6 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

so im an iranian citizen,and there are not many countries that iranians are allowed to travel to without aa visa,however i was wondering how getting a greencard would effect that.

will getting a visa be just as hard as it was without a greencard?

another question that i might be posting in the wrong category,im entering the states with a k-1 visa,i do not plan to inform my country's embassy or office about my marriage,because my fiance is an active military member and i just dont want to risk it.what if my passport expires before i get my citizenship? are there are any special service for that?

TIA

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

I have been looking in to this a lot with my wife who is Chinese. The green card doesn't really get you any special considerations as far as a visa for travelling is concerned, but the main concern they have is intent to immigrate. For what it is worth, your likelihood of jumping ship so to speak when being an LPR in the US is probably considered a lot lower than as a resident of Iran.

Not sure on the passport issue. It is generally up to the discretion of the consulate whethere they would renew a passport or not. I don't know that there is any international law requiring it, but as we all know, countries routinely break international law anyway. If you have more than 5 years left on your passport at the time you enter the US, you should be good to go with that until you are naturalized as a USC so I wouldn't worry too much unless it is less than that. Worst case is the Iranian consulate doesn't renew it and you have to wait a few years to get a US passport though.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Timeline

well see thats the problem,my passport has like 3 years left in it, and i need to travel to see my family.iranian government doesnt follow the international rules and laws AT ALL,so im not counting on them one bit.

do you know if passport is required to request a tourist visa for a family member?

As an LPR, you can travel to Canada or Mexico without the need for a visa. Otherwise, you will need to apply for visas based on your citizenship. Usually being a LPR of the US will increase your chances of being approved for tourist visas.

If you are not allowed to renew your passport it won't be a problem for going for citizenship. You can present an expired passport. When it expires you won't be able to travel though, except to Canada and Mexico and within the US.

Family members apply for tourist visas by themselves. They don't need an invitation or anything from you.

Let us know when you land in the US and we'll give you a big WELCOME!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

thank you harpa,i just checked out the interest section of the islamic republic of iran in the pakistan embassy in washington DC, they do passport renewals without having to go there in person,which is great.however there is a section about the marital status,which i dont know how to answer, single because they are not aware of my marriage or married because they might have access to the data bases?

and yay on family members not needing an invitation.

im coming to the states on july 23rd!

Edited by thelastpetitioner

thank you harpa,i just checked out the interest section of the islamic republic of iran in the pakistan embassy in washington DC, they do passport renewals without having to go there in person,which is great.however there is a section about the marital status,which i dont know how to answer, single because they are not aware of my marriage or married because they might have access to the data bases?

and yay on family members not needing an invitation.

im coming to the states on july 23rd!

That question is better answered by other Iranian ex-pats. I am not sure the consequences of marrying a foreigner. I would say that if you can't be truthful, then maybe you shouldn't renew. There are people here that would know and also other internet Iranian ex-pat communities exist I am sure.

It's coming up soon! Scary and exhilarating all at once I am sure!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.