ladybug2010

Vaccination Question for Civil Surgeon Exam..

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We found a civil surgeon, but she will not accept the titer testing that our family physician did in order to complete the vaccine information. She charges 99 for the exam with no vaccines, or 350 for the exam with vaccines. Our insurance would cover vaccines, but not at the civil surgeons office. Can we get our family physician to administer the vaccines so we have the vaccine record? If so, what are the vaccines he would need (he is 40 year old male) - I have researched the charts put out by the CDC but am having a hard time deciphering. Finally, if our family physician gives him one dose of each vaccine needed, then is that sufficient for the civil surgeon exam or would the civil surgeon then be obligated to give him any "follow up" or booster doses? (for example, I know that if a vaccine requires a series of 4 shots, USCIS will accept only one shot if the civil surgeon gives it during the exam - but is it the same if you have it done by your family physician?)

Thank you so much!

We are AOS in the US. Thank you!

I did my vaccines at the PA health dept for $5 then brought the record given by the PA health dep't to the CS.

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

The CS medical is usually 2 appointments. I would go to the first appointment, see what vaccines you are missing, and ask if you can get the vaccines elsewhere before your second appointment. That saves you trying to figure out what vaccines are needed, which is extra confusing because the requirements change often. Getting vaccines elsewhere should be fine (we did it too), but the CS may have a personal policy against outside vaccines if s/he believes the records to be unreliable, so best to ask first. If you need a series of shots, only the first one is required for AOS. There is a box to check for "insufficient interval between doses" to absolve you of the requirement for the rest of the series.

Because you are discussing medical with vaccines, and medical without vaccines, I am assuming you are not adjusting from a K-1 visa, is this correct?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

We found a civil surgeon, but she will not accept the titer testing that our family physician did in order to complete the vaccine information. She charges 99 for the exam with no vaccines, or 350 for the exam with vaccines. Our insurance would cover vaccines, but not at the civil surgeons office. Can we get our family physician to administer the vaccines so we have the vaccine record? If so, what are the vaccines he would need (he is 40 year old male) - I have researched the charts put out by the CDC but am having a hard time deciphering. Finally, if our family physician gives him one dose of each vaccine needed, then is that sufficient for the civil surgeon exam or would the civil surgeon then be obligated to give him any "follow up" or booster doses? (for example, I know that if a vaccine requires a series of 4 shots, USCIS will accept only one shot if the civil surgeon gives it during the exam - but is it the same if you have it done by your family physician?)

Thank you so much!

We are AOS in the US. Thank you!

Are you adjusting from a visa? Doing a timeline would help.

From USCIS: 27 through 49 years- Td or Tdap (if DT, DTP or DTaP shown: okay to accept); MMR; Varicella

As long as the series is current on the date the medical form is signed by the civil surgeon, you're okay for immigration. If you got a MMR at the family doctor, and 4 weeks had passed (when the next could be given) the civil surgeon might say you were due another. If you saw the CS the day after getting a shot, then no additional needed because enough time hadn't elapsed. You do not have to follow up and finish a series unless you want to as a personal health choice.

I'd look for another civil surgeon if this one won't accept something done by your family doctor(blood titre). She may not accept shots she didn't give either.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.