Ellesse

SSN card

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

So, whilst waiting for the much-anticipated packet 4 to drop through my letterbox, I thought I'd start looking at the next part of this process.

I know that some people here have posted about the process for applying for a social security number and that this should be done prior to getting married. However, I already have an SSN number from when I worked in the States years ago. That being the case, I wondered if anyone knew what to do in this instance/if anyone else has been in the same situation? Do I update the information they already have for me once I get over to the States? And, if so, where do I start? And when should I do this? I'm guessing I'll still need to wait a couple of weeks after POE to ensure that my K1 information has been entered into their system? As I've already got a card, is there any need to do any of this prior to getting married? Trying to understand how this fits into the rest of the process.

Thanks

L

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

SSN card and number is good for life

I assume since you had a card before it says something alone the lines of "not valid without DHS authorization" on it? To get that removed you'll need your green card

Before then, nothing you need to do, your non-immigrant status will carry from when the card was issued until when you enter the US on your k1. Update their system when you get your green card.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

SSN card and number is good for life

I assume since you had a card before it says something alone the lines of "not valid without DHS authorization" on it? To get that removed you'll need your green card

Before then, nothing you need to do, your non-immigrant status will carry from when the card was issued until when you enter the US on your k1. Update their system when you get your green card.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply! The card says 'Valid for work only with INS Authorization' (which is the same as what you state, as I understand that INS has been replaced by DHS). It is terrific if I don't need to do anything prior to that - I wasn't sure if I needed to update their systems with my new information once I'm over there but, yeah, it makes sense if I only do that after my green card as I can't use it before then anyway. Wasn't sure if I would need to do anything if I get an EAD prior to the green card.

L

Edited by Ellesse

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The EAD will be your INS/DHS authorization.

You can update them if you like but I am sure it won't be necessary

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

You can apply for a new SS card once you have a Green Card, but since you will never, ever, not in a million years need to show your card to anybody ever again if you don't want to, you really don't have to do anything until you become a US citizen.

I kept my 1991-issued "Not Valid for Work" SS card until I became a US citizen. Then and only then I changed it primarily because I had changed my US name and thus needed new US documents, such as a driver's license.

The Green Card is a LIST A document (google "I-9 form") and as such proves your identity and your authorization all in one card. No need to show your SS card, unless you do not want to show your Green Card when applying for a job.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

You can apply for a new SS card once you have a Green Card, but since you will never, ever, not in a million years need to show your card to anybody ever again if you don't want to, you really don't have to do anything until you become a US citizen.

I kept my 1991-issued "Not Valid for Work" SS card until I became a US citizen. Then and only then I changed it primarily because I had changed my US name and thus needed new US documents, such as a driver's license.

The Green Card is a LIST A document (google "I-9 form") and as such proves your identity and your authorization all in one card. No need to show your SS card, unless you do not want to show your Green Card when applying for a job.

Thanks for that. I figure that if I change my name then both my passport and SSN card will need to reflect that?

L

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.