Brusik

Ukraine Losing it's way??

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

Ukraine Loses Its Way 4bbf0b129852b2c.png

PRAGUE - Since the election of President Viktor Yanukovych in 2010, Ukraine has experienced a significant and alarming deterioration in its democratic framework. Fundamental tenets of a democratic society, such as freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, and freedom of the press are increasingly coming under pressure. And the prosecution of opposition members, which has now culminated in the arrest and detention of former Prime Minister Yuliya Tymoshenko - during an ongoing trial that most of the West has deemed political - seems to confirm that the rule of law is being brushed aside. Given Ukraine's strategic importance, the country's fate has become an urgent matter of concern not only for Europe, but for the entire international community. Among the most worrying factors underlying Ukraine's anti-democratic turn are the following:

richard_von_weizscker.pngConsolidation of power. After Viktor Yanukovych's election last year, the Constitutional Court rescinded constitutional changes made in 2004 as part of the settlement that brought about a peaceful end to the Orange Revolution. By doing so, a consensus was reversed that aimed to reduce the presidency's powers and move toward a more parliamentary system. Instead, Ukraine's president is now increasingly consolidating his total control over the executive, the legislature, and the judiciary.

Endemic corruption. Corruption is widely believed to be endemic in the country's police, secret service, administration, government, and Prosecutor's Office. On Transparency International´s Corruption Perceptions Index 2010, Ukraine scored 2.4 on a scale from zero (highly corrupt) to 10 (very clean). Efforts to combat corruption are at best half-hearted and are not bringing any apparent results. Corruption cripples the country´s institutions and the government´s inaction on this problem is also having an economic impact.

Increased Security Service (SBU) activity. Evidence of increased SBU activity with political motives was presented in various human rights groups´ reports. Individuals, NGOs, and journalists have been either overtly threatened or placed under surveillance. For example, in July 2010, Nico Lange, the head of the Ukrainian office of the Konrad Adenauer Foundation, was detained at the Kyiv airport after publishing a critical report on the process of Ukrainian regional elections (the incident was subsequently presented as a "misunderstanding"). In September, SBU searched the offices of organizations funded by philanthropist George Soros; in October 2010, the offices of the Vinnitsa Human Rights Group were also searched by police without a court order.

Harassment of opposition parties and independent media. The ongoing criminal proceedings against opposition politicians, including Tymoshenko, together with the impact of changes in the electoral law to favor the president and his supporters, are weakening opposition forces.

desmond_tutu.pngHarassment of the independent media ranges from administrative obstruction to much worse. The disappearance of Vasyl Klymentyev, the editor-in-chief of Novyi Styl, a newspaper which focuses heavily on corruption in the Kharkiv region, has never been fully investigated. Most television channels are in the hands of four groups, most of which have close links to the ruling Party of Regions. Valery Khoroshkovsky's continued ownership of Inter Media Group, in addition to his roles as head of the country's security service and as a Council Member of the National Bank of Ukraine, is an obvious conflict of interest. Overall, there is clear evidence of a decline in media pluralism since President Yanukovych came to power.

A weak civil society. While observers believe that further harassment of NGOs is constrained by the administration's wariness of international reaction, particularly from the EU, the operating environment for civil-society organizations remains extremely difficult, and they have no opportunities for genuine inclusion in policymaking.

Ukraine has reached a crossroads. One signpost points towards democracy; the other towards autocracy. The former path leads to membership in the European Union; the latter would take Ukraine to a darker and more dangerous destination. Millions of Ukraine's citizens favor EU membership, but their enthusiasm is tempered by the absence of a clear EU policy towards Ukraine.

Meanwhile, the administration of President Yanukovych proclaims its willingness to join the EU, but has failed to introduce the changes needed to meet the qualifying criteria. As a result, Ukraine is unlikely to be invited to start membership negotiations anytime soon.

