Emelie

Big problem DS-230

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi. I have a question about how to fill out a question on my DS-230

So to shortly tell my story. Before me and my husband got engaged (or married as we are now), at the time when he was only my boyfriend I decided to apply for a student visa. I was a student here before and I just planning on studying there. I went to the embassy in Stockholm Sweden (were student visas are generally given out very easy) although, I had my husbands parents as my sponsors and when I was asked if he was my boyfriend, I simply and stupid enough lied. The lady who interview me did not believe me and therefore denied my visa. We shortly thereafter got married and are now in the immigration process. We have both been living in Sweden since we got married and he will attend at the embassy with me.

To my question. At the DS-230 part 2 question 40 (F) It states as fallow - "An alien who failed to attend a hearing on deportation or inadmissbility within the last 5 years, who seeks or has sought a visa, entry into the United States, or any immigration benefit by fraud or mispresentation, who knowingly assisted any other alien to enter or try to enter the united states in violation of law, who, after November 30, 1996 attended in a student visa, visa status of U.S. public elementary school or who attended a U.S. public secondary school without reimbursing the school, or who is a subject to a civil penatly under UNA 274 C"

So the part that Im unsure about is the "BY FRAUD OR MISPRESENTATION" cause yes, when I was asked I wasnt honest, we had a serious relationsship but we were not engaged or had plans to get married at that time. So to get to the point, will I have to fill out "YES or a NO" in that box? I do not at all wanna be dishonest. And how would they handle the application if I put a yes?

Greatfull for all ur help! Love Emelie

tough call, if you ask me. i wouldn't want to "lie" either, but if you put "yes" you are basically ineligible for a visa (as far as i can tell, from reading the sentence in bold at question 40).

sorry not to give an answer, this is just my interpretation.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

If I m in your place I would say “Yes” the only reason embassy has copy of all the documentation you provided to them on earlier encounter.

So if you lie this time, they would be able to connect that it’s the same person you got married and his parents all are same.

You don’t want to have mis-representation during your immigration interview.

Emily, How would they know he was your bf.He could be a friend?

ARE YOU PUTTING YES AS YOU LIED AT THE INTERVIEW?

Me and my husband were friends and my sponsor was my mum. I got rejected as there wasn't ties in UK. Do I have to tick yes as well?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Emily, How would they know he was your bf.He could be a friend?

ARE YOU PUTTING YES AS YOU LIED AT THE INTERVIEW?

Me and my husband were friends and my sponsor was my mum. I got rejected as there wasn't ties in UK. Do I have to tick yes as well?

Does that question count as a lie? Yes or no. Exactly what precisely is defined as a boyfriend? That itself is vague. Does ever going to bed count as a legitimate dating relationship, or was it enough? Some might never even hold hands but are still considered boyfriend-girlfriend. Some others may have been sleeping together for years but they are still not quite considered a dating couple. Who knows. So you might not have been not completely forthcoming in confessing your relationship, but to say that you definitely lied? I don't think so. It is still disputable.

If you lied on issues that makes you inadmissible in order to obtain a visa, then that is a red flag that stays on your record. Is having a US boyfriend an inadmissible clause? No I don't think so. You failed to get the visa because you could not convince the VO that you would not stay in the US indefinitely, not because you hesitate to reveal your intimate relationship or privacy. You have to indicate that you were denied visa. But you do not have to indicate exactly why you were denied visa, because honestly you do NOT know the reason for the denial.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Tough one, you'll need someone with a proper legal interpretation of that question, you dont want to compound misrepresentation with misrepresentation! Good luck!

N400

Filing based on 3yrs/USC Spouse. 3 year residency anniversary is in August 2014. Filed immediately after the 90-day early filing mark (May 2014)

05/06/2014 - Mailed N-400

05/15/2014 - Check cashed

05/12/2014 - NOA Date

06/11/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

09/15/2014 - Inline for interview scheduling (was stuck in "Initial Review" for over 3 months!)

10/27/2014 - Scheduled for interview

12/01/2014 - Interview

12/19/2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN!

Hi Emily,

Just checking that I read right. When you applied for the uSA F1 visa you mentioned that your tution fees and living expenses will be paid by your bf. Correct!! as he was your sponsor.

I am not quiete getting this..what made u think that u lied to them?

You guys were dating and bf/gf. It wasn't official rite? So how is it a lie?

What did they ask you on your F1 interview and what was the reason given for your denial? As far as I understand you intention was to study in usa not immigrant at that time as you were dating usa bf..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.