figuringthisout

DS-260 Questions:

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So to start out with, I'm rather lost. I know bits and pieces of things we're going to need for the NVC step now, but how they all go together I have barely an idea.

First of all: The DS-230 I figured out on my little own, is the application FOR the visa that we're trying for! (Correct?) However, since we have to go to Montreal for our interview - we need to use the DS-260 (the online form) right?

(I'll preface all of this by saying I'm very computer literate, I know how to make a PDF file etc and all that jazz. I think that may be needed is why I'm saying this... lol)

If that's all accurate - that sounded simple. This was until I started researching some more:

I'm assuming we need these to be sent in with the DS-260?

• Police Report
    We need to get her police report. I have found out where and how to do that, so thats no big deal. My question is when is this needed? Who do I send/take it to?
  • Marriage Certificate
    I see this is needed for the DS-230 right? If we're doing the DS-260 do we just email in a copy we scanned? Is this when the PDF making comes into play?

-----------Bottom Line:---------------------

I see we need 3 forms (the numbers may be off but you get the jist lol please do correct though so I can use as reference):

• DS-260
  • DS-3032
  • I-864

Also we need to get the following items:

• Police Report
  • Medical Done (When? How? Where?)
  • 4 Passport Photos
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate
  • Copy of Passport Bio Page
  • Last 3 Years Tax Transcripts
  • Current Year's Paystubs

Can someone glue all of these together for me and explain how I would submit them all or when/where they're needed?

I.e.

DS-260

-Marriage Certificate Copy

-Passport Bio Page

-Police Certificate

I-864

-Last 3 years tax transcripts

-Current Years Paystubs

etc?

Thanks!

Just so much stuff floating in my head I need to be able to see it all before I understand! =S

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I believe you only fill in the ds-260 IF instructed to do so, its for those who did electronic processing i think?

first you pay the AOS fee .... and then shall be instructed to submit your I-864 documents (I-864 form/forms, and pay stubs, tax documents)

Then you pay the IV fee .... and submit the DS-230 packet...this contains the police report (be sure to photocopy it, you'll need to take a copy to the medical) passport bio page, birth cert, marriage cert and passport photos

You can book your medical anytime from now, check to see where the approved facility is.

After that providing you have no RFE's you will have case complete

Edited by britishspouse

Total time from posting I-130 to VISA in hand 7 months 21 days :D

timeline.jpg?t=1311777984

Timeline

thats pretty much what i already know... my question is where are all these extra documents required? when do i give them the police records, how? you say ds-230 "packet"... all i see online for the ds-230 is about 3 or 4 pages of stuff to fill out and sign... is it like the I-130 where you send additional stuff in with it, for example? if so why dont any of these "nvc fast track" guides tell you what's needed to send in with these packets? lol

I believe you only fill in the ds-260 IF instructed to do so, its for those who did electronic processing i think?

also i think Montreal is REQUIRED to do so... from what i'm reading

Edited by figuringthisout

Timeline

thats pretty much what i already know... my question is where are all these extra documents required? when do i give them the police records, how? you say ds-230 "packet"... all i see online for the ds-230 is about 3 or 4 pages of stuff to fill out and sign... is it like the I-130 where you send additional stuff in with it, for example? if so why dont any of these "nvc fast track" guides tell you what's needed to send in with these packets? lol

Not sure what you mean by 'where' ... You will be sent an email to pay a fee. After you have paid it it will give you instructions of what to send, and tell you what to send. Then you get another bill, requesting the rest of the documents :)

Are you going through the montreal embassy? If so here is the link telling you about your medical http://travel.state.gov/pdf/medical/MTL-MED-ENGL-0005-1103.pdf

Here is a basic flowchart which explains what and when http://www.visajourney.com/examples/NVC_Process_Flowchart_v1-2.pdf

and yep montreal is one of the countries using teh DS-260 http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_5164.html Here is the basic NVC site where you can find out more. http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/nvc/nvc_1335.html Click the steps required and enter your embassy and it should give you the info you need :)

Edited by britishspouse

Timeline

It wont let me open the DS-260 But if you do there should be instructions with it, that say what to send :)

On the NVC site they have the forms, plus it will say for example (I-864 Checklist) which is where it tells you what additonal documents you need to send :)

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html here is the civil document list

Edited by britishspouse

Timeline

Awesome info britishspouse! It also lead me to this nifty PDF: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/pk3_supplements/MTL-PK3-ENGL-0002-1009.pdf which is specifically for Montreal - I'll do some more reading and see if I can figure it all out =P

EDIT: In the meantime, I'll assume the "checklist" for the DS-230 is the same as the 260 so at least I wont be caught with my pants TOTALLY down! =D lol Thanks again...

