Autumnal

Evidence Needed for 5 Year Package

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am finally getting around to applying for naturalization on the basis of having lived in the US continuously as a permanent resident for five years. I'm not looking to qualify through marriage/my spouse. Looking through the application form, it seems like the needed evidence is extremely scanty:

• Payment/cheque
  • Application
  • Photocopy of PR card
  • 2 identical colour photos
  • Form G-1145 e-notification

Can the community confirm this is correct? Would I be wise to send along other information (like copies of my marriage certificate, driver's license, birth certificate, spouse's driver's license; my last three years' tax returns) or should it be okay the way it is? I don't want to be NTE'd but I also would prefer not to confuse the immigration official into thinking my spouse needs to show up or something.

Thanks!

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am finally getting around to applying for naturalization on the basis of having lived in the US continuously as a permanent resident for five years. I'm not looking to qualify through marriage/my spouse. Looking through the application form, it seems like the needed evidence is extremely scanty:

• Payment/cheque
  • Application
  • Photocopy of PR card
  • 2 identical colour photos
  • Form G-1145 e-notification

Can the community confirm this is correct? Would I be wise to send along other information (like copies of my marriage certificate, driver's license, birth certificate, spouse's driver's license; my last three years' tax returns) or should it be okay the way it is? I don't want to be NTE'd but I also would prefer not to confuse the immigration official into thinking my spouse needs to show up or something.

That's all we sent in for the five year, with exception of the G-1145, just lived our lives, and looked in our mail box. First get the biometrics appointment, then interview appointment, then oath letter appointment. Well we got some stupid decision cannot be made because of non- require proof of paying a small traffic violation, but my senators office took care of that.

Thanks!

Filed: Other Timeline

Your evidence of being a lawful permanent resident for 5 years is your Green Card.

Your evidence that you haven't been outside the U.S. for too long is your passport.

Your evidence that you have filed your income taxes is your past 5 years' worth of tax transcripts.

Copies of all those you should submit with your application; the originals you will bring with you to the interview.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Your evidence of being a lawful permanent resident for 5 years is your Green Card.

Your evidence that you haven't been outside the U.S. for too long is your passport.

Your evidence that you have filed your income taxes is your past 5 years' worth of tax transcripts.

Copies of all those you should submit with your application; the originals you will bring with you to the interview.

That's what I was curious about, given that I didn't see anything about the passport or tax transcripts for the 5 year green card holders. I have the three years of tax transcripts for my spouse and I as a precaution, and there's only one stamp in my passport for a trip to Scotland last year for two weeks.

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Timeline

That's what I was curious about, given that I didn't see anything about the passport or tax transcripts for the 5 year green card holders. I have the three years of tax transcripts for my spouse and I as a precaution, and there's only one stamp in my passport for a trip to Scotland last year for two weeks.

Did get fours years of tax transcripts for my stepdaughter at her interview just in case, we did not mail those in with the application. Her IO didn't want to see those. Yes, you should bring your passport along in case that want to verify your one trip, stepdaughter had two, her IO wanted to see that. Its really difficult to guess what your IO will want to see. But this post is about what to send in with your application. Application, copy of green card, two passport photos, oh, and the check.

• 2 months later...

Well it does say specifically to include both sides of the Green Card, but it does not say anything about evidence of tax filing.

I also am filing on 5 years in the next couple of weeks and was just going to include the same as you.

Anybody filed 5 years withour tax transcripts?

AOS/EAD/AP Filed:2006-09-23
AP Approved:2006-10-30
EAD Approved!:2006-11-02
AOS Approved!:2007-02-12

Remove Conditions filed:2008-11-13
Green Card Received:2009-01-30

N400 Filed:2013-01-25 (Phoenix)
Biometrics:2013-02-25 (Grand Rapids)
Interview:2013-05-07(Detroit)

Oath Ceremony:2013-05-24(Marquette)

Hi! I filed using the 5 yr but its the first time I heard about tax filings. My interview is tomorrow... Feel like its panic time to go gather all our tax returns..and for 5 years? Pls tell me someones just kidding...

Aussie girl

Well it does say specifically to include both sides of the Green Card, but it does not say anything about evidence of tax filing.

I also am filing on 5 years in the next couple of weeks and was just going to include the same as you.

*** CR1 process ***

05/08/2004 - got married (Sydney, Australia)

07/26/2004 - USC mailed I-130 packet to VSC (mine/son)

09/04/2004 - I-130 Approved - yey!!!

04/19/2005 - medicals

05/13/2005 - interview schedule

05/10/2005 - Visa approved! :D

06/24/2005 - Depart Dublin - Arrived at JFK

*** I-751 process ***

04/30/2007 - Mailed I-751 (Mine/son) to VSC

05/30/2007 - check cashed (only my fee and biometrics, not my son's)

06/14/2007 - recvd NOA1 (letter of one year extension)

06/24/2007 - Aussie Girl's condl PRC expires

06/27/2007 - Biometrics appt. Done!

12/14/2007 - Aussie Girl's removal of condition approved!

*** N-400 process ***

03/25/2008 - eligible to apply for US Citzenship

08/05/2011 - sent N-400

08/11/2011 - check cashed

08/16/2011 - received NOA (priority date 08/09/2011)

08/22/2011 - USCIS sent Fprint schedule

08/25/2011 - received Biometrics letter

09/08/2011 - Fingerprinting appointment

10/07/2011 - Interview scheduled; Interview letter issued

11/15/2011 - Interview appointment - now a U.S. Citizen!

Hi! I filed using the 5 yr but its the first time I heard about tax filings. My interview is tomorrow... Feel like its panic time to go gather all our tax returns..and for 5 years? Pls tell me someones just kidding...

