ckadam

Birth Certificate & Marriage certificate for DS-230

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

The immigrant petition I-130 for my wife is approved and forwarded to NVC for processing. While we are waiting for NVC case no, we started preparing documents for DS-230 application. From what I have read on various forums, we need to submit either Original or Certified copy of Birth & Marriage certificate. I have some questions about the same:

1. Is it common practice to submit Original Birth & Marriage certificate along with DS-230 form.

2. If yes, then do we get the original copies back at the time of interview (after NVC has completed the case) ?

3. Does anyone has experience in getting certified copies of Birth & Marriage certificate in Mumbai/India ?

Thanks in advance, CK

Originals are the best thing to submit. Certified copies are fine, too, but only if you don't have the originals. You have to ask for all your originals back after your interview.

yeMBfha.jpg

I'm still debating if I should submit my original too. That's the only copy i have and non replaceable. I'm thinking about making a clear copy of our marriage certificate and attach a certified copy.

DS-230 is for beneficiary, right?

05/08/2010: Married
03/18/2011: I-130 Sent
03/21/2011: NOA1 noticed date
05/27/2011: NOA2 noticed date
06/28/2011: NVC finally received our case!
06/30/2011: Case number received!
07/01/2011: Received DS-3032 from NVC
07/04/2011: Wifey e-mailed DS-3032 form to NVC
07/06/2011: Paid AOS bill
07/09/2011: DS-3032 received/processed by NVC
07/11/2011: IV bill received :
07/22/2011: IV bill paid
07/25/2011: AOS/I-864 packet mailed
07/27/2011: AOS/I-864 packet delivered to NVC
08/02/2011: DS-230 packet mailed to NVC
08/03/2011: DS-230 packet delivered to NVC
08/08/2011: Medical Exam Taken
08/09/2011: Medical Results: PASSED! Yehey!

08/10/2011: Case Completed / Sign In Failed

08/12/2011: Interview date assigned : September 19, 8:30am @ USEM... Yay!
09/19/2011: WIFE'S VISA APPROVED!!!
Thank YOU Lord!
09/23/2011: Wife picked up her VISA..
10/24/2011: POE: J.F.K.-NY

ROC

08/26/2013: i-751 mailed

08/28/2013: i-751 received per USPS tracking...

08/29/2013: NOA receipt date

10/04/2013: Biometrics appointment

Filed: Timeline

I'm still debating if I should submit my original too. That's the only copy i have and non replaceable. I'm thinking about making a clear copy of our marriage certificate and attach a certified copy.

DS-230 is for beneficiary, right?

Be aware that "certified copies" must come directly from the government agency in charge of maintaining the record. The certified copies comes with original government stamps on them.

Copies that are stamp by a notary public or anyone else who is not in charge of maintaining the record are not certified copies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Jojo is right on the money--do not make the mistake that many do by assuming that a notary can make a civil document certified--they can't. If it ain't directly from the government agency with all the gold seals, stamps, or raised seals, it ain't certified. And in some case it will also have to have an apostille attached. Be sure you check on that with your local consulate.

In our case, my wife was born in Mexico and has lived in Costa Rica for quite some time. The consulate required us to get an apostille attached to her birth certificate because it was from neither US nor CR. It was the only document that required an apostille in our case since all other docs are from either US or CR, so sometimes even "original or certified" isn't enough.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.