one...two...tree

Sea Levels Rising at Fastest Rate in 2000 Years

57 posts in this topic

I guess Steve gets to collect sea shells on a beach that is over run by punks. Dude your son aint gettin no guvvvvy money! Hey Stevie YO BOY aint gettin no SATISFACTION!

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I guess Steve gets to collect sea shells on a beach that is over run by punks. Dude your son aint gettin no guvvvvy money! Hey Stevie YO BOY aint gettin no SATISFACTION!

Is it your BIRTHDAY? :star: :star: Why, hope you have a SUPER DE DUPER DAY!! :dance: :dance:

barney_dinomite.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

At the current rate, with the fudge factors included in the study, that should happen in a mere two millennia.

Still confused about what is a fudge factor huh?

If that 3 meter 'fudge' (10,000 year last ice age ends times 0.3 millimeter rise/year) isn't due solely to melting ice water going somewhere... where would it go? Think about what has happened to ocean salinity over that time. You might not have thought about that before reacting in denialist (ignorant) fashion.

Filed: Timeline

Still confused about what is a fudge factor huh?

If that 3 meter 'fudge' (10,000 year last ice age ends times 0.3 millimeter rise/year) isn't due solely to melting ice water going somewhere... where would it go? Think about what has happened to ocean salinity over that time. You might not have thought about that before reacting in denialist (ignorant) fashion.

Melted ice displaces the same amount of water as frozen ice. There isn't enough glacial ice to account for the rise. Ever heard of comets, or asteroids?

Edited by Some Old Guy

Melted ice displaces the same amount of water as frozen ice. There isn't enough glacial ice to account for the rise. Ever heard of comets, or asteroids?

Not true. Density of ice & water are different. That is why a can of soda explodes if you leave it in the freezer. Something to do with length of the bonds in a crystalline structure.. Chemistry nerds, please feel free to correct me :P

Since, densities are different, volume will be different too because the mass remains constant.

Mass = Density * Volume

Timeline

I'm not sure you completely comprehend where most of the freshwater ice was located during the Ice Ages... :lol:

HINT: not over most of the oceans.

But if this is a case of you, random guy on the internet, knowing more than the scientists... well... sigh.

Timeline

Not true. Density of ice & water are different. That is why a can of soda explodes if you leave it in the freezer. Something to do with length of the bonds in a crystalline structure.. Chemistry nerds, please feel free to correct me :P

Since, densities are different, volume will be different too because the mass remains constant.

Mass = Density * Volume

On the right track. :star:

Liquid water moves at higher energy and it increases solubility of salt ions in solution due to this fact. Ice would certainly displace salt water in the ocean, related to Bernouli, but would also float due to the density differential.

Mass = Density * Volume

The difference in density is why ice floats on liquid water. However, you must have misread my statement, as I was discussing displaced water, and we are talking equal masses, not volumes.

On the right track. :star:

Liquid water moves at higher energy and it increases solubility of salt ions in solution due to this fact. Ice would certainly displace salt water in the ocean, related to Bernouli, but would also float due to the density differential.

:rofl: Physics fail!

I'm not sure you completely comprehend where most of the freshwater ice was located during the Ice Ages... :lol:

But if this is a case of you, random guy on the internet, knowing more than the scientists... well... sigh.

:rofl: Geography fail. Most of the earth's surfaces are not land masses.

Edited by Some Old Guy

Timeline

The difference in density is why ice floats on liquid water. However, you must have misread my statement, as I was discussing displaced water, and we are talking equal masses, not volumes.

Where would that liquid water displacing salty seawater come from?

HINT: from the melting ice caps.

HGeography fail. Most of the earth's surfaces are not land masses.

And where were the ice masses mostly covering?

Keep your logic straight. You're straying.

Timeline

Like I said... sigh.

"I'm not sure you completely comprehend where most of the freshwater ice was located during the Ice Ages... :lol:

But if this is a case of you, random guy on the internet, knowing more than the scientists... well... sigh."

Can we get a 'reading comprehension fail' too?

Like I said... sigh.

"I'm not sure you completely comprehend where most of the freshwater ice was located during the Ice Ages... :lol:

But if this is a case of you, random guy on the internet, knowing more than the scientists... well... sigh."

Can we get a 'reading comprehension fail' too?

Gee, I know of one ice cap on Earth that they drive submarines under. I wonder about your planet.

Timeline

Gee, I know of one ice cap on Earth that they drive submarines under. I wonder about your planet.

Yeah, and that same Ice cap was there during the last Ice Age right, since you're avoiding that subject... You know there was a lot more ice at that time right? :lol:

Yeah, and that same Ice cap was there during the last Ice Age right, since you're avoiding that subject... You know there was a lot more ice at that time right? :lol:

And there is the other ice cap, that is surrounded by open ocean in all direction. There is very little land surface in the southern hemisphere, especially compared to the northern hemisphere.

The spatial distribution of ocean regions and continents is unevenly arranged across the Earth's surface. In the Northern Hemisphere, the ratio of land to ocean is about 1 to 1.5. The ratio of land to ocean in the Southern Hemisphere is 1 to 4.

xq-map.gif

oo-map.gif

http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/8o.html