2Complicated

Hoping I'm Making the Right Decision

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline

Unfortunately, my fiance was denied his visa last week. However, on his denial paper, it is checked that he is eligible for a waiver. The embassy also gave him a few papers about the hardship letter that I will need to provide. I've been researching waivers ever since and have been freaking out. Several people use lawyers for the waivers. My Congressman suggest I did not use a lawyer, and just work through his office. I'm kind of worried about that. I just finished writing the hardship letter and posted it on immigrate2us.net website, so I can hopefully get suggestions. Does anyone have experience with this? Do I REALLY need a lawyer? Thanks for any advice.

09/28/10: I-129F packet sent Fed-Ex to Dallas Lockbox

10/01/10: I-129F packet received in Vermont

10/06/10: NOA1

10/07/10: Check cashed

10/13/10: Touched

03/25/11: NOA2

04/06/11: Packet left NVC

04/20/11: Papers from embassy

05/09/11: Turned in papers, received interview date, medical

05/31/11: Interview: Request court document

06/06/11: Brought requested paper, ANOTHER court document requested

06/13/11: Brought requested paper, embassy called to schedule appointment

06/16/11: Denied, but told he's eligible for a waiver

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is no way I would approach a waiver without a lawyer, specifically since it is MUCH more than a simple letter.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey! well I am not saying "don't use a lawyer" but there is many people on here, including myself, that did not use a lawyer, and got approved. if you don't, you will need to research ALLOT! and provide as much info as you can! my husband and I applied for the I-601 waiver back in Dec, and got approved last week. it is a headache, and allot of work, and the lawyer can do all the work for you, but I also heard horror sotries about lawyers messing it up.

Its really up to you, if you feel like you need one, then I suggest you get one, but myself, I was able to do one without one!

PM me if you need any help and suggestions with the things I put in my packet.

good luck!

Jen

"Canadian in Georgia"

Timeline

There is no way I would approach a waiver without a lawyer, specifically since it is MUCH more than a simple letter.

Good luck

Well, my letter can be viewed at http://immigrate2us.net/forum/showthread.php?99036-Please-review-my-letter.-Any-advice-is-appreciated. Maybe you can check out my letter when you get time and give some suggestions?

Edited by 2Complicated

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/316-how-do-i-prove-extreme-hardship/

have you seen post #2 of this link? It seems to me (which I honestly read it quickly) that you have level 4 and 5 arguments. Can you look at the link and then maybe come up with some other evidences/arguments?

This is what a lawyer is great at, finding hardships!

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey! well I am not saying "don't use a lawyer" but there is many people on here, including myself, that did not use a lawyer, and got approved. if you don't, you will need to research ALLOT! and provide as much info as you can! my husband and I applied for the I-601 waiver back in Dec, and got approved last week. it is a headache, and allot of work, and the lawyer can do all the work for you, but I also heard horror sotries about lawyers messing it up.

Its really up to you, if you feel like you need one, then I suggest you get one, but myself, I was able to do one without one!

PM me if you need any help and suggestions with the things I put in my packet.

good luck!

TOTALLY DIFFERENT BALL OF WAX, filing an in-country waiver while you are not separated from your family... IMHO.

As for Level of Arguments.... this work was essentially stolen from Hake Hardship Scale. Google Hake Hardship Scale if its not in the Research links here, and read the article carefully. While he is talking about a J waiver, the standard is "exceptional hardship" which is even more difficult than "extreme hardship". The principle is the same. Evaluate your hardships and articulate them in a way the adjudicator can say YES>

I did read your HSL and it needs work, actually a lot of work and it would not hurt you to speak with an attorney if you feel you cannot do the research or grasp the concept.

And lastly WHY he needs the waiver is key... if its criminal hardships must be more severe and you need to do a lot of work to develop "mitigating" circumstances and spell them out.

Edited by Sergi9

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I read your letter. Don't forget you not only have to prove that it would be extremely hard for you to move to Panama, but also that it would be extremely hard for you to stay in the U.S. without your fiance. (which means in some way a more significant hardship than the one any person would experience due to being separated from the one they love). I also agree with the above comments that your hardships are quite low on the scale. I would go for a lawyer on this one to see if you want to have any chance at success. From outside the country getting a waiver is not an easy feat. Unless your congressman's aide has already had success with the same embassy for a waiver for the same type of thing, don't take their word for it that they can help you - if it will be their first or one of very few times dealing with an embassy they may be surprised by how little clout they actually have there.

2009/06/19 - 1st NOA 1 (I-129F)

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2010/01/11 - interview; result - approved

2010/01/18 - received passport with visa in the mail

2010/02/05 - embassy calls and asked to return visa for a "correction"

2010/02/09 - fiance returns passport with visa to embassy

2010/03/09 - embassy tells us we are in "administrative review"

2010/09/07 - fiance receives passport back with canceled visa and letter; our petition has been returned to USCIS

2010/11/08 - 2nd NOA 1 (I-129F ROUND 2)

2011/04/19 - service request response - 6 months additional extensive background checks

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/10/20 - visa received

2011/11/04 - POE

2011/11/25 - legal marriage

2012/07/21 - wedding with family and friends!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I read your letter. Don't forget you not only have to prove that it would be extremely hard for you to move to Panama, but also that it would be extremely hard for you to stay in the U.S. without your fiance. (which means in some way a more significant hardship than the one any person would experience due to being separated from the one they love). I also agree with the above comments that your hardships are quite low on the scale. I would go for a lawyer on this one to see if you want to have any chance at success. From outside the country getting a waiver is not an easy feat. Unless your congressman's aide has already had success with the same embassy for a waiver for the same type of thing, don't take their word for it that they can help you - if it will be their first or one of very few times dealing with an embassy they may be surprised by how little clout they actually have there.

Congressmen have ZERO clout with Embassy and even less with USCIS. The waiver is adjudicated by USCIS not the Embassy. There is not a reason to contact a Congressman on a waiver unless there is clear legal error on the Embassy part, and then all they can do is make an inquiry and hope for a response.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I read your letter and replied on immigrate2us.com. I agree with the previous posts recommending a lawyer. It will be worth the money just to pick his/her brain on what other hardships you might have.

Timeline

I've got some consultations lined up for next week.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.