EDIT AGAIN: Well that PDF I linked seemed to be pretty useless... anyone else have any specific info on Montreal NVC process?

Timeline

Awesome info britishspouse! It also lead me to this nifty PDF: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/pk3_supplements/MTL-PK3-ENGL-0002-1009.pdf which is specifically for Montreal - I'll do some more reading and see if I can figure it all out =P

hehe cool :)

Yeah there are so many PDF's and links lol. Plus its different for every country so I didnt want to give you bad info, but i try to be helpful :)

This part can get very time consuming and hectic even if you do research (our house was paperwork crazy lol) :P

hope it all makes sense :) Have you had your choice of agent form yet?

Edited by britishspouse

Timeline

Nope not yet, waiting for our case number still =S While we do though I'm trying to make sure what documents we need. Like for the DS-260, I'm sure they'll give me instructions on it. Thing is -I don't want to wait for their instructions-!!! I wan't it all "completed" before we even have access to it! Which is another reason I want to do electronic processing. I want to get done with NVC in less than a month.

Timeline

It wont let me open the DS-260 But if you do there should be instructions with it, that say what to send :)

On the NVC site they have the forms, plus it will say for example (I-864 Checklist) which is where it tells you what additonal documents you need to send :)

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html here is the civil document list

Yeah this site, like others just gives basic information. Is there somewhere I can find specific information for these forms, perhaps even see what they look like/see their instruction pages? I would like to know I need to send a specific document before its even requested... hence the "fast track" I'm trying to follow =D

Timeline

Just as a reference for people to see what I've been looking at:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_for_Montreal_Beneficiaries_%E2%80%93_Electronic_Processing_and_New_Online_Forms

It shows what's what... but doesn't get into specifics: In other words it says I need all these documents, but doesn't say when I need to submit them lol...

Just as a reference for people to see what I've been looking at:

http://www.visajourn...ew_Online_Forms

It shows what's what... but doesn't get into specifics: In other words it says I need all these documents, but doesn't say when I need to submit them lol...

Hi, I created that wiki :)

I'm not sure what you're having problems with as I clearly state when to send things in. But I'll give a quick recap of the whole NVC process for those in Montreal.

1. Get case number/IIN/BIN from NVC

2. Fill out DS-261 online (this is the DS-3032 but the online version for those in Montreal)

3. Send optin email (if doing EP, still optional at NVC)

4. AOS bill will be invoiced, pay that

5. IV bill will be invoiced once the DS-261 is accepted, pay that

Now, you have two choices. You can either wait for the optin email acceptance, which can take a few days to a few weeks, before sending in any documents. Or you can send in your documents as soon as the respective bill appears as PAID in the payment portal.

Whichever you choose, email the AOS package to NVC. Once your IV bill appears as PAID, the DS-260 will be available to be filled out online. You can send the supporting documents for the IV package either before or after you finish the DS-260. I waited till I submitted the DS-260 before emailing my package.

And that's it. The process is exactly the same as the NVC process for others that aren't eligible for EP and/or online forms. Just the method we send/fill out forms is slightly different. The timing is still the same.

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help :)

Also, you should check out my blog here: http://journeythroughimmigration.blogspot.com/ I blogged about my process throughout and might give you a better, more personal idea of this process.

Edited by Saylin

Timeline

Ah yes just who I was hoping would reply! =D

Basically - what I'm confused about (heh, what am I NOT confused about right now? lol) is what exactly is IN these "packages"?

I found a I-864 instruction guide:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

And it says you need the past year specifically of your tax return (I'm sending 3 and paystubs too per suggestions here, but only one year is "required")

You must provide either an IRS transcript or a photocopy from your own records of your Federal individual income tax return for the most recent tax year. If you believe additional returns may help you to establish your ability to maintain sufficient income, you may submit transcripts or photocopies of your Federal individual income tax returns for the three most recent years.

