DaveE111

Things your wife/fiancee found strange about the states

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

On the good side, she has now encountered and learned the benefits to a culture that is:

Thinking and planning ahead. Paying attention. Focusing.

Being precise, speaking in complete accurate sentences, enunciating: exercising clear communication etiquitte and skills.

Being punctual, true to your word, and trustworthy to follow through.

Working your butt off. 110% effort.

The concept of saving for the future instead of living from crisis to crisis.

One thing about americans as people - not their government but as people - they are not wealthy because money fell from the sky. They are productive. They work. They work smart. For them, time is money.

In her province, if you asked someone what time it was while the clock was showing 8:07, they might tell you 8:00, and they might tell you 8:15. But not the actual time. What difference does seven or eight minutes make? Why would anyone need to know time to the minute? Why do you need to know the actual location I live in when you ask me? Isn't the largest city in my province better? Why pay the bill now when the service won't be shut off for a month? Why are you leaving money in the bank instead of spending it? Why do you arrive at meetings before they start?

Ha ha! It is so rewarding to see my wife getting annoyed with people there doing the same things she used to do!

These are third-world to first-world kinds of strangeness to encounter. In her province the myth is that if you married an American then all your troubles were over because you were rich. But instead, for her at least, it is a different way of thinking and acting.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This thread is so cute! Yehey!!!

I cannot wait to post what mine will find strange. Maybe the fact that we don't eat rice for breakfast? Just kidding!

I will keep you post it, I am sure you guys cannot wait for it.

3.gif

"The perfection/respect/credibility of a man decreases by the number of marriages he has had and by the number of kids he has outside his current marriage. ", Quote by Bite YourDust
  • Met on yahoo chat through a friend.
  • April 2010 - Decided to meet in person
  • 06.01.2010 - She flew from Dubai to Philippines for vacationing
  • 06.21.2010 - We met in Philippines
  • 06.24.2010 - Engaged
  • 06.28.2010 - Came back to USA
  • 07.05.2010 - She flew back to Dubai (work)
  • 08.02.2010 - Mailed I129F to VSC
  • 08.03.2010 - Delivered to VSC. Signed by D RENAUD.
  • 08.09.2010 - Check cashed
  • 08.14.2010 - NOA1 (Dated 08/06/2010)!!!!!!!!
  • 08.19.2010 - Touched!
  • 08.27.2010 - Received snail mail that typographical error was fixed.
  • 10.03.2010 - Touched!
  • 11.21.2010 - Visited her for a week in Dubai!
  • 02.14.2011 - NOA2 Approved on St. Valentine day!!!!!!!
  • 02.17.2011 - Packet left from NVC to ABU DHABI (Dubai)
  • 02.19.2011 - NOA2 hard copy received
  • 02.22.2011 - Packet reached ABU DHABI's consulate
  • 03.02.2011 - packet 3 & 4 received by email
  • 03.02.2011 - Confirmation of Interview on 04.14.2011 -
  • 03.07.2011 - Fiancee passed medical exam.
  • 04.14.2011 - K1-Visa Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 04.21.2011 - Picked up Visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At a 4-way stop. Everyone stops and takes turns very orderly.....She was shocked.

Yes, that amazed me too on a previous visit. Boy, was it scary driving in the US after years of driving in the anything-goes mayhem of Manila traffic. It was unnerving trying to follow traffic rules for a change! :blink:

Other things that amazed me (in California)

- wonderful, red, ripe, fresh cherries

- wild looking, initially mysterious, eventually delicious artichokes

- mourning doves cooing non stop in spring and summer

- Canadian geese honking overhead

- huge portions at the restaurants (and sadly, many huge people too)

- so many beautiful national parks!

- still so many hippies 40 years after woodstock LOL (at least in the bay area)

- Pinoy stores selling Chippy and johnson's baby cologne

Dec 05, 2011: Received U.S. permanent resident status (AOS based on K-1 visa)

Dec 16, 2013: Removal of conditions on green card

Apr 28, 2015: Became a U.S. Citizen

I send my wife pictures of the house..........she asked wheres the concrete wall? and razorwire!!!... :rofl:

i told her before getting her DL here.......yes stop signs mean STOP!! no horns, no playing chicken..... :whistle:

12/22/2010...married my soulmate,in tagaytay city.