Aussie girl

There is no need to include 5 years tax transcripts with your application. It is however recommended to have the 5 years tax transcript with you during the interview in case the officer asks for them. I filed for my N-400 without including any tax transcripts in my application package but I had the transcripts with me during the interview. At the interview, the officer just asked "Are you filing your taxes?" which I answered positively and that was it. He did not want to see any transcripts in my case.

You do not have any reason to panic since you will be most likely fine during your interview. The worst case is that the officer will want to see the transcripts before making a decision on your case. So the worst case is a delay in your approval; so just relax and go to your interview with peace of mind.

Best of luck!

Timeline

Aussie girl

Difficult to predict what your IO wants, doesn't seem to be any set rules. Did toss in 4 years of tax returns, and stepdaughters grade transcripts for the past five years. Her IO didn't want to see those, but did want to see proof of payment of a minor traffic violation like four years ago that caused a decision cannot be made at this time. Senators office straightened him out in a hurry on this issue. We did get proof this fine was paid, but never showed it.

Filed: Other Timeline

No need to panic since you already stated in your N-400 application that you have never failed to file a required income tax return. You will also be interviewed under oath, so don't go gagga over nothing.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Exactly. Once you hit the 5 yr mark, marriage evidence is basically ignored (not necessary). I hit my 5th year, although not intentional. Realized it after the fact. As long as you have passport & GC, that's it. Evidence becomes irrelevant.

--

02/27/08 - sent I-751 (remove conditions)

03/07/08 - check cleared

04/24/08 - transferred to VSC

04/25/08 - touched

08/??/08 - reschedule photo & prints

09/19/08 - photo & fingerprints

12/25/08 - touched

12/31/08 - card production ordered

06/14/11 - N-400 app sent

06/16/11 - N-400 NOA

07/07/11 - Biometrics appt.

09/07/11 - N-400 Interview

09/26/11 - Oath ceremony

Thank u everyone for all the info. My son and I are cuurently waitingin a coffee bar somewhere 200 yards from the federal bldg. 1 hour and a half away from appt time. and then....i just saw the passport photos not required but is recommended to bring...huh huh huh... What are the pictures for....pls tell me they dont really need it...

Thanks

aussie girl

*** CR1 process ***

04/19/2005 - medicals

*** I-751 process ***

*** N-400 process ***

08/05/2011 - sent N-400

Thank u everyone for all the info. My son and I are cuurently waitingin a coffee bar somewhere 200 yards from the federal bldg. 1 hour and a half away from appt time. and then....i just saw the passport photos not required but is recommended to bring...huh huh huh... What are the pictures for....pls tell me they dont really need it...

Thanks

aussie girl

It is again just in case they lost them and ask for them during the interview. However, 99.99% of the time they do not ask for them. So just relax, you'll be fine. Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

Great news my friends! My son and I are now U.S. citizens. My son had his interview all passed and approved in a record 10 mins and mine passed and approved in 17 minutes. All completed at 12 noon back at 2:00 p.m. for the Oath ceremony. You were all very right! IO never asked for my tax filings and scripts nor for the pictures. Just asked me if I have been filing my taxes for which I answered 'yes'. IO was friendly, precise, efficient and quick. Started with the history test stopped at question # 6 because I got it all correct. Asked me to read a sentence 'Where is the White House', Told me to write 'The white house is in Washington, D.C.'. She had my folder 10 inches thick in front of her, checked everything she need to check asking me several questions related to marriage documents etc as she ticked each one she requires. She just made sure copies of of previous required documents( U.S. marriage related papers) are in the folder. We talked about my indicated preference to change my first name and I asked her if its going to mean that I won't be able to take the oath at 2:00 p.m today. She said not really but it could mean taking the oath at another day (in Baltimore the special name change oath taking occurs once a month and I already missed this month's), when I said I then changed my mind about changing my first name and that I would like her to include me in this afternoon's oath taking, she went out of the room to confirm if I haven't been booked yet and she processed my approval and oath taking for 2:00 p.m. After reminding me that really the best way to change the name is during this process because I will have to go to all blah blah etc procedures if I decide I want to change my name later. I told her I am very certain and sure that I'd rather be a U.S. citizen today she smiled at me and said..ok you got it...

All in all the hardest time in this N400 stage was the waiting... we left the house at 8:30 a.m. arrived at the place our appt is at 10:40 a.m. We are told in the letter not to arrive too early, so hanged around in a coffee shop nearby. Went inside the building at 10:15 a.m. and stayed int he waiting room, by the time I got called for the interview it was 11:45. My son was called at exactly 10:40 the appt time. Stayed around in the baltimore downtown just nearby the bldg area for the 2:00 p.m. oath ceremony. we were told to make sure we are back in the waiting room by 1:45 p.m. At exactly 2:00 p.m. everyone in the waiting room was told to form a single line and we were all escoted to the 7th flr bldg where each one of us 60 U.S. naturalization candidates were individually processed (we gave up our green card and submitted the paper that the IO earlier gave us. Oath ceremony finished at exactly 3:00 p.m. On the way home at 3:05 p.m. got home at 3:45 p.m. But I feel so tired now but I am thankful its all done.Btw, We were told to wait 10 days before applying for a U.S. passport and to make sure we get a certified copy of the U.S. Naturalization certificate before sending off the original to the Dept of State for the U.S. passport.

Thank you everyone for all your moral support.

Aussie Girl

It is again just in case they lost them and ask for them during the interview. However, 99.99% of the time they do not ask for them. So just relax, you'll be fine. Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

*** CR1 process ***

04/19/2005 - medicals

*** I-751 process ***

*** N-400 process ***

08/05/2011 - sent N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.