I_Am_That_I_Am

Orig BC and Divorce Decree

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

To ALL of YOU (again) who bothered to reply, MANY THANKS!

I think this is what we're going to do (to be safe). Send her all the ORIGINALS but submit only the xerox copies so we can keep the originals for the future, just in case we need them again. And my fiancee is based in Quezon City. I'll check the johnnyair website and see if they can help me. Thanks so much for that info.

But I believe Jim is right. I answered my own question and still confused about it. But because we don't want any problem during her interview, I would take the risk and send the originals to be on the safe side.

Again, sorry if i have caused confusion to others in the forum. My apologies. Didn't mean to confuse anyone. I just needed answers. And Thanks a lot again!

Losing control of an certified copy of your birth certificate and sending it overseas is identity theft waiting to happen... I would not do it. Period.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hmmmm... blush.gif regarding the letter of intent, i believe the answer is YES. Good Luck to us!

Luke 1:37 - "For with GOD nothing shall be impossible."

AOS Journey

• 02.25.2012 - AOS, EAD, AP sent
  • 02.29.2012 - received text/email receipt notices
  • 03.22.2012 - transferred to CSC
  • 04.19.2012 - biometrics appointment
  • 05.02.2012 - EAD & AP approved
  • 10.19.2012 - AOS approved

K1 Journey

• 05.2000 - met in class - Orlando, FL
  • 05.2011 - K1 filed
  • 11.2011 - K1 visa received
  • 01.2012 - POE/Wedding

Timeline

hello! Im sorry i may not be able to answer your question as I am not knowledgeable about the issue. In my case, mine had a seal and sent a copy of it along w/ my birth certificate, US passport (ALL pages) and naturalization certificate (just be to be safe). Im sure there are others in the forum who can answer your question clearly. But let'spray that with or without seal is ok as long as it's legible. Good Luck!

Now you all have me confused as well. I have been divorcrd 2 tiimes. The first one I never had a copy of. I went to the court house and got one. They put a seal on it but the seal doesnt show up on the copy I sent with me 129f. The second divorce i had a copy of and I sent a copy of it in with the 129f. There is no seal on it. Am I going to get a rfe because of this. Should I have a decree with a seal on it from the second divorce as well?

AOS Journey

K1 Journey

• 05.2011 - K1 filed
  • 01.2012 - POE/Wedding

Timeline

Hello!

Earlier you were talking to my fiance, Van, and I am the fiancee, Chie. We're using one VJ account so please don't get confused. My sweetheart is drooling now is it's my turn to use this account. yes.gif

I read all your replies and thanks so much. Anyway, another question (sorry for this):

Van submitted a copy of his Birth Certificate, Naturalization Certificate, ALL pages of his US passport and Divorce Decree with seal when he did the K1. With all these docs included in the packet, is it safe to say that the embassy people will no longer ask for the Originals of the mentioned docs when they interview me? He is adamant in saying that all the copies he submitted were CLEAR copies so the embassy people will have no reason not to be able to read/understand them.

Thanks a lot again to all those who replied and thanks again in advance to those who will reply.

Losing control of an certified copy of your birth certificate and sending it overseas is identity theft waiting to happen... I would not do it. Period.

AOS Journey

K1 Journey

• 05.2011 - K1 filed
  • 01.2012 - POE/Wedding

Hello!

Earlier you were talking to my fiance, Van, and I am the fiancee, Chie. We're using one VJ account so please don't get confused. My sweetheart is drooling now is it's my turn to use this account. yes.gif

I read all your replies and thanks so much. Anyway, another question (sorry for this):

Van submitted a copy of his Birth Certificate, Naturalization Certificate, ALL pages of his US passport and Divorce Decree with seal when he did the K1. With all these docs included in the packet, is it safe to say that the embassy people will no longer ask for the Originals of the mentioned docs when they interview me? He is adamant in saying that all the copies he submitted were CLEAR copies so the embassy people will have no reason not to be able to read/understand them.

Thanks a lot again to all those who replied and thanks again in advance to those who will reply.

You know what Yes you answered your own question...

They did not ask for the original divorce decree...I remember the 2nd window asked me if i had a divorce papers with me, i said yes..I got lots of of paperworks with me i cant easily get it and then she said its ok i got it. On her hand, she got all the papers that my fiancee sent to the USCIS she added my documents and the I-134. She will asked it specifically. I never had and we never passed his original birthcertificate and original divorce decree even when we sent our application to USCIS.

I was so paranoid that time i always asked people i've met after there interview if it is hard. It made me worried because i was the last one left with the fiancee applicants and the people that i've meet from St. Lukes and at the embassy there all done and very happy because they passed. They were all said dont worry its not that hard...He will just asked questions with your relationship but im still worried. Lots of what if questions in my mind.

They will sure ask original if there is alteration with your documents.

I know your so worried now i really understand it. Tell me about the pressure and the stress but when you are at the interview it is as easy as pie. C.O asked me just 2 questions...What is my name and my birthdate...Then he checked all the documents i submitted and the papers that USCIS sent to Manila embassy...Sometimes he asked but he answers his own question. Then a few minutes after he said: Congratulations your visa has been approved!!! Then he instructed me to go to a window to sign a visa delivery. I was so relieved. I said to myself is that all? I cant still believe it. The C.O did not asked anything from me.

This is based on my experienced and others that i talked at the embassy if you choosed to have original birthcertificate and divorce papers its up to you.

Merejen

Hello!

You know what im with payxibka...Frankly, we had an arguments with my husband because i really want the original because thats what i read. He said NO it is very important and i dont trust the courier service or if it arrive safe what if you will lost it unforeseen occurences will happen.

Edited by mjs84

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

To ALL of YOU who found time to reply, thanks a lot! Really appreciate it.

But now that I'm getting conflicting answers, the more i get confused. headbonk.gif When we first started this journey, I thought they're not required. Although i understand that the CO may request for all the originals of all the civil documents we submitted in the K1 packet during the embassy interview but I know they don't usually require the originals. hmmm...

I'm only having second thoughts about sending the originals coz i already had a terrible experience with one of the big couriers we have here.

For those who want to chime in, please feel free. The more, the merrier (although sometimes it is even more confusing). smile.gif

Again, thanks a lot!

The closest thing to an original divorce decree or birth certificate for the petitioner would be the actual certified copies, not photocopies of certified copies. While it is a good idea to have them on hand for the interview in case the Consular Officer asks to view them, they are seldom asked for.

Actual original birth certificates are not available in the USA and unless there are multiple (certified originals) of a divorce decree, they aren't available either. An original would bear the original signature of the judge, for a divorce decree. Original birth certificates are held by the registering agency.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Basically with US Embassy in Manila all they would ask are original documents from the Beneficiary. Copies of birth certificate and divorce decree of Petitioner would be enough, it's not usual that they would ask for it upon interview 'cause all of those documents were already checked by USCIS, That's what the long 5months span of waiting was for. Have your fiancee send you a scanned copy,print it and read on it and make sure you'll remember when the divorce was granted. That would come up as a question for your interview. I know this entire process is stressful, all of the what if's would come out on the last minute. If you would check the USCIS & NVC official page you'll never read that they will ask for originals of the birth certificate and divorce decree of the Petitioner.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.