happylove

Confusion about Citizenship

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Iraq
Timeline

When can someone apply for citizenship if they are married to a US citizen? Is it three years from the date they received their temporary green card or three years from the date they received their permanent resident status? We have been married for over 3 years and she has been in this country for approximately 3 1/2 years. However, my wife received her permanent resident status last year after apply for her AOS. She received her temporary green card about two years ago. I was wondering if the time she had the temporary green card is added to the total. She is very eager to get her citizenship and I want to support her on this.

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You keep saying temporary green card, what is that? do you mean her conditional green card? If so, have you both filed to remove conditions and granting her a 10 year green card?

there is a 'resident since' date on her green card, either conditional or 10 year, 90 days before her 3 years as a resident she may file for citizenship

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Timeline

When can someone apply for citizenship if they are married to a US citizen? Is it three years from the date they received their temporary green card or three years from the date they received their permanent resident status? We have been married for over 3 years and she has been in this country for approximately 3 1/2 years. However, my wife received her permanent resident status last year after apply for her AOS. She received her temporary green card about two years ago. I was wondering if the time she had the temporary green card is added to the total. She is very eager to get her citizenship and I want to support her on this.

thanks

Your wife qualifies to apply for US citizenship if 1) she has been an LPR for 3 years, 2) living with her US citizen spouse for 3 years, and 3) been living continuously in the US for 3 years without being outside the US for trips of 6 months or longer.

You need to use the correct term;

Temporary green card (wrong) --> Conditional permanent legal residency (expires in 2 years if the condition is not lifted).

When you use the right term, it is easier to figure out if she qualifies to apply for US citizenship. You count the years she is a conditional LPR towards the time she needs to meet to apply.

Filed: Country: Iraq
Timeline

Your wife qualifies to apply for US citizenship if 1) she has been an LPR for 3 years, 2) living with her US citizen spouse for 3 years, and 3) been living continuously in the US for 3 years without being outside the US for trips of 6 months or longer.

You need to use the correct term;

Temporary green card (wrong) --> Conditional permanent legal residency (expires in 2 years if the condition is not lifted).

When you use the right term, it is easier to figure out if she qualifies to apply for US citizenship. You count the years she is a conditional LPR towards the time she needs to meet to apply.

If I am understanding correctly: If my wife became a conditional LPR in 2008, then she can apply for citizenship this year in 2011. We applied to have her conditions lifted last year in 2010 -- that is when she got her permanent residency status.

Filed: Timeline

If I am understanding correctly: If my wife became a conditional LPR in 2008, then she can apply for citizenship this year in 2011. We applied to have her conditions lifted last year in 2010 -- that is when she got her permanent residency status.

Yes, your wife can apply for US citizenship in 2011. She got her permanent residency in 2008. She got the condition on her permanent residency lifted in 2010. To clarify, you need to keep in mind that she got her permanent residency status in 2008 and not 2010. I think you are still stuck on the temporary green card term which is incorrect because USCIS will never use that term in anything official.

Filed: Other Timeline

Your wife's Green Card is the key. Any of her Green Cards, actually.

On the front of it is a line reading: RESIDENT SINCE: xx/xx/2008. That's the date she became a resident.

Not earlier than 3 years after that date she can become a US citizen.

Not earlier than 90 days before she can become a US citizen USCIS can receive her N-400 application.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.