gemmarose

American born, living in Canada. What legal steps must I take to move back to the States?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My dad is Canadian, my mom is British. I was born in Florida, but at 4 years old we moved to Canada and I've been living here ever since. I'm now 21 and planning on moving back to the States next year. I was just wondering, what forms would I need to fill out to move back to USA?

I was born in USA therefore I'm automatically an American citizen. (I'm also a Canadian citizen now) I tried looking at the American Embassy website but nothing I found is accurate to my situation.

Please someone help me figure out what I need to do to get back in the States! :)

P.S. I have my birth certificate and an expired American passport from when I was a child.

You just need to renew your passport by filling out a passport application. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My dad is Canadian, my mom is British. I was born in Florida, but at 4 years old we moved to Canada and I've been living here ever since. I'm now 21 and planning on moving back to the States next year. I was just wondering, what forms would I need to fill out to move back to USA?

I was born in USA therefore I'm automatically an American citizen. (I'm also a Canadian citizen now) I tried looking at the American Embassy website but nothing I found is accurate to my situation.

Please someone help me figure out what I need to do to get back in the States! :)

P.S. I have my birth certificate and an expired American passport from when I was a child.

If you have your birth certificate, I think all you need to do is to follow the process to request a new passport. This web site has instructions to request a new passport.

Here is a another link specific for Canada. http://canada.usembassy.gov/passports.html#first

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Nothing better than having a born in the USA birth certificate for getting a passport. Hope you have a duplicate of yours, can get those from the county or state you were born in. DOS lost mine, but when I started all this immigration stuff when I met my wife, got five copies from Springfield Il. So one less didn't make any difference. I did a google search to find my place, lost mine a long time ago, guess the DOS and USCIS wants to see those, but for you, just the DOS.

Good luck.

LOL, still wish the USA and Canada was one country, if for no other reason, so my dog wouldn't have to get a whole bunch of shots when we go up there. What about all those Canadian geese that come down here, don't they need shots too? Or the wolves., bears, foxes, rabbits, and squirrels.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.