LuvIllinois

Devastated right now, we are in Administrative Processing

30 posts in this topic

I called DOS this morning to find out if my Visa had been issued yet and that's when I was informed I was in AP. From what I read, not many Canadians go into AP after interview, not sure what has happened here. Hubby, USC, was born in Illinois, I was born in Ontario. We don't have weird names, criminal backgrounds....I just don't know what to think??? I can't even find that much info because I have not found one post from a Canadian here yet that has gone into AP after approval, that wasn't born elsewhere.

Now I just have to sit and wait and find out why. I'm betting it's the domicile issue, but we had sufficient evidence. Yes, he lives in Canada with me as a permanent resident, but he never gave up his job in the US (he commutes everyday) and from what I understood and why we filed DCF is because residence and domicile are 2 different things. We just sold our house, thankfully with conditions on getting my Visa in hand, but this really sucks. Even if it's one piece of paper they need, it's going to take 4-6 weeks additionally, if not LONGER. It would have been a thousand times easier if they said they had additional stuff to check at the interview then finding out now after getting all excited.

Edited by LuvIllinois

Started LDR with hubby July '04, married Nov '06

He moved and became permanent resident of Canada Nov '07

Now, we want to move back to his hometown in Illinois!

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

I-130 sent to Toronto Embassy: September 12, 2010

Initial approval at Toronto Embassy: November 19, 2010

Packet 3 rec'd January 28, 2011

Packet 4 rec'd March 21, 2011

Medical May 16, 2011

Interview July 12, 2011 - Approved!

Visa/Passport picked up DHL July 22, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh no, that's terrible

You might want to IM IR5FORMUMSIE, his father was put in AP after interviewing at the same time as his mother, who was approved without issue. IR5 might be able to help you know what to expect

What did they say was the reason for AP?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

DOS couldn't give me a reason, they said I have to wait to hear from the Embassy. Ugh, who knows how long that will be.... :bonk:

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

Medical May 16, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Littlepoem was in AP after her interview with much of the same circumstances as you, (awhile back) might want to see if you can find some of her posts. Sometimes there is just a name hit - unavoidable and what a major letdown after an otherwise successful interview. I hope it is cleared up quickly!

I couldn't find her post, but I found another but I guess they were told about the name hit AT the interview. Our names are really not common, at all. Not even my past last names (maiden, prev marriage) I seriously want to puke right now. I just wasn't expecting this.

Edited by LuvIllinois

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

Medical May 16, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hi guys-

when was your interview?

is AP short for approval pending status?

If so, from what I've read, a lot of people get thrown into that after the interview....my fiance had her interview this past Monday so we are waiting word just like you guys....we were told on our first call to DOS that she was approved and then on the next call that it was pending.....so I don't think people at the DOS know what they're talking...and then if you need to contact Embassy, they only accept email....

it's a pain, so we sympathize with you!

I couldn't find her post, but I found another but I guess they were told about the name hit AT the interview. Our names are really not common, at all. Not even my past last names (maiden, prev marriage) I seriously want to puke right now. I just wasn't expecting this.

hi, i just wanted to ask if you were only told this by DOS or if you were told you were in AP at the interview?

my husband and i were told the same thing by DOS after our interview (we were not told by our interviewer we were in AP - ever). simple story for a stressful month long ordeal - we were never in the literal dreaded AP, but for whatever reason (we never found out) montreal took a month to print our visa.

you should try calling DOS again, ask: has montreal printed my visa yet...see what they say. DOS likes to use to the term AP loosely...

Filed: Timeline

For cases like yours, AP is just a term for "haven't closed the file yet". The person on the phone has no clue that we know more than they do. They just throw the term around, loosely, not really understanding the impact. Montreal is slow, as you know. Things will fall into place, however.

WRT the name hit.... common names don't really have anything to do with it. My name isn't common but I spent ages in the name check process during AOS. Hang in there, LuvIllinois. You're almost there.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

We had a very similar situation and got all varied messages from DOS. We were initially told that we were in AP and had to wait for 4 to 8 weeks. Later we were told that the visa was issued. However we never got any communication from DHL, worried we called DOS again and they stated that our case now is in AP and it will take weeks before we get an update.

When we were completely shattered we got the email from DHL. Hang in there and hope and wish you receive the good news soon :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

We had a very similar situation and got all varied messages from DOS. We were initially told that we were in AP and had to wait for 4 to 8 weeks. Later we were told that the visa was issued. However we never got any communication from DHL, worried we called DOS again and they stated that our case now is in AP and it will take weeks before we get an update.

When we were completely shattered we got the email from DHL. Hang in there and hope and wish you receive the good news soon :thumbs:

One more thing have the USC send an email to Montreal - not sure if it helped us but we got the DHL and a response from Montreal ( perhaps coincidence :innocent: )

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I was waiting for my visa to be issued early June, I would call DOS every other day. Depending who I was on the line with, they would sometime tell me I was in AP, and sometimes that the case was pending.

Don't worry there is most likely nothing wrong with your case :)

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

That sounds a little more promising. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you guys are right!

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

Medical May 16, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Question for you? Did you show them evidence of where you will be living in the United States. I.e. an appratment rental lease or a purchase agreement for a house in the united states or if you guys were going to be living with a relative did they provide an affidavit also is his income level above the 125% poverty level?

Sunny

Question for you? Did you show them evidence of where you will be living in the United States. I.e. an apartment rental lease or a purchase agreement for a house in the united states or if you guys were going to be living with a relative did they provide an affidavit also is his income level above the 125% poverty level?

Sunny

Yes to both. His income is above the poverty limit ($30+) and we had a signed and dated letter from both his Mom & Dad stating we were welcome to stay as long as we like.

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

Medical May 16, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I've got my fingers crossed for you. I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding on DOS's part and that's not the case.

Yes to both. His income is above the poverty limit ($30+) and we had a signed and dated letter from both his Mom & Dad stating we were welcome to stay as long as we like.

March 1999 - Met online

July 5th, 2001 - Met in person

December 19, 2003 - Got engaged

September 26, 2004 - Got married in Canada and husband (USC) becomes a PR

July 5, 2007 - Our daughter Samantha is born

April 5th, 2011 - I-130 Submitted to Toronto Consulate

April 29th, 2011 - Interview at Toronto Consulate

June 8th, 2011 - Packet 3 received via email

June 9th, 2011 - Packet 3 returned via Expresspost overnight

June 13th, 2011 - Packet 3 received by Consulate

June 16th, 2011 - Packet 3 Logged

June 16th, 2011 - Packet 4 Dated

June 22nd, 2011 - Packet 4 Logged

September 12, 2011 - Medical in Toronto

September 29, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!

? - Visa Received

? - POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.