10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello and good evening everyone. We received and RFE for my wifes I-751. In the letter the IO who interviewed us is saying that our marriage is fraudgulent. Their asking for all receipts and or list off items her parents used the money for she sent back to them to help in support of money problems. I don't know how on earth we will get receipts cause they don't give receipts for things purchased in thailand, and for the list of items purchased the entire two years is going to be a nightmare. I called the office to talk to the person in charge their and he said that the dollar amount she was sending home and not using to help in our marriage raises alot of questions. He said that they are cracking down on cases similar to ours where the immigrant ends up becoming a public charge. I made a comment that it sounds like racial profiling and he got mad saying they are doing this to others not just immigrants from Thailand. America can't afford to take on any more public charges cause the married couples can't take financial responsibilities and set limits on what to send back. Just follow what is said in the notice and send the required information, and don't call back and make comments like you said to me. I want to know if itsif I am unable to get the information required should i get a lawyer? I am not able to afford a lawyer at the moment.

I want to know if itsif I am unable to get the information required should i get a lawyer? I am not able to afford a lawyer at the moment.

Do the best you can with the RFE. If you can't come up with receipts, have some sort of list of what money was sent, when, and what it was used for. Attach a letter where you explain that you can't come up with two-year-old receipts and this is the best information you can gather at this time.

And don't tell the employees they're being racist. That's not going to get you anything positive, and if the IO has a bad feeling about you they can reject your application outright. At least they're still considering it. An immigration visa is a privilege, not a right. Don't demand things or question their efforts.

It's a government agency. Remain calm and collected, respond to a request with the best information you have, and wait.

Care,

Bill

Hi Thailover.. I am sorry that you going through this. The person you talked to is correct that their doing this to others. Theirs another person here on VisaJourney that got denied cause of how much his wife is sending back. I hope things will work out for you.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/322837-i-751-denied/

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello and good evening everyone. We received and RFE for my wifes I-751. In the letter the IO who interviewed us is saying that our marriage is fraudgulent. Their asking for all receipts and or list off items her parents used the money for she sent back to them to help in support of money problems. I don't know how on earth we will get receipts cause they don't give receipts for things purchased in thailand, and for the list of items purchased the entire two years is going to be a nightmare. I called the office to talk to the person in charge their and he said that the dollar amount she was sending home and not using to help in our marriage raises alot of questions. He said that they are cracking down on cases similar to ours where the immigrant ends up becoming a public charge. I made a comment that it sounds like racial profiling and he got mad saying they are doing this to others not just immigrants from Thailand. America can't afford to take on any more public charges cause the married couples can't take financial responsibilities and set limits on what to send back. Just follow what is said in the notice and send the required information, and don't call back and make comments like you said to me. I want to know if itsif I am unable to get the information required should i get a lawyer? I am not able to afford a lawyer at the moment.

From what I read here USCIS sent you a letter indicating the marrige is a fraud because money is sent back to Thailand to her parents. I cant imagine how this came up in the interview but your responce caused the RFE.

I appears they are questioning the amount of money sent & its impact on your ability to pay your bills in America. Even is thats true it doesnt mean your marrige is fraudulate. It may mean you arent good money managers or accountants. If your income is enough to pay your bills in America what you do with the remainder shouldnt be in question.

USCIS has no idea about daily life in Thailand where we dont get reciepts for most things. Here in the USA we get them for everything. The officer issued the RFE based on what they know. You made a huge mistake in attacking the officer by saying what you did. Did you expect that to help or for them to agree?

You already know you cant get the reciepts. Neither can a lawyer. What you can do is form the best responce possible to the RFE. An accounting of your income & expenses. A letter explaining why reciepts arent avalible. The reason for the support of the family in Thailand. The fact that this is normal & part of our culture. A statement about what the money is spent on in Thailand such as basic needs for which there are no reciepts. A statement that explains how the managment of the money is part of the strength of your marrige. The connection by both to the family back in Thailand isnt a burden, rather a privilage. The fact that many couples here in the USA support their family with money every month. All you can do is provide your best responce to the RFE & let USCIS decide the outcome.

I am sure others will have some ideas on how to approach this too.

Filed: Timeline

How did they even find out your wife sends money to Thailand? Is it shown on the bank statement? On the bankstatement, it doesn't have anything that you guys pay utilties, grocery and such? Or just money in and out to her parents only. That does sound weird! And is it a checking account?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree, I have heard a few people mention a problem and USCIS is cracking down. Seems to me if your bills are paid and you wish to help your wifes parents it should not be a problem. As others have said I am wondering how they know you sent money to them? Was it bank statements? Jim.

Timeline

Their asking for all receipts and or list off items her parents used the money for she sent back to them to help in support of money problems.

I am just wondering why they were able to know about that kind of transaction of sending money back home? Is it really a big deal to the immigration if we will send money back to our love ones even if it's not an issue to the people concern, i mean the couple? I don't think it's not right to call a marriage a fraud with this kind of issue, don't you think?

Timeline

How did they find out how much money was going to Thailand?

also been wondering about it? do they trace their remittances or whatsoever? so if i am going to send money to my parents then i might be also facing this kind of problem sooner then...

Timeline

Maybe the ones that this happen to can explain better. I am wondering if it was any amount or because it was monthly sent or if they just look at the total percent coming from the couple. I could understand if sending so much that the couple always broke that would mean your wife don't care about the marriage but if you can meet your bills and send some to parents why is it not ok? It seems they are judging by US culture. Normally your parents here had a job and retirement so no need to send any. But thet should understand the other culture too. Jim.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.