Collie

transferring uk credit to u.s.?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Has anyone transferred their uk credit rating to the u.s. and had it translated into a u.s. score?

We are meeting with a credit advisory agency to repair shannons creddit and help to get mine off the ground and he mentioned this on the phone. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done this:)

Kat

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

I had great credit back in the UK, and contacted the agencies directly to see if I could get it transferred over...with no luck. I had to start all over again - but I was told that the UK agencies will not report to the US, both Equifax and Experion told me this. Getting credit was a right pain in the rear, but I suggest starting at Target and applying for one of their little red cards, then eight/ten months later, go for a credit card.

Trying to get a cell phone for the first year was a joke, it took me about eleven months before I was finally able to get a cell phone in my name. But we actually got our first car loan earlier this year - we've had quite a few hits recently, with my phone, credit card, apartment rental checks for moving twice and the car loan, so we're waiting until the middle of next year before trying for a home loan.

Hope you have an easier time with it than me, I found the whole credit-building process very frustrating.

P.S Don't try Old Navy for a store card, they are stinkers when you're first starting out!! ;)

P.P.S Let me know if you have better success with getting anything transferred over here, I'd be interested in knowing the process!!

01/10/05 - Arrived back in US

01/26/05 - Got Married! WooHoo!

02/14/05 - Had Medical Exam

02/22/05 - Filed for AOS in Seattle, in person

03/31/05 - Got EAD!!

04/02/05 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

05/19/05 - AOS Interview - awaiting decision...

08/24/05 - (conditional) Permanent Resident

09/08/05 - Passport stamped in Seattle

09/19/05 - Recieved actual Greencard! YAY!!!

05/24/07 - 90 days to remove conditions starts!

06/02/07 - Filed I-751, California Service Center

08/09/07 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

08/28/07 - I-751 Approved & conditions are removed!

09/12/07 - Recieved 10 year Greencard! YEAH!!!

*now contemplating N-400 and citizenship*

I too have heard that you cannot transfer credit rating no more than you can transfer your driviing history or anything like that ;)

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Has anyone transferred their uk credit rating to the u.s. and had it translated into a u.s. score?

Moving to American should be considered a "New Start". In both good and bad ways!

The answer to your question is no.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

The credit reporting agencies, even if they operate in both the UK and the US, do not share data. I too had great credit in the UK but had to start from scratch over here.

The only example I can think of where credit held in the UK could be transferred is with American Express. I beleive that if you have an AMEX card in the UK, they will look up your record and transfer the credit history to a newly issued US card.

I did hear once that mortgage lenders *may* be willing to request an international credit report if its likely to secure some business for them. Again... I think this is probably more the exception than the rule.

Generally speaking making the move stateside will mean starting from scratch in the credit department. It happens to all of us immigrants but in my experience it doesn't take a huge amount of time to get the ball rolling in the right direction. I arrived in March and had my own credit card by June.

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

My credit was transferred from Germany (Deutsche Bank) to the US (Bank of America). In the bank here in NC they said it was no problem because B of A and Deutsche Bank cooperate. I got a credit card with $5.500 credit line right away.

Who also cooperates with B of A is Barclays, PNB Paribas and some other banks. Go to your local B of A and ask!!!! I gave them my info from Germany plus my German Mastercard number, and within 5 days I had my American Visacard in mail.,...

Good luck!

Anna

oh here I found the list of banks from my old posting: The banks I think are Scotiabank, Westpac, Barclays. Those cooperate with Deutsche Bank and I believe they do also with Bank of America.

Edited by Anna C.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

It can be hard because you're restricted. I guess it's a new start!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

us_tx_2faws_small.gif Lauren - Texas, USA and James - England, UK 3dflagsdotcom_uk_2faws.gif

28th May 06 - Arrive in Texas!

8th July 06 - Married!!!

3rd August 06 - EAD received at USCIS

29th August 06 - Biometrics

18th September 06 - Case (AOS) transfered to CSC on 9/14 (advised by mail)

4/6/10th October 06 - EAD touched!

11th October 06 - Email from USCIS - EAD Approved on 10/10! Card on the way!

16th October 06 - EAD card received!