USCIS...
01/28/2011...mailed I-130 to chicago Lockbox.....The journey begins
01/31/2011...receive I-130
02/05/2011...get a e-mail notice of NOA-1...states case transferred to CSC
02/08/2011...check clears my bank
02/10/2011... rec. hardcopy NOA-1 in mail...priority date..01/31/2011.....sit back relax and ride this slow mule!!
02/14/2011... touched ( it must have fallen on the floor )..hehe
05/12/2011...NOA-2 OMG...98days u kidding me!!!!!!!

NVC......

05/26/2011... finally got NVC case number...
05/28/2011... receive DS-3032 in e-mail/e-mailed the DS-3032 back
05/28/2011... receive AOS fee bill/ and paid online.
06/01/2011... AOS fee bill shows paid.
06/02/2011... DS-3032 accepted
06/03/2011... IV-bill generated and sented by e-mail
06/04/2011... Paid IV fee bill/ in progress
06/07/2011... IV fee bill showed paid/ downloaded cover sheet
06/08/2011... Express mail both the I-864(AOS) and DS-230
06/09/2011... Confirmed del at 11:10am signed by N visa center.
06/21/2011... SIF...yea!!! called NVC..yes case complete but no interview dates until aug..rats!!
06/28/2011... issured interview date set for 08/08/2011 At 6:30am.
07/12&13/2011... medical
YEA SHE PASSED MEDICAL

08/08/2011... interview approved!!!
08/19/2011...usa/arkansas.....

ROC

05/23/2013... mailed I-751 to Vermont

05/25/2013...delivery confirm received

05/30/2013...check cleared bank

06/01/2013...rec. NOA1 (receipt date 05/28/2013)

06/24/2013... biometrics appointment

Mine are: (first 3 are on my day 1 in US)

1. It's 7pm and it's not dark yet. I didn't really understand longer days 'til I got here.

2. US flags(big and regular) everywhere.

3. No people walking on the street, maybe one or two that's it.

4. Drivers seldom honk their horns.

5. Half an aisle of spices on grocery stores.

6. Leaf blower.

7. Freeways.

8. Signs giving exact bridge clearance. e.i 20.1

9. Lots of four way stop.

10. Laundromats. I like them.

11. Drive-through banking.

12. Difference between who shops at Wholefoods and who shops at Walmart.

13. Movies cost more. Can only watch once. Can't bring food too.

14. Students are wearing shorts to school.

15. A wreath on someone's car during Christmas time.

16. People say "hi" a lot.

17. Some people stealing grocery carts.

18. Beggars with nice clothes on the street.

19. Buildings have addresses on their walls.

20. Apartments giving one month free.

Yeah, I have asked my husband a lot of whys and hows in the first few months. I still do sometimes. :lol:

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Boy, was it scary driving in the US after years of driving in the anything-goes mayhem of Manila traffic. It was unnerving trying to follow traffic rules for a change! :blink:

I know..This was my one major change. Been in and out of the US, but the relatives were the ones driving. It looked so easy, knowing I could easily navigate the jungles of Manila. But when it was my first time, my then fiancee and now husband kept getting mad at me for all my wrong moves. It's hard to teach an old dog ( hey, I am not yet old though) new tricks! But because we are Filipinos, we can adapt easily. ;)

I became a disciplined driver, but I am now back in Manila; kept having a heart attack with the way my sister was driving from the airport. :rofl: But then I drove here on my second day, and I was back to how I was. Now my sister is telling me not to drive here anymore.

A couple little things I found funny, one came up today. Jena's been here 4 years but every once in awhile she'll tell me about something she found strange when she got here.

Today we saw a sign that said "Watch for ice on bridges". She said when she first got here in July, she couldn't figure out why the signs were there but never asked me about it. After traveling on the snow and ice a few times she figured it out but she never mentioned it until today.

She also said, lots of people she knows in Phils thought the snow made it cold outside, she figured out it's the other way around.

Kevin

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

1. Portion sizes, no rice, and no delivery at McDonalds, etc.

there is no mcspaghetti :lol:

i-129f sent - 5/25/11

noa1 - 6/1/2011

approved! - 1/26/2012

23h2kc4.jpg

Filed: Country:
Timeline

For Anna it was:

Mail:

* - Almost every day? Really?

* - You're joking right? Just put a stamp on and leave it in the mail box to send it?

The washer, dryer & dishwasher.

The fridge is so large.