What I'd like to find is a DS-260 guide...(looking through your WIKI I don't see this specifically referenced, excuse me if it is, I can be really blind sometimes!! lol) is whether the Police Report is scanned and sent in with the DS-260? Also when do I need to send in copies of the passport / marriage certificate / passport type photos? Or are these 4 documents just needed for the interview itself?

Ah yes just who I was hoping would reply! =D

Basically - what I'm confused about (heh, what am I NOT confused about right now? lol) is what exactly is IN these "packages"?

I found a I-864 instruction guide:

http://www.uscis.gov.../i-864instr.pdf

And it says you need the past year specifically of your tax return (I'm sending 3 and paystubs too per suggestions here, but only one year is "required")

What I'd like to find is a DS-260 guide...(looking through your WIKI I don't see this specifically referenced, excuse me if it is, I can be really blind sometimes!! lol) is whether the Police Report is scanned and sent in with the DS-260? Also when do I need to send in copies of the passport / marriage certificate / passport type photos? Or are these 4 documents just needed for the interview itself?

I wrote in my wiki what's required for both the packages. But here's a recap.

AOS package:

-bar-coded cover sheet (from payment portal)

-cover letter (optional, but I suggest)

-I-864, completed and signed by petitioner

-tax information (one year required, 3 years optional)*

-employment letter (optional, but suggested)

-pay stubs (optional, but suggested)

*Either send in tax transcripts (preferred) OR 1040s and W2s.

IV package:

-cover letter (optional, but suggested)

-2 passport pictures 2" x 2" (full name, date of birth, and case number written on both)

-photocopy of bio-data page in passport

-original/certified copy of birth certificate

-original/certified copy of marriage certificate

-original police certificate

You can't send the IV package with the DS-260 as the DS-260 is filled out and submitted online. You then email the supporting documents for the IV package either before you fill out the DS-260 or afterwards, or in between. Whenever you want anytime after the IV bill appears as PAID.

And you then bring the original documents to your interview where an officer will request them. You'll get your birth and marriage certificate back once they look at it.

Timeline

No offense to your wiki but I've read over that wiki of yours and searched other NVC fast track wikis/posts for like a week, every day at work in between calls to figure stuff out... and I just now realized the IV package is different than the DS-260! lol... I'm getting there! lolol

But where in your wiki do you reference what's **IN** the IV Package? I see its generated with the AOS after you first sign in after getting your case number.

Once its paid... you can submit the DS-260 - then after thats completed you print off the cover sheet and put it on the IV Package:

After you submit the DS-260, print out the ‘Document Cover Sheet’ available at the payment portal when you click on the IV bill. Add this cover sheet to the beginning of the PDF package. Have the cover letter (signed) after that, with your supporting documents in order that is listed on the cover letter.

Is this PDF package the IV package you refer to above?

IV package:

-cover letter (optional, but suggested)

-2 passport pictures 2" x 2" (full name, date of birth, and case number written on both)

-photocopy of bio-data page in passport

-original/certified copy of birth certificate

-original/certified copy of marriage certificate

-original police certificate

No offense to your wiki but I've read over that wiki of yours and searched other NVC fast track wikis/posts for like a week, every day at work in between calls to figure stuff out... and I just now realized the IV package is different than the DS-260! lol... I'm getting there! lolol

But where in your wiki do you reference what's in the IV Package? I see its generated with the AOS after you first sign in after getting your case number.

Once its paid... you can submit the DS-260 - then after thats completed you print off the cover sheet and put it on the IV Package:

Is this PDF package the IV package you refer to above?

Haha, yes, the DS-260 is different from the IV package. DS-260 is submitted online, while the IV package is emailed (or snail mailed for those not doing EP).

I reference what's needed in both packages right near the top. Under the big header of 'Steps', then I have two sub-headings: "I-864 - Petitioner" lists everything you need for the AOS package. Then the next sub-heading "DS-260 - Beneficiary" lists what you need for the IV package as well as info on the DS-260.

If you do EP, then you make one PDF file for the entire AOS package and email that off. Then you make another PDF file with the entire IV package and you send that off.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.