It is in the EU's vital interest to strive for a far more active policy towards Ukraine than it has so far. The current Polish EU presidency should hark back to the origins of Poland's thriving democracy, and recall the essential support that it received from the West a generation ago. A similar effort is needed for Ukraine today, and that effort should not be set aside for reasons of political expedience, or, for that matter, pursued for reasons of simple economic self-interest. We urge the EU and its member states to insist that the rule of law is respected. At the very least, the EU should demand that Tymoshenko and the other opposition leaders are set free on bail so that they can more vigorously defend themselves in court.

Yanukovych is unlikely to back off his attacks or consolidation of power. He has closed schools and cut back on other programs as a "way of saving money" while at the same time he has beefed up his personal security and made large improvements to his dacha. He envisions himself as the true ruler of Ukraine and doesn't really care what anyone else says. :angry:

The people of Ukraine are not going to be able to survive this idiot if he is allowed to run through the constitution with his personal black marker. What can we say or do to save Ukraine? :help:

What can we say or do to save Ukraine? :help:

Deport every Stalin and/or Kremlin loving commie descendant east of Kyiv back to Russia. Start with Donetsk Oblast and the Crim . It's a start in the right direction imo.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

http://news.yahoo.com/tymoshenko-backers-scuffle-ukrainian-police-162449850.html;_ylt=Ah64joFj_QwlE3047EH1bQ50bBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTQ0bWZndXQ4BG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBXb3JsZFNGIEV1cm9wZVNTRgRwa2cDMjhkZjZmZjAtNTg0MC0zNDJmLWFkZWQtYmQwNzA5ZmYxZWI4BHBvcwM5BHNlYwN0b3Bfc3RvcnkEdmVyA2EyNjhlMGEwLWQ3ZjAtMTFlMC04ZmZmLTc1ZDI0OTVmNjRmMg--;_ylg=X3oDMTIwZ2J1NzRyBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZHxldXJvcGUEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnMEdGVzdAM-;_ylv=3

Tymoshenko backers scuffle with Ukrainian police

AP – 6 hrs ago

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — Police in riot gear ripped down a protest encampment in the center of Kiev on Monday, scuffling with supporters of jailed former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko.

Tensions are growing as Tymoshenko's abuse-of-office trial draws to a close, and a verdict is expected later this month. She was arrested in August on charges of contempt of court during a trial that she has described as being politically motivated.

Tymoshenko's supporters have been holding protests at an encampment outside Kiev's Pechersk court, where the trial is taking place. Demonstrators erected five new tents across the street from the courthouse Monday, prompting police to take action.

Police moved in and tore down the tents, and detained several demonstrators who tried to resist. They would not comment on the operation.

Prosecutors say the 50-year-old opposition leader abused her powers by signing a natural gas import contract with Russia in 2009 that they say was disadvantageous to Ukraine.

Tymoshenko has criticized the trial as an attempt by President Viktor Yanukovych to bar her from elections. Yanukovych narrowly defeated Tymoshenko in presidential elections held last year.

The judge overseeing her trial ordered Tymoshenko's arrest for contempt of court early last month after she repeatedly interrupted proceedings and refused to rise when addressing the court. Lawyers for Tymoshenko said Monday they have filed 17 separate requests for her to be released from custody.

The United States and the European Union have condemned court cases against Tymoshenko and several of her top allies as selective prosecution of the government's political opponents.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

I wish they'd strip her bare and make her march through the streets.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I wish they'd strip her bare and make her march through the streets.

I knew we could count on Slim to give something all the guys would like to see. :rofl:

I'm okay with it as long as she is out of prison and has time to recover from the rat poison. :angry:

I knew we could count on Slim to give something all the guys would like to see. :rofl:

I'm okay with it as long as she is out of prison and has time to recover from the rat poison. :angry:

I was never a big Yulia fan...she stuck a knife in Yushenko's back one too many times. But what's happening to her now is typical Kremlin justice/politics from the days of the Tsar and afterwards the Soviet Union. It's called eliminating any kind of opposition no matter how corrupt the means.

Tsar Putin does it.

Lukashenko does it.

And Yanukovych does it.

sigbet.jpg

Exactly why she should be paraded through the streets... with no clothes on.

If they find her guilty, pudding wrestling is in order.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

To lose the way you need to find one. Ukraine hasn't found it yet.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.