6 posts in this topic

I got my EAD card today, yes the picture looks awful.

I have a few questions though about what this card enables me to do.

With this card, do I still have to have a Social Security Number, when applying for jobs? Or does this card prove my legitimacy for employment.

I want to get the ball rolling and start getting things D-O-N-E.

2005: Met my wife online, "Habbo Hotel" instantly became friends.

2007: Lost contact with her, as we both lived thousands of miles away.

2010: Regained contact with her, again instantly became best friends.

~At this point we'd talked about visiting the others country~

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS TIMELINE

October 16th 2010: Landed at JFK INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL 2 under Visa Waiver Program.

October 17th 2010: Nicole (now my wife) took me to manhattan and treat me like no other.

November 13th 2010: Got Engaged!

December 17th 2010: We got married!

January 14th 2011: VISA EXPIRED (No AOS papers sent yet)

February 20th 2011: Filed for AOS (Sent in I-130 / I-864 / I-485)

March 7th 2011: Received NOA for I-130 / I-485

March 18th 2011: Biometrics taken

March 26th 2011: RFE MEDICAL

April 12th 2011: Medical Sent (ouch the needles)

April 18th 2011: Medical received my USCIS

April 30th 2011: I-765 (Employment Authorization Documentation) Sent

May 4th 2011: Rejection notice I-765 (I forgot to tick "applying for first card" at top of application)

May 9th 2011: New receipt for I-765 received

June 10th 2011: INTERVIEW DATE / JULY 13th 2011

June 15th 2011: EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED

June 20th 2011: EAD CARD IN HAND

June 22nd 2011: SSN APPLIED

June 24th 2011: SSN IN HAND

July 13th 2011: Adjustment of Status Interview (A P P R O V E D)

July 13th 2011: Email confirmation Card Production Ordered

July 18th 2011: Second email confirmation Card Production Ordered (-.-)

July 19th 2011: Post Decision Activity

July 23rd 2011: Green Card Arrived!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You have to have a social security card. Wont hire you without seeing the actual card, plus if you want to get paid you have to have one.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I got my EAD card today, yes the picture looks awful.

I have a few questions though about what this card enables me to do.

With this card, do I still have to have a Social Security Number, when applying for jobs? Or does this card prove my legitimacy for employment.

I want to get the ball rolling and start getting things D-O-N-E.

You will still need a Social Security number to work. With certain forms of ID - a US Passport, a Green Card, possibly an EAD (but not sure on that one), the physical card is not necessary, but the number always will be.

Edited by ryna

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You will still need a Social Security number to work. With certain forms of ID - a US Passport, a Green Card, possibly an EAD (but not sure on that one), the physical card is not necessary, but the number always will be.

The physical SSN card is needed at most places. They need to see the actual card and wont just take your word for it.

Myself and quite a few friends went through this, they would not accept the SSN number without seeing the actual card. K-1 applicant friends and US citizen friends.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

For employment verification the EAD card and GC fall under List A which establishes indentity and work authorization for the I-9 form the employer must fill out so the SSC is not required. However the next question will be "What is your SSN?" as the employer needs that in order to withhold taxes. So technically you do not need a SSN for proving work authorization, but you will need it for tax purposes, therefore, in the long run in order to work you will need a SSN. Not hard to get now that you have the EAD. Go to the local SSA office near you and complete an application. Take your foreign passport and the EAD (for two forms of ID and age) and in about two weeks you will receive your SSC in the mail.

For those employers that want to see a SSC, just refer them to List A. I had one ask me for my card and I was using my US passport which is in List A. I pointed out to the HR perosn that with a document in List A I do not need to show you my SSC, besides I never carry it as it tells me on my card (date on card is 1962 version).

:ot:

As you go thru different life events you will discover that most people do not know what is actually required and they are reading from a provided script that may or may not be relivent to your specific situation--I have been going thru this in dealing with all the finacial institutions in dealing with my Mother's recent death. I must say that I get tied of trying to educate them when they tell me something incorrect.

Go get your SSC now that you have your EAD.

Good luck and may the process be easy and painless.

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

For employment verification the EAD card and GC fall under List A which establishes indentity and work authorization for the I-9 form the employer must fill out so the SSC is not required. However the next question will be "What is your SSN?" as the employer needs that in order to withhold taxes. So technically you do not need a SSN for proving work authorization, but you will need it for tax purposes, therefore, in the long run in order to work you will need a SSN. Not hard to get now that you have the EAD. Go to the local SSA office near you and complete an application. Take your foreign passport and the EAD (for two forms of ID and age) and in about two weeks you will receive your SSC in the mail.

For those employers that want to see a SSC, just refer them to List A. I had one ask me for my card and I was using my US passport which is in List A. I pointed out to the HR perosn that with a document in List A I do not need to show you my SSC, besides I never carry it as it tells me on my card (date on card is 1962 version).

:ot:

As you go thru different life events you will discover that most people do not know what is actually required and they are reading from a provided script that may or may not be relivent to your specific situation--I have been going thru this in dealing with all the finacial institutions in dealing with my Mother's recent death. I must say that I get tied of trying to educate them when they tell me something incorrect.

Go get your SSC now that you have your EAD.

Good luck and may the process be easy and painless.

Dave

Exactly.

For my current position, I presented my US Passport and only my US Passport, as it is a 'List A' document. It stands alone as work authorization, as does the GC and the EAD (I looked at the I-9). I have in the past presented various combinations of Drivers License, US Birth Certificate or SS Card, but when I have shown my BC, they could not demand to see my SS Card. And that's the bottom line. You only need to know your number to be able to provide it.

If any employer insisted upon seeing the physical SS Card (assuming you presented a List A document or a List B Document and an alternate List C document), it is illegal and you (or your US citizen friends) would have a case against them if they had denied you employment at that point. In fact, it says so right at the top of the I-9:

"ANTI-DISCRIMINATION NOTICE: It is illegal to discriminate against work-authorized individuals. Employers CANNOT specify which document(s) they will accept from an employee. The refusal to hire an individual because the documents have a future expiration date may also constitute illegal discrimination."

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.