monyfer

Cheapest/Safest way to get from El Paso to Ciudad Juarez?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am planning to fly into El Paso and then figure out some way to get to Ciudad Juarez where I will meet my fiance for his interview. I have already searched for the best way to get there and I do see a lot of people recommend taxis or this Victor Garcia shuttle service...however it looks to be around $50 each way, or a total of $100 round trip. Ouch!

I'd like to find a LESS expensive but still relatively safe way to cross. I mean, it's only like ten minutes from El Paso to CDJ, right?

Has anyone who has done the taxi-bridge-walk over-other taxi method been successful and do they feel it is safe? Are there safe legit taxis waiting on the CDJ side? What about for returning? How much less would this cost? What about taking a city bus into CDJ from El Paso and returning as such? Is that possible?

I've lived in Mexico (relatively dangerous parts of the country, actually..) and speak fluent Spanish (and look Mexican even though I'm not) so I feel okay figuring out a non-direct-taxi method, but nonetheless a female traveling alone to the murder capital of the world needs to be as careful as possible (hopefully while saving some $$ though)...any tips would be appreciated.

K-1 Visa Journey

October 1, 2010: I-129F sent

October 5, 2010: I-129F received

October 12, 2010: NOA1 e-mail received, routed to VSC

October 16, 2010: NOA1 hard copy received (dated October 7, 2010)

April 18, 2011: RFE e-mail

April 20, 2011: RFE hardcopy received

April 20, 2011: RFE response sent to VSC

May 2, 2011: E-mail confirming VSC has received RFE response

July 27, 2011: NOA2 e-mail received (9 months, 2 weeks, and 6 days (292 days) after NOA1

July 30, 2011: NOA2 hard copy

August 4, 2011: NVC received case

August 8, 2011: NVC forwarded case to US Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

August 8, 2011: Consulate received case

August 25, 2011: Consulate mailed packet 3

September 3, 2011: Received Packet 3 in US

September 20, 2011: Interview! Not enough information in the system to make a decision

September 26, 2011: K1 visa approved and received via DHL

October 20, 2011: POE at Phoenix, Arizona

October 26, 2011: Married

AOS Journey

11-7-2011 - AOS package sent to lockbox in Chicago, IL

11-9-2011 - AOS package delivered and signed for

11-15-2011 - NOA1 e-mails received (NOA1 date November 10), routed to NBC

11-16-2011 - Check Cashed

11-21-2011 - Hard Copies & Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

11-29-2011 - Biometrics done via walk-in! (Originally scheduled for 12/14/11)

12-2-2011 - Case transferred to CSC

1-17-2012 - EAD/AP Card Production Ordered

1-25-2012 - EAD/AP card received in mail

3-7-2012 - RFE issued

3-19-2012 - RFE response received by CSC

4-4-2012 - Green Card Production!

4-10-12 - GC received in mail

January 3, 2014: ROC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

hi, I too am looking into flying into El Paso, but all the people that i've talked to recommend i just fly to cuidad juarez, mostly because i am a female and would be traveling alone since my husband would be flying from guadalajara. although i'm still early in the process i've been looking into flights for juarez and i know they are super expensive, but like you said, Juarez is the murder capital of the world. Even my husband was totally against me flying to Texas and crossing the border by myself. but let me know of your experience if you do decide to travel to Texas. i'd appreciate any info you can pass along...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Dangerous in my opinion try and find the safest way to travel and do for it, do you have any native / Mexican assistance?

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I would like to know too...anyone have thoughts?

I-129F Sent : 2011-03-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-03-21

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-01

NVC Received : 2011-07-08

NVC Left : 2011-07-14

Consulate Received : 2011-07-18

Packet 3 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A very helpful organization is the El Paso Convention & Visitors' Bureau: http://www.visitelpaso.com/contact

They even have a toll-free phone number, si man. :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Another thought...does anyone know if any of the vehicle companies have cars with Sentri registration?

I-129F Sent : 2011-03-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-03-21

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-01

NVC Received : 2011-07-08

NVC Left : 2011-07-14

Consulate Received : 2011-07-18

Packet 3 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am planning to fly into El Paso and then figure out some way to get to Ciudad Juarez where I will meet my fiance for his interview. I have already searched for the best way to get there and I do see a lot of people recommend taxis or this Victor Garcia shuttle service...however it looks to be around $50 each way, or a total of $100 round trip. Ouch!

I'd like to find a LESS expensive but still relatively safe way to cross. I mean, it's only like ten minutes from El Paso to CDJ, right?

Has anyone who has done the taxi-bridge-walk over-other taxi method been successful and do they feel it is safe? Are there safe legit taxis waiting on the CDJ side? What about for returning? How much less would this cost? What about taking a city bus into CDJ from El Paso and returning as such? Is that possible?

I've lived in Mexico (relatively dangerous parts of the country, actually..) and speak fluent Spanish (and look Mexican even though I'm not) so I feel okay figuring out a non-direct-taxi method, but nonetheless a female traveling alone to the murder capital of the world needs to be as careful as possible (hopefully while saving some $$ though)...any tips would be appreciated.

Have you tried taking a flight to El paso and then taking greyhound to ciudad juarez? its really cheap!

c1wTm5.png

f0p0kac3jwb.png

Timeline

Maybe this helps? I spent 8 days in Juarez last week and drove my car around the city, we went to several malls, supermarkets (S Mart is great) downtown to the cathedral and I felt very safe. People were out going about there daily lives, everyone was friendly, around the consulate it is very safe, no problems, except the coyotes. Yes I watched the news every night and on average 6 murders per day, 20 on the weekends..I never went out at night, just use common sense, you'll be fine.

Good luck

Ed

• 8 years later...
Timeline

Hello, 

It is so cheaper to fly from Tijuana, BC or another Mexican airport into Cuidad Juarez than flying there directly and saves the hassle of crossing over! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.