* Kristin *

Obtaining driver's license in California

9 posts in this topic

I've tried searching some previous posts on this topic; however, I can't seem to find quite what we're after.... apologies if I somehow missed this information somewhere.

My fiance arrived in the US on June 9, 2011 on a K-1 visa.

We have not married yet and therefore have not filed AOS.

He is going to get his SSN number next week.

To obtain a driver's license IN CALIFORNIA, is an SSN required? Or can he go and take the written portion of his test - bringing valid I-94 - BEFORE he receives his SSN to obtain his license?

Thanks....

K.

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

Filed: Timeline

You need ssn when u apply for drivers license, when i apply for my ssn the lady told me that i can check back with 24 - 48 hours to see if they have a number for me and i did the next day, you can go back to the ssn office and they will print u the number until u get ur ssn card in the mail, mine took about a week

Our AOS Journey

March 4, 2011 Mailed 1-130 and AOS at the Chicago Lockbox thru USPS express mail

March 07, 2011, 9:44 am Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

March 25, 2011 NOA hard copy received

April 1, 2011 got an RFE for sponsors tax returns

April 15, 2011 biometrics appointment

May 12, 2011 rfe sent via usps priority mail

May 16, 2011 rfe recieved at lees summit

May 19, 2011 text/email notification rfe being reviewed

May 20,2011 I-485 touched/updated

May 27, 2011 Email/txt EAD Card Production

June 1, 2011 Email/txt notification for AOS Interview

June 3, 2011 Email notification EAD Card was mailed

June 7, 2011 EAD Card Received

July 6, 2011 AOS Interview *APPROVED*

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes,

not only is a SSN required, but the California DMV will cross-check the SSA's records before issuing a California driver (no "s") license to him.

There are several problems attached to this, however.

First, the California DMV just recently introduced a new driver license that is so safe that the vendor in Connecticut has problems making them. I waited several months for mine. Secondly, the best your fiance can hope for is a California license that expires when his I-94 expires. The problem with that is that once he has an expired California driver license, he can't use his British license anymore. I therefore strongly suggest that he drives with his British license until he becomes a California resident. That will be the case once he has his Green Card or at least his EAD in hand.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Just Bob / Joanna.. interesting points, thank you.

See - that is what we had planned to do - allow him to drive on his UK license; however, he was reading the Driver Manual and it stated something like you can only drive for 10 days on a foreign license? Is that truly the case? (He's just surpassed the 10-day mark)

Yes,

not only is a SSN required, but the California DMV will cross-check the SSA's records before issuing a California driver (no "s") license to him.

There are several problems attached to this, however.

First, the California DMV just recently introduced a new driver license that is so safe that the vendor in Connecticut has problems making them. I waited several months for mine. Secondly, the best your fiance can hope for is a California license that expires when his I-94 expires. The problem with that is that once he has an expired California driver license, he can't use his British license anymore. I therefore strongly suggest that he drives with his British license until he becomes a California resident. That will be the case once he has his Green Card or at least his EAD in hand.

K1 Journey
09/02/10..... NOA1
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!

ROC Journey

01/06/14.... biometrics

Naturalization Journey

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

Just Bob / Joanna.. interesting points, thank you.

See - that is what we had planned to do - allow him to drive on his UK license; however, he was reading the Driver Manual and it stated something like you can only drive for 10 days on a foreign license? Is that truly the case? (He's just surpassed the 10-day mark)

One has 10 days after becoming a resident of the Golden State to apply for a California driver license. In layman's terms: once he has his Green Card he has 10 days to get this buttock to the DMV and apply for a California driver license. Imagine every tourist could only use their rental car for 10 days and thereafter take the bus or hire a limousine!

The California DMV states: "Presence in the state for six months or more in any 12-month period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency." So if he hasn't received his Green Card within a year, he also is prohibited to continue driving on his British license any longer.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

One has 10 days after becoming a resident of the Golden State to apply for a California driver license. In layman's terms: once he has his Green Card he has 10 days to get this buttock to the DMV and apply for a California driver license.

10 day requirement is a bit confusing. Is is neccessary to apply for it in 10 days, even if you don't plan on driving right away? If I don't apply within 10 days, will I still be able to apply for it later when I decide to start driving?

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Just Bob,

Thanks for the clarification.. the '10 day' bit was a little confusing... but when you put it in the "what would a tourist do" situation - make a lot more sense. Thanks!

One has 10 days after becoming a resident of the Golden State to apply for a California driver license. In layman's terms: once he has his Green Card he has 10 days to get this buttock to the DMV and apply for a California driver license. Imagine every tourist could only use their rental car for 10 days and thereafter take the bus or hire a limousine!

The California DMV states: "Presence in the state for six months or more in any 12-month period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency." So if he hasn't received his Green Card within a year, he also is prohibited to continue driving on his British license any longer.

K1 Journey
09/02/10..... NOA1

AOS Journey
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!

ROC Journey

01/06/14.... biometrics

Naturalization Journey

10 day requirement is a bit confusing. Is is neccessary to apply for it in 10 days, even if you don't plan on driving right away? If I don't apply within 10 days, will I still be able to apply for it later when I decide to start driving?

If you don't plan on driving, you don't need a driver's license, ever. There is no law requiring anybody to apply for a driver's license ("driver license" in California).

What we are talking about here is that somebody who wants to operate a motor vehicle needs a driver's license. If such a person becomes the resident of a state of the union, he or she has a certain grace period in which they would need to apply for a state-issued driver's license. In California that is 10 days after becoming a resident. A resident is not only a person who pays in-state tuition in California, or is registered to vote in California, or pays property taxes in California, but also a person who spent more than 180 days in any given calendar year in California. Thus, it's 10 days after becoming a resident, to which the 1-year time frame puts a definite end.

Even more to the point, in California one can drive with their foreign license up to 10 days after receiving the Green Card but not longer than 1 year.

Since driving license issues are state issues, every state can handle this differently.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.