16th October 06 - EAD Application email received confirming letter to be sent.

22nd February 07 - Email sent to USCIS requesting an update.

5th March 07 - Case touched! AOS is now "pending" at the CSC! Progress!

5th March 07 - Email from CSC confirming I am awaiting the results of the FBI name check.

27th April 07 - Email received. A notice requesting additional info has been mailed.

4th May 07 - RFE letter arrived.

21st May 07 - RFE docs returned to USCIS by mail.

6th June 07 - Email from CRIS saying RFE received and case processing has resumed!

26th June 07 - Phone call from a USCIS officer at the CSC in California asking for a copy of my I-94 by fax.

27th June 07 - InfoPass appointment at 745am.

12th August 07 - Email from CRIS - Green Card on order as of 8/11!

15th August 07 - Email from CRIS - Welcome Notice sent.

18th August 07 - Welcome Notice Received.

20th August 07 - GC received!

Filed: Other Timeline
My credit was transferred from Germany (Deutsche Bank) to the US (Bank of America). In the bank here in NC they said it was no problem because B of A and Deutsche Bank cooperate. I got a credit card with $5.500 credit line right away.

Who also cooperates with B of A is Barclays, PNB Paribas and some other banks. Go to your local B of A and ask!!!! I gave them my info from Germany plus my German Mastercard number, and within 5 days I had my American Visacard in mail.,...

Good luck!

Anna

oh here I found the list of banks from my old posting: The banks I think are Scotiabank, Westpac, Barclays. Those cooperate with Deutsche Bank and I believe they do also with Bank of America.

Interesting!

Thanks for the heads up on that news, I am with Bank OF America but got refused a loan because of no activity on my credit report, I wonder if they work with Natwest Bank, I was with that bank for a while back in the UK.....

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I banked with Natwest for about 13 years before leaving for the US and all they were willing to give me was a letter of good standing which isn't worth the paper its written on here in the US.

The kicker here in the US is that all credit reporting is linked directly to an individuals SSN. For most credit cards and loans no SSN will almost certainly mean no credit and a newly aquired SSN like all of us new immigrants will have is almost as bad as not having a SSN at all.

The good news is that if you are careful and don't get too hasty there are companies out there who will extend credit to folks like us, even if it's not a huge amount to begin with. It was only a couple of months after I received my SSN that I began getting credit card offers in the mail. I waited for the right offer and was successful. I now get maybe 2 or 3 credit card offers every day.

Be patient and apply wisely and you'll be in a better credit situation sooner than you expect.

Good luck

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

After over 2 years of living here I have a higher credit rating than my OH who already has a very healthy credit score. Be patient and it will happen. I have so many 0% credit card offers these days, I could decorate the whole of my house with them ;)

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

My question is what is the best way to pay off Credit Cards in the UK? Right now it would be difficult for my fiance to pay in full to them, but when he gets a job here in the US we can start paying more. Is it possible for us to find a loan that will pay off foreign debt? Will it be a problem since I in turn have credit cards to pay off as well in the US?

Pete (UK) & Sue (US)

June 19: Filed for K-1 Visa

Feb 8: Received K-1 Visa

April 27: Married!!

May 4: AOS & EAD sent off.

July 28: EAD Card Arrives in Mail!

Aug 23: AOS Interview! APPROVED!!

Aug 30: Welcome to America! letter arrived.

Sept 7: Greencard arrived in the mail!

May: Received Notice about Greencard Expiration end of August

July 15: Sent packet in mail!! (FINALLY!!)

July 16: Packet arrives @ CSC 10:52am Signed by V. Semegi

July 24: Received NOA (posted 7/21)

July 30: Received Bio Appt Letter in Mail

August 20 @ 2pm: Biometrics Appt. –

Sept 12: Approved!! Should be getting card within 60 days..

April 22: Mailing N400 Citizenship packet to Phoenix AZ! (about time!)

April 25 10:37am Phoenix USCIS Lockbox. Signed for by F DOMINGUEZ

April 28 NOA (received in mail May 2)

June 7 Biometrics Appt

July 26 8:10am Interview/Test APPROVED!

Jul 26 Oath Ceremony! Pete is now a US Citizen!

ficFm7.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.