DAAG

I-864 AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT LASTING FOR EVER

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

MY K-1 FIANCEE ARRIVED THE END OF APRIL, WE WERE ECSTATICALLY HAPPY BETWEEN BOUTS OF HOMESICKENSS, AND IN SPITE OF NEED FOR NO FANS AND BLANKETS AT 90 DEGREES F, AND WE GOT MARRIED THE END OF JUNE, HER I-94 EXPIRED YESTERDAY, AT THE END OF JULY. ALL PAPERWORK ETC HAS GONE THROUGH FLAWLESSLY THUS FAR, BUT AS EACH DAY PASSES HER HOME SICKNESS, CULTURAL DIFFERENCES, CLIMATE, AND WORRIES ABOUT HER FAMILY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD HAVE SEEM TO DRIVE HER EVER CLOSER TO THROWING IN THE TOWEL. SHE'S ACTUALLY PACKED AND LEFT 5 TIMES, SO FAR NEVER ACTUALLY LEAVING TOWN, ONLY TO RETURN AND WONDER WHY THE PAPERS FOR AOS WEREN'T DONE, IN HER ABSENCE. I LOVE HER WITH ALL MY HEART AND WAS WORKING LIKE A MADMAN ON THE PAPERS TIL SHE STARTED LEAVING. SINCE THAT TIME, THE THOUGHT OF AN AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT THAT LASTS VIRTUALLY FOREVER, EVEN IF SHE LEAVES, AND EVEN AFTER DIVORCE, IF THAT IS DONE BEFORE, OR CAN BE DONE AFTER SHES GONE; I FIND VERY SCARY. EACH TIME SHE LEAVES, THINGS GET BETTER AFTER HER RETURN. BUT EACH DAY OUR MARRIAGE HANGS IN THE BALANCE, WITH ME SEEMING TO HAVE NO CAPACITY FOR EFFECTING HER DECISION ABOUT WHETHER TO LEAVE TODAY, OR WHETHER TO STAY. RIGHT NOW EVERYTHING'S FINE AND I'M BACK AT OUR PAPERS, BUT THAT NAGGING FEAR,THAT HAD JUST GONE AWAY, WHEN SHE AND I MET FOLLOWING MY FIRST K-1 FIANCEE DISAPPEARING WITHOUT A TRACE IS NOW, AGAIN, ALWAYS AT THE BACK OF MY MIND, MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE. THE "WHAT IF'S": WHAT IF SHE LEAVES AND I DON'T KNOW TO WHERE, LIKE THE FIRST FIANCEE I BROUGHT OVER, WHO LEFT BEFORE MARRIAGE, WILL I BE STUCK SUPPORTING SOMEONE I'LL NEVER SEE AGAIN, FORCED TO DO SO BY THE GOVERNMENT, AND WILL THEY LAVISH HER WITH MEANS TESTED BENEFITS, AT MY EXPENSE, AND WILL EVERY CENT I CAN POSSIBLY MAKE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE BE FORFEIT, MAKING ME LIVE OUT THE REST OF MY LIFE IN POVERTY, AS WELL AS BEING ALONE, WHERE BEFORE I WAS SIMPLY ALONE? IF I SIGN THIS AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT, WHILE EVERYTHING'S GREAT, WILL THERE EVER BE ANY WAY TO GET OUT FROM UNDER THE AFFIDAVIT, IF MY WIFE, THE LOVE OF MY LIFE, DECIDES TO DEPART AND NOT COME BACK, AND I'M LEFT WITHOUT HER BUT FORCED BY THE GOVERNMENT TO KEEP PAYING FOR HER LIFESTYLE AT 125% OF THE POVERTY LEVEL WHILE I REVERT TO LIVING AT 75% OF THE POVERTY LEVEL, WHERE I USED TO LIVE BY MYSELF AT 400% OF THE POVERTY LEVEL, BEFORE BEING LAID OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS K-1 PROCESS. I NEEED TO KNOW ALOT MORE ABOUT THIS AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT, AND IF THERE ARE ANY FORGIVING FEATURES, OR LOOPHOLES IN IT THAT WILL ALLOW ME TO HAVE ANY SEMBLANCE OF A NORMAL LIFE WITH ENOUGH TO EAT, AND POSSIBLY A CHEAP CAR, TO REPLACE THE TRANSAM I USED TO DRIVE, IF THE WORST HAPPENS. GOD KNOWS I LOVE AND WANT TO KEEP MY NEW WIFE, BUT THIS AFFIDAVIT ALONE MAKES IT A WHOLE NEW BALL GAME WITH DIFFERENT RULES, IF SHE WOULD HAPPEN TO DECIDE TO LEAVE AND ACTUALLY CARRY OUT THE PLAN. ANY INFO ON HOW TO RENDER AN i-864 NULL AND VOID, IF YOU NO LONGER HAVE THE WIFE, YOU SIGN IT FOR, WOULD BE APPRECIATED, BEFORE COMMITTING TO SIGNING IT, WITH NO PARACHUTE IN SIGHT. THANKS, DAAG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You are on the hook until she works 40 quarters you or she dies or she becomes a USC if you don't like that then you are not up to getting married.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Nigeria is correct, there is no loophole or get out clause. If you sign the affidavit, it stays in effect until one of the conditions is met (if she abandons her greencard to go back home, for example, or the things mentioned above). However, the I-864 does not obligate you to pay her 125% of the poverty level (a few divorce lawyers have tried to interpret it as such, with mixed and mostly negative results) or pay for her lifestyle- that would be up to the divorce settlement, which will go by the laws of your state, but usually the spouse gets little to nothing if the marriage was short. The I-864 only applies if she gets government benefits, which a lot of them she would not be entitled to in the first 5 years she is here anyway.

PS: if you reply or start other topics, please use paragraphs and do not write all in caps, it is difficult to read and considered "shouting", ie rude.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Nigeria is correct, there is no loophole or get out clause. If you sign the affidavit, it stays in effect until one of the conditions is met (if she abandons her greencard to go back home, for example, or the things mentioned above). However, the I-864 does not obligate you to pay her 125% of the poverty level (a few divorce lawyers have tried to interpret it as such, with mixed and mostly negative results) or pay for her lifestyle- that would be up to the divorce settlement, which will go by the laws of your state, but usually the spouse gets little to nothing if the marriage was short. The I-864 only applies if she gets government benefits, which a lot of them she would not be entitled to in the first 5 years she is here anyway.

PS: if you reply or start other topics, please use paragraphs and do not write all in caps, it is difficult to read and considered "shouting", ie rude.

Thank you penguin_ie, for your advice. Sorry about the caps. I mean nothing by it. I was doing papers that they said use all caps on and nevewr thought to change it, also i developed the habit long before the internet days of writting in caps by hand because it was easier for people to read it than my normal writting. Also as i get older i forget sometimes what to capitalize and what not to, sometimes capitalizing a word here and there for emphasis. Also my keyboards loves to switch to capitals whenever it wants to, and i have to keep turning them back off and backing up to retype everything, and it wears me down.

Sometimes when im feeling sad or worried, I Just write to ask for help, not realizing my literary skills, or lack of same will become more important than my question. cant you just doc me a few points for incorrect capitalization and my always run on sentences, and consider the meat of my questions? IM in love, distraught, and worried, and working day an night on papers, while all the time I'm doing them hoping im not messing up my life.

Thank you very much for your helpful information. i will try to do better at grammar spelling aND typping in the future.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.