one...two...tree

Down but not out: Voices of the long-term unemployed

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I've known a few out of work people who have done the same, but they didn't get the job because they were overqualified. My guess is your son is not.

He has a bachelors is applied physics. But he is a college student and will return to school in a few weeks for his fully paid scholarship for a masters. The point is that one can easily find a JOB paying more than unemployment, but we seem to have the chicken little's running around saying "OH NO!" what happens when uneemployment ends. The answer...you mae more money.

What's the problem?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Corporations are trying to cut corners, period. Tax shelters are just a smokescreen for a lack of competitive ideas from management. It must be the tax burden, since that is the only reason we aren't competitive goes the refrain. If businesses want to leave the US, go ahead. They won't be able to bid on government contracts and no tax breaks for the them. Let's see how long they hold out. No corporate welfare, regular welfare cheats bug me and corporate welfare bums make me see red.

which corporation has left the US and then returned?

I agree with you that we need to eliminate tax shelters...by eliminating taxes. Let them be competitive, MAKE them be competititve. Take away the taxes and you take awy their excuses, right?

Foreign corporations bid on government contracts all the time. The AV-8 Harrier aircraft is made by BAE and the M9 handgun is made by Baretta (Italian) just to name a couple of the big ones. FN (Belgium) had the contract for several years to make the M-16 rifle for the military. The contract for the replacement for the KC135 air tanker WAS won by Anatov in Ukraine but that one was put on hold when the government was sued.

But can you name a manufacturer that moved business out of the US and subsequently moved back?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Game, set and match!

Sure, silly personal insults win arguments. :lol: I agree. I win. When the opponent has nothing to add but snarky insults of one's family then I win. :dance:

when you were earning your degrees in rocket science, what kind of summer job did you have?

Gary And Alla

Sure, silly personal insults win arguments. :lol: I agree. I win. When the opponent has nothing to add but snarky insults of one's family then I win. :dance:

when you were earning your degrees in rocket science, what kind of summer job did you have?

We talking about a summer job for a college kid, or a job for an adult to offset unemployment ?

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

But can you name a manufacturer that moved business out of the US and subsequently moved back?

Caterpillar is shifting some of its excavator production from abroad to Texas.

Sauder, an American furniture-maker, is moving production back home from low-wage countries.

NCR has returned production of cash machines to Georgia.

Wham-O last year restored half of its Frisbee and Hula Hoop production to America from China and Mexico.

link

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Timeline

which corporation has left the US and then returned?

I agree with you that we need to eliminate tax shelters...by eliminating taxes. Let them be competitive, MAKE them be competititve. Take away the taxes and you take awy their excuses, right?

Foreign corporations bid on government contracts all the time. The AV-8 Harrier aircraft is made by BAE and the M9 handgun is made by Baretta (Italian) just to name a couple of the big ones. FN (Belgium) had the contract for several years to make the M-16 rifle for the military. The contract for the replacement for the KC135 air tanker WAS won by Anatov in Ukraine but that one was put on hold when the government was sued.

The government even farms out transcription services, with the speed of the internet, to countries like the Philippines. My wife was transcribing the minutes of CDC and DHS meetings in the US at her work station in Makati. When I was in the Army, most of my clothing was made in Korea, Taiwan, and India. Most of the rolling stock in America relies on bearings made in China and engines assembled in Canada and Mexico.

Edited by Some Old Guy

Boeing takes government funded program money and uses it to build plants in such places as Russia. Corporate thieving happens all over with US tax dollars.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

He has a bachelors is applied physics. But he is a college student and will return to school in a few weeks for his fully paid scholarship for a masters. The point is that one can easily find a JOB paying more than unemployment, but we seem to have the chicken little's running around saying "OH NO!" what happens when uneemployment ends. The answer...you mae more money.

What's the problem?

Right, so he fits the job while others may not hence not everyone can easily find a job paying more than unemployment.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't NEED one since I was on a full-ride scholarship but I worked on a loading dock at 3AM every day of the year. It's good for the study of Immunology and your soul.

We talking about a summer job for a college kid, or a job for an adult to offset unemployment ?

Not now, he's on a roll.tongue.gif

Boeing takes government funded program money and uses it to build plants in such places as Russia. Corporate thieving happens all over with US tax dollars.

My point exactly.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

What's the problem?

What happens when he graduates and can't find a job commensurate with his education? Can he bag groceries until he's 50? Why bother studying if you can't make any more money than a high school kid? How will he survive if he has to make house payments, car payments, etc.? What if he gets hired and then becomes redundant, how will he make ends meet?

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Being totally self sufficient is pure fiction. If you think you are, you are forgetting all the people you relied on to get you where you are today. You might have reached maximum independence, but it will gradually erode over time and you'll eventually be more dependent on others just as you were when you entered this world. It's natural.

Filed: Timeline

Being totally self sufficient is pure fiction. If you think you are, you are forgetting all the people you relied on to get you where you are today. You might have reached maximum independence, but it will gradually erode over time and you'll eventually be more dependent on others just as you were when you entered this world. It's natural.

When the economy crumbles on August 3 of this year, all that will matter is whose weapons and supply cache you can raid first with a couple of long legged blondes and a baseball bat.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

When the economy crumbles on August 3 of this year, all that will matter is whose weapons and supply cache you can raid first with a couple of long legged blondes and a baseball bat.

Which means fat old guys who are dependent on Medicare/Medicaid to function, won't have a fighting chance. The young will have to cut their losses and switch to immediate survival mode.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Which means fat old guys who are dependent on Medicare/Medicaid to function, won't have a fighting chance. The young will have to cut their losses and switch to immediate survival mode.

:devil: - bring it on! Modern Society is so boring.

Edited by Sousuke