The only restaurants she can get rice the way she likes it are Asian.

High School girls wearing "Pek Pek Shorts" everywhere.

A 2,900 sq ft house occupied by just 5 people.

Central Heating & Air.

People actually TALK on their cell phones.

Unlimited Texting on cell phone plans, how do they make any money?

Seeing parents ask their kids to Please behave and not act like insane wild animals in public, "In the Philippines the parents would just smack them if a child ever acted like that"

Getting a receipt for service calls, repairs & installations.

Really? I can just return it if I don't like it?

The manager cares that we waited 30 minutes for our lunch to be served and comped us our meal!

The brand name stuff is legit and counterfeits can't be found in every corner.

The power grid is reliable, why don't we have black-outs every other week?

The list goes on...

We have multiple accounts and we make multiple deposits. Some of the deposits are direct and some of the checks come in the mail. So we still use deposit slips sometimes.

Actually, PI have this one, too...

We have this in PI. We call it bottomless...:yes:

Same with this one...

:star:

Edited by ~happyndinlove~

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

Mine isn't here yet, but we have talked about banking a bit... she was amazed at the lack of deposit slips (I haven't filled out one in more than 10 years), and how I move thousands of $$ around and spend, without ever touching cash or checks. (She doesn't have checks, and I write about 1 every year or two).

Can't wait to see what else she finds amazing, but love reading your lists!

I found it strange that many Americans are way friendly than a fellow Filipina(s). :yes:

I find it odd (and mostly feel sorry) that many senior citizens are still working, pushing carts at the grocery stores when they should just be home resting. :unsure:

Most Americans want to work..I personally plan on working as long as I'm able..even if money isn't a factor. Sitting at home 'resting'.. usually alone.. leads to an early death. So don't feel sorry for the old man passing out carts at Walmart..chances are, he wants to be there. Remember, elderly Americans have Social Security averaging around $1,000 month and most are elgible for food stamps and other government services. But a lot of senior citizens are too proud to accept free hand outs and would much rather work. But one sad aspect of Americans is most children do not feel an obligation to take care of their parents...the nursing home industry fills that void (unfortunately).

DCF-Manila

10/02/2008 ---- Met

06/04/2010 ---- Married

04/26/2011 ---- Filed I-130

06/03/2011 ---- I-130 approved, notify by e-mail from (DHS/USCIS)

06/13/2011 ---- Received e-mail from Manila IV Correspondence

06/15/2011 ---- Received letter from DHS/USCIS (NOA)

06/28/2011 ---- Sent (fax) the DS-230I & DS-2001

07/05/2011 ---- Schedule for interview date (online)

07/11-12/2011--Medical PASSED

08/01/2011 ---- Interview - (done @9:00am) APPROVED

08/01/2011 ---- CFO (1:30pm)

08/05/2011 ---- VISA IN HAND (4days after interview)

08/12/2011 ---- Flight...

08/12/2011 ---- POE Seattle, WA (arrived @ 8pm)

1. I remember when she got here she didnt use ice in drinks. Now she does.

2. She feels guilty to return things to a store. Today she still wont.

3. Everything seems so clean here. She said in the Philippines she got "colds" 3 to 4 times a year (maybe allergies to the polution?). Now she rarely gets sick.

4. No honking horns.

5. No security at the bank or malls.

6. In the crowded streets of Manila she would keep a dead, emotionless face on, and look neither to the left or right and not make eye contact with others. She would not talk to people when out in public. Now she is relaxed and a pleasant look on her face in public.

7. Only after being here 4 months in 2009 she briefly went back to the Philippines, and already she did not like the crowds of people when walking. She said she almost was pushed over.

1. I remember when she got here she didnt use ice in drinks. Now she does.

2. She feels guilty to return things to a store. Today she still wont.

3. Everything seems so clean here. She said in the Philippines she got "colds" 3 to 4 times a year (maybe allergies to the polution?). Now she rarely gets sick.

4. No honking horns.

5. No security at the bank or malls.

6. In the crowded streets of Manila she would keep a dead, emotionless face on, and look neither to the left or right and not make eye contact with others. She would not talk to people when out in public. Now she is relaxed and a pleasant look on her face in public.

7. Only after being here 4 months in 2009 she briefly went back to the Philippines, and already she did not like the crowds of people when walking. She said she almost was pushed over.

Brian in Tennessee

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.