ZedbraGuy

POE LAX

8 posts in this topic

It still hasn't quite sunk in that I now live in California, but I thought I'd do a quick post about my experience at LAX

I heard they are on the ball there, and it seems they are. She asked me my financees name and went over what the visa means, etc. The white form is pretty easy but what confused me was the customs form. As am I a US resident or not? Apparently I can say I am, and you have to declare the total value of your luggage as a resident rather than as a visitor.

And if at all possible, don't fly to America the friday of 4th July weekend.... is a bit busy!

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It still hasn't quite sunk in that I now live in California, but I thought I'd do a quick post about my experience at LAX

I heard they are on the ball there, and it seems they are. She asked me my financees name and went over what the visa means, etc. The white form is pretty easy but what confused me was the customs form. As am I a US resident or not? Apparently I can say I am, and you have to declare the total value of your luggage as a resident rather than as a visitor.

And if at all possible, don't fly to America the friday of 4th July weekend.... is a bit busy!

a k-1 entrant is not yet a resident

YMMV

Nope, you are def not a resident till you get your GC

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think the boarder official knows better than you

a k-1 is a non-immigrant entry. A k-1 is not a resident until issued a greencard... when you get your greencard, look at the RESIDENT SINCE date... it will not be the day you entered the USA as a K-1

YMMV

I think the boarder official knows better than you

Technically you're not a resident in the legal sense because you arrived on a non-immigrant visa and don't have a GC issued until you're married, but you can say you reside in the US.. because you do!

IR-1 Timeline (DCF London)

15th Feb 2011 - Filed I-130 in London.

6th Apr 2011 - Sent letter requesting expedition of visa.

11th Apr 2011 - Received email approving request.

12th May 2011 - I-130 approved.

2nd June 2011 - Received case number via email. Booked medical.

3rd June 2011 - Sent forms DS-230, DS-2001 & cover letter today.

8th June 2011 - Medical Exam (£273.00 for medical & MMR/Tetanus injection)

11th July 2011 - Visa interview at 8am.

14th July 2011 - Visa in hand.

23rd July 2011 - Uniting my family today in San Antonio <3

11th Aug 2011 - Received 10yr Green Card in the mail

22nd Aug 2011 - Received SSN

You're a visitor Z-guy. CBP Houston told us not to list anything on the customs form but two words "household goods". No values for 6 pieces of luggage between us.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Household goods is what I will list on my customs form.

Well, most of it is my geek-toys, but they're household goods and I don't intend to sell them on and deprive USGOV.inc of any tax revenue.

David.

K-1 Timeline:

14 Sep 2010 - Mailed in I-129F.

08 Feb 2011 - NOA 2.

09 Jun 2011 - Visa in hand.

13 Aug 2011 - Wedding day.

AOS Timeline:

14 Oct 2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD forms.

21 Oct 2011 - NOA for AOS/EAD.

05 Nov 2011 - Case transferred to CSC.

08 Nov 2011 - Biometrics.

29 Dec 2011 - EAD in hand.

05 Jan 2012 - I-485 Approved (AOS).

11 Jan 2012 - I-551/Permanent Resident Card in hand.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.