rsns

Need advice

6 posts in this topic

Filed: H-2B Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hey all,

I was hoping to get some advice. Long story short, my fiancee in India did not leave her place of employment on good terms (the Human Resources department specifically-- she had a good relationship with everyone else, including her managers). She had to take a few weeks off due to a medical problem, and we (her family and I) all advised her to resign now rather than later and focus on restoring her health. She attempted to do that but her company told her that she needed to have given them 2 months notice, and since she didn't, she now has to pay 2 months salary to them if she wants a "letter of experience" which basically states that she worked there. Now, she is an intelligent, skilled professional (software engineer) and I don't think that any place here in the U.S. would care about this "letter of experience" when considering her for employment (she would just list that time and work experience on her resume and provide specific people as references for them to contact if desired), so I advised her not to worry about that letter. But now we are wondering if this would play any part in the visa process, i.e. will USCIS or the consulate in India contact her company (since she listed it on her forms as being her current place of employment)? One would think that if that happened, there still wouldn't be a problem-- however, people are very corrupt over there and we are worried that the company (Human Resources specifically) might even say that my fiancee never worked there, if she does not pay them this money.

So, we were wondering if anyone here has gone through a similar situation, or might know if USCIS or anyone would even contact her company. Of course, at her eventual interview at the consulate, she will now take her paystubs just in case this comes up and she has to prove that she worked there, but we are wondering if this could be an issue before that stage. It would help my fiancee decide whether or not she will pay this insane amount of money just to obtain this silly letter and try to please some corrupt Human Resources employees.

Thanks!

Edited by boomba212

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline

Hey all,

I was hoping to get some advice. Long story short, my fiancee in India did not leave her place of employment on good terms (the Human Resources department specifically-- she had a good relationship with everyone else, including her managers). She had to take a few weeks off due to a medical problem, and we (her family and I) all advised her to resign now rather than later and focus on restoring her health. She attempted to do that but her company told her that she needed to have given them 2 months notice, and since she didn't, she now has to pay 2 months salary to them if she wants a "letter of experience" which basically states that she worked there. Now, she is an intelligent, skilled professional (software engineer) and I don't think that any place here in the U.S. would care about this "letter of experience" when considering her for employment (she would just list that time and work experience on her resume and provide specific people as references for them to contact if desired), so I advised her not to worry about that letter. But now we are wondering if this would play any part in the visa process, i.e. will USCIS or the consulate in India contact her company (since she listed it on her forms as being her current place of employment)? One would think that if that happened, there still wouldn't be a problem-- however, people are very corrupt over there and we are worried that the company (Human Resources specifically) might even say that my fiancee never worked there, if she does not pay them this money.

So, we were wondering if anyone here has gone through a similar situation, or might know if USCIS or anyone would even care about this. It would help my fiancee decide whether or not she will pay this insane amount of money just to obtain this silly letter and try to please some corrupt Human Resources employees.

Thanks!

It's only the petitioner's employment history and earnings that they are looking for for the K1 application

Hey all,

I don't think that leaving her job would have some kind of impact on the process, or USCIS would care. I personally would not care about the letter and I would not pay them money for a piece of paper.

Good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I personally would not worry about it.

While it is ideal to have an unblemished work record with rock solid references, in this economy the threshold for irregularity is much higher than in the past.

If I were you/her, I'd just have her collect together all of her income records from this company as proof of having worked there. In the unlikely event it became an issue she'd have that much.

Otherwise, losing two-month's worth of salary to bring her back in their good graces isn't worth the loss. Perhaps so if she was staying in India, but hopefully she isn't.

Good luck.

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hey all,

So, we were wondering if anyone here has gone through a similar situation, or might know if USCIS or anyone would even contact her company. Of course, at her eventual interview at the consulate, she will now take her paystubs just in case this comes up and she has to prove that she worked there, but we are wondering if this could be an issue before that stage. It would help my fiancee decide whether or not she will pay this insane amount of money just to obtain this silly letter and try to please some corrupt Human Resources employees.

Thanks!

Your fiancee's employment has no bearing on K-1 visa.....K-1 visa is based on relationship...and your ability to support her!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.