Shakil

Traffic tickets on N-400

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

is there any way to get a record of all the traffic tickets i have ever got in California?

You can go to the DMV and get a print-out. The USCIS is not worried about traffic tickets in general, unless you were arrested, or the fine was above a certain amount. If you report things unnecessarily, you just complicate your case.

You can go to the DMV and get a print-out. The USCIS is not worried about traffic tickets in general, unless you were arrested, or the fine was above a certain amount. If you report things unnecessarily, you just complicate your case.

well that is actually what i did. i did not report anything on my N400. but i read that some people say you need to report them but no need for supporting doument if they are below 500. so not sure what is best to do

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

well that is actually what i did. i did not report anything on my N400. but i read that some people say you need to report them but no need for supporting doument if they are below 500. so not sure what is best to do

Usually it's not worth the trouble unless you have other issues that you are dealing with on your N-400. The general rule (from the IO I had and the USCIS when I contacted them about this) is that no, you do not have to declare any traffic tickets as long as they were under $500 and not DUI/Drug related.

If they do want to see the ticket because they are questioning your moral status, then during the interview they will request that and then you can go through the process of attempting to track everything down. Most cases though, it won't be an issue. Sometimes they'll ask you if you have ever gotten a ticket for anything (not just traffic). Just tell them the truth, most times they'll just ask if it was DUI/Drug related or over $500 at all and if not, they'll just continue on.

Yes there have been reported cases of IO's requesting the proof, but usually that is only when the person has other issues. This still doesn't mean you couldn't get a IO that is super strict either. But generally it's not worth the hassle going through trying to track them down unless requested to do so...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Usually it's not worth the trouble unless you have other issues that you are dealing with on your N-400. The general rule (from the IO I had and the USCIS when I contacted them about this) is that no, you do not have to declare any traffic tickets as long as they were under $500 and not DUI/Drug related.

If they do want to see the ticket because they are questioning your moral status, then during the interview they will request that and then you can go through the process of attempting to track everything down. Most cases though, it won't be an issue. Sometimes they'll ask you if you have ever gotten a ticket for anything (not just traffic). Just tell them the truth, most times they'll just ask if it was DUI/Drug related or over $500 at all and if not, they'll just continue on.

Yes there have been reported cases of IO's requesting the proof, but usually that is only when the person has other issues. This still doesn't mean you couldn't get a IO that is super strict either. But generally it's not worth the hassle going through trying to track them down unless requested to do so...

thank you for the detailed answer.

i think i am going to not worry too much and mention my traffic tickets in the interview and if they ask for proof, then i go after it.

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

My interview is on this Monday 3/31/2014. I also am in the same boat. I entered no for 'any arrest, detained or cited'. Now I do not have any time to go to DMV to get any records. I have had traffic tickets in the past. I am so stressed now. What should I do if the IO asks the same question - 'Have you ever been arrested, detained or cited by a police officer?'

Please help.

Thanks.

Timeline

Yes, thats what I have been trying to gather. I was just trying to reply JustBob's post when he said he didn't wanna reply but just couldn't help it and ... I was just explaining what the Original post was about. I will take the driving record with me to the interview.

Hi Shakil,

Your post has been helpful. Thank you.

I am also in the same situation as you. I didn't know that we have put enter yes for traffic tickets too. I have had speeding tickets in the past. My interview is in this monday. Only four more days to go. My question now is -

1. Should I tell my IO without him asking about them specifically that I have had traffic tickets in the past, buut my DL is in valid status?

2. Or should I wait until he brings it up?

3. Should I tell him about my past tickets when he asks about detain / cited etc.,?

Please help. I'm freaking out here.

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hi,

My interview is on this Monday 3/31/2014. I also am in the same boat. I entered no for 'any arrest, detained or cited'. Now I do not have any time to go to DMV to get any records. I have had traffic tickets in the past. I am so stressed now. What should I do if the IO asks the same question - 'Have you ever been arrested, detained or cited by a police officer?'

Please help.

Thanks.

When I had my interview the officer asked me that question and i said "does that include speeding tickets? " she said yes. Do I told her about my 4 speeding tickets (one of them was dismissed but I told her about it anyway). She noted the dates ( I couldn't remember exactly tge dates for two of my tickets). At the end we laughed about the fact that I speed to much and she approved me. Don't stress it out to much. As long as they are not serious offenses you don't have to worry.

Timeline

Thank you. What if they dont mention anything about that. Do I have to bring up the subject myself and declare about the tickets? Sorry for asking dumb questions. But...

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.