jeanb84

Do I need to bring dollars if so how much

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys, finally will be leaving Philippines tomorrow for Houston TX. I have some few lay-overs and I just want to know if do I need to have a dollar bills with me and if so how much. I will be flying with Delta Airlines tomorrow at 6:30.

Please share your experience =) Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

No need to bring dollars but it might be useful to buy a snack or book.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

If you have bank savings in the PI and wants to continue saving in a US bank, then you might consider to change your peso in usd so u can deposit them in ur US bank when u get there.

Like me, plan to change my php into usd so I can deposit them on my joint USAA checking acct in the US.

Sam's CRBA, US Passport, and SSN Journey

Nov. 2010: CRBA and US passport application sent(via Air21)

Dec. 08, 2010: Interview(DNA was recommended)

April 04, 2011: CRBA and US passport on hand

April 2011: SSN Application sent (mailed original docs thru 2GO)

April 29, 2011: SSN card on hand

My K1 Visa Journey

March 05, 2011: I-129F packet sent

March 14, 2011: NOA1

May 20, 2011: NOA2(approved in 67 days from NOA1, with no RFEs)

June 24, 2011: NVC received approved petition from USCIS

June 29, 2011: Approved original petition left NVC to US Embassy-Manila

July 15, 2011: Eligibility letter received from US Embassy-Manila(dated July 11, 2011)

October 26 - June 5, 2012: SLEC trap!!! (DOT tx to vaccine administration)

June 7, 2012: Interview (APPROVED!) :)

June 18, 2012: Visa picked up at the embassy

June 20, 2012: POE in Detroit

proud of my family

:)

Hi guys, finally will be leaving Philippines tomorrow for Houston TX. I have some few lay-overs and I just want to know if do I need to have a dollar bills with me and if so how much. I will be flying with Delta Airlines tomorrow at 6:30.

Of course it all depends on what you want to do during your layovers...but, no matter, I would definitely bring dollars unless you have a major credit card. If flying via Japan, they will not take pesos and you cannot exchange pesos there but they will take US$ at the airports. Also, if going via HK or Seoul, I believe they also will not exchange pesos but will take or exchange US$. This has been my experience during my travels when I've had pesos left over from a visit to the Phils.

Once you enter the US at your POE, you will need US$ for just about anything you buy. If you have connecting flights in the US and want to purchase food on delta, they also only take US$ or CC.

Again, depends on what you want to do, but I know your gonna see some little something in the airport gift shops that you're gonna want to buy. I would bring at least 100 US$ for a flight like this...I mean you could have an emergency...you never know. IMHO

Timeline

Of course it all depends on what you want to do during your layovers...but, no matter, I would definitely bring dollars unless you have a major credit card. If flying via Japan, they will not take pesos and you cannot exchange pesos there but they will take US$ at the airports. Also, if going via HK or Seoul, I believe they also will not exchange pesos but will take or exchange US$. This has been my experience during my travels when I've had pesos left over from a visit to the Phils.

Once you enter the US at your POE, you will need US$ for just about anything you buy. If you have connecting flights in the US and want to purchase food on delta, they also only take US$ or CC.

Again, depends on what you want to do, but I know your gonna see some little something in the airport gift shops that you're gonna want to buy. I would bring at least 100 US$ for a flight like this...I mean you could have an emergency...you never know. IMHO

Thanks for your replies guys. I was just wondering if I will be paying any fee like terminal fee on my lay overs :)

Thanks for your replies guys. I was just wondering if I will be paying any fee like terminal fee on my lay overs :)

Not sure where your layovers are, but Delta includes all fees and taxes in their tickets. I know you have to pay the terminal fees when you leave the Phils. Don't know what international airports you're flying through, so could be terminal fees there. I know there are no fees in Japan and definitly no fees or taxes after you enter the US.

Timeline

Not sure where your layovers are, but Delta includes all fees and taxes in their tickets. I know you have to pay the terminal fees when you leave the Phils. Don't know what international airports you're flying through, so could be terminal fees there. I know there are no fees in Japan and definitly no fees or taxes after you enter the US.

Thank you very much for the info! I am flying with Delta does this mean I dont have to pay travel tax that costs 1,700 pesos? I have e-ticket and my fiance' bought it for me.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you very much for the info! I am flying with Delta does this mean I dont have to pay travel tax that costs 1,700 pesos? I have e-ticket and my fiance' bought it for me.

You still have to pay the airport tax of 750 pesos in Manila if that is what you are asking.

If your fiance purchased the tickets stateside then you will need to pay the Philippine travel tax as it will not be included in the price of the ticket. If he purchased the ticket for you in the Philippines then it would have been included in the price of the ticket. If you are unsure, when you are trying to check in for your flight at the Delta counter they WILL inform that it is needed to be paid, then you will go pay it and return back to Delta counter to check in for flight.

I purchased Continental ticket for my wife when she flew stateside last yr. She had to pay the Philippine travel tax as it was not included in the price of the ticket. Her flight route was Guam,Hawaii then to Houston. It would be best if you did travel with U.S Dollars as you never know what delays could occur or if you will needing to eat while waiting for your next flight in the airports if you have layovers. I made sure that my wife had enough dollars with her in case it was needed during her travels.

Good luck on your journey stateside.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If your fiance purchased the tickets stateside then you will need to pay the Philippine travel tax as it will not be included in the price of the ticket. If he purchased the ticket for you in the Philippines then it would have been included in the price of the ticket. If you are unsure, when you are trying to check in for your flight at the Delta counter they WILL inform that it is needed to be paid, then you will go pay it and return back to Delta counter to check in for flight.

I purchased Continental ticket for my wife when she flew stateside last yr. She had to pay the Philippine travel tax as it was not included in the price of the ticket. Her flight route was Guam,Hawaii then to Houston. It would be best if you did travel with U.S Dollars as you never know what delays could occur or if you will needing to eat while waiting for your next flight in the airports if you have layovers. I made sure that my wife had enough dollars with her in case it was needed during her travels.

Good luck on your journey stateside.

you need 100.00 usd

Timeline

My wife and daughter each had to pay 1650 PHP ticket tax because I bought the tickets outside the Philippines (e-ticket). Then they had to pay the normal Philippines departure tax 750 php each.

You should carry enough dollars for any incidental expenses you might encounter.

Good luck

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; They don't care how much money you have in your wallet.

Best thing to do is to change your Valuta with US Dollars.. I always have 100 bucks in cash in my wallet and a CC just in case I'm hungry or thursty or want to read juicy gossip :blush:

Have a safe flight! :thumbs:

Edited by Channah&Aaron

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Timeline

I left Iloilo and it cost 200 pesos to get out of that airport and 750 pesos to get thru Manila I don't know if Manila is your exit but something to keep in mind.

Bob

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

It would be good to have some money on you, immigration or customs dont care how much you bring.....ummm actually customs does if you are bringing over 10,000 USD.

You might want to keep some money if you wanna purchase something during your layovers, I just was always using cards thats much easier... :)

Timeline

Of course you want to bring some extra money with you, unless you have a credit card. This will be a long journey, you may want to buy snacks or drinks along the way. Also make sure sure the the flight your taking excepts cash for snacks in flight..

Flights also get delayed - you may need money for a hotel/taxi, ect..

Always better to be prepared...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.