PinkReload

Very Important - Getting Canadian Companion to the U.S.

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Well, I don't know if this is the right section of the forum to be posting in. . . but I'm desperate for information and need to post somewhere for help.

As a bit of a back-story, I'm 18 year-old natural U.S. citizen, and have just finished my first year of college in my hometown in Oregon. I met a girl online from Canada 4 years ago, and we quickly became best friends. We talked religion, politics, humor. . . just anything, all of the time. We're so alike. After several failed relationships on both of our parts and a very bad abuse situation on hers, last year in August she confided to me that she had feelings for me. Amazingly, I had/have the same feelings for her!

Now, no one asks for an online relationship. It's difficult because of the distance, to say the least. However, me and her have done well for this year. We've fallen very deeply in love. Because of the fact that we are both in a tight money situation, we haven't been able to visit each other yet. However, we both did plan on her coming to visit in September. Originally, we wanted her to be able to stay here once she came, but we don't think that's possible. My parents originally told me that she would be able to legally, but I'm pretty sure things changed since 9/11.

Without any more blabber, I will get out with my question. What would be the easiest, cheapest, and least time-consuming way to get her here, married to me, and able to stay in the U.S. without having to go back to Canada? I know that it's a sticky situation and not the most favorable, and I know that any way of getting her here will take a lot of time and effort. But, it's something I have to do. I love her very much, and she's been through so many terrible situations in her life. She was even living in a homeless womens' shelter in Canada a couple months back. It hurt me so much to not be able to do anything about that. She always tells me how much she needs me, so I'm going to fight tooth and nail to get her here. I'll even postpone college for years if I have to. I'd even call my governor or get 1,000,000 petition signatures for her to stay here if it were possible and there were no other option.

What is the best, legal way of getting her here? I've heard horror stories concerning immigration bureaucracy, and I don't want to be a part of those. It's my worst fear. I've been so emotional and teary the past couple days because there is nothing more that I want than to get her here, and it's such a nightmare to imagine not being able to give her the safety and comfort she deserves.

The past couple of days I've talked to her and done my best to convince her that she -is- a very strong person and will survive anything in her life, no matter if I'm there or not, at the expense of her confusion. No matter if I die tomorrow, or if her living with me doesn't happen as efficiently as we thought, I always want her to know that she'll be able to do anything she wants.

Please, I am desperate. I pray all day to make this work, and I believe the Lord will help. I just want confirmation. I have a basic idea of the things such as "fiancee visas" and such. Can any of you explain what the best way of getting her here to stay with me is? I'm sure there are at least some of you there who can sympathize with my situation. I would be eternally grateful if any of you could help. I've even thought about scheduling pricey immigration lawyer appointments just to make sure I have a foolproof plan that won't end in heartache.

Also, I have some questions that she wanted answered, in her words:

- If I come and then have to leave in 6 months, how long till I can come back?

- If I become an American citizen do I stay Canadian? Or is there a special process I need to go through to keep my Canadian citizenship?

- If I can help with support/your parents do you need to have a job, therefore delaying school?

- How long does the whole process take for each step?

- What type of identification should I have/bring with me?

- How long should we wait till we get married?

- Can I stay in the country under the premise that I am studying there in the USA as an international student? [she wants to go to school here, too, eventually]

- What health-care options do I have?

Please, I'm begging you, if any of you could help, my life would be much happier than it is now. I've been through thread after thread, site after site, but can I please talk to one of you about it who knows first hand? I'd keep you in my daily prayers my whole life.

Since you have not met in person, there are no family visas you can sponsor her for. She can come visit for 6 months, but if she appears to be moving to the US, the Border Patrol will probably deny her entry.

There is nothing to be scared about with immigration - it takes a long time, but there are no tricks if you tell the truth and do some research into the process.

Once you have met in person, you can either apply for a fiance visa, which takes 6-8 months (maybe longer in Canada as Montreal Consulate is backlogged - Canadian members can address that more specifically), or you can get married and apply for a spousal visa. Both of these options require that she goes home for a while. It is illegal to use a non-immigrant visa to immigrate to the US. She can, however, wait out part of the time in the US and then go home for her interview. You will also have to show that you have money to support her (make over $18K a year) or get a co-sponsor.

Look over the visa options and learn about the processes.

To answer her questions:

1. Depends on what visa you apply for.

2. You won't become American Citizen for years. The first step is getting "permanent residency" and holding that for years. Eventually, if you become eligible for citizenship, you can retain your canadian citizenship.

3. This seems like a personal question.

4. Around a year.

5. Your passport to cross the border. It is illegal to immigrate on a non-immigrant visa so bring vacation things.

6. Your choice.

7. No, unless she applies for a student visa which she has to show she can pay for school and will go home when it is done.

8. Hopefully a canadian member will answer this.

Do not think about faking any "premise" or making any lies - that will get you in serious trouble.

Some unsolicited advise:

You are 18 and have never met this person. Meet each other first and see what happens. Relationships have to be based on more than just saving a damsel in distress. Best of luck to you.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This really belongs in the Canada section! http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/

If you are tight on money the K-1 visa is going to cost over 1070$ once its all said and done. The Spousal CR-1 is probably going to be cheaper by a little bit and you need to be married for that.

- If I come and then have to leave in 6 months, how long till I can come back?

You need to spend more time outside of the USA than inside it. The entry time is based on CBP when you try to enter the USA for vacation you need good ties saying you have to go back to canada. Job, rental agreement etc.

- If I become an American citizen do I stay Canadian? Or is there a special process I need to go through to keep my Canadian citizenship?

You don't become an american citizen from marriage you have to wait years for this. You do not lose your Canadian Citizenship you become a dual citizen, you do not stay in canada you would be living in the US for quite some time before being able to apply for US citizenship.

- If I can help with support/your parents do you need to have a job, therefore delaying school?

You have to sponsor your fiance or spouse regardless. This means you have to prove 125% of the poverty guidelines for the I-865 affidavit of support. However Canada allows co-sponsors/joint sponsors which can be your parents if they meet the guides.

- How long does the whole process take for each step?

CR-1 takes around a year. K-1 takes close to a a year as well if you are interviewing in montreal, maybe a few months less if in vancouver.

- What type of identification should I have/bring with me?

Passport.

- How long should we wait till we get married?

Depends on when you want to get married.

- Can I stay in the country under the premise that I am studying there in the USA as an international student? [she wants to go to school here, too, eventually]

No you have to have a student visa.

Travel health care only. You have no options until you are married and have a green card.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Canadian public health insurance doesn't do much for you out of Canada. She needs to get a private travel insurance to cover everything that is not. Call your provincial health authority for more details but keep in mind if your friend stays out of Canada for more than 183 days in a year she will loose all her Canadian health care benefits until she comes back. Province of Quebec does allow a once in a 7 years permission to extend the coverage past the first 183 days in a year but you have to ask for it ahead.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

Canadian public health insurance doesn't do much for you out of Canada. She needs to get a private travel insurance to cover everything that is not. Call your provincial health authority for more details but keep in mind if your friend stays out of Canada for more than 183 days in a year she will loose all her Canadian health care benefits until she comes back. Province of Quebec does allow a once in a 7 years permission to extend the coverage past the first 183 days in a year but you have to ask for it ahead.

Also most provinces have a wait period of living in Canada 3-6 months to get your OHIP health care back after you have been outside of Canada to long.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

Here is the visa comparison page: http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

K-1 visa step by step guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

K-1 visa flow chart to show the process: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

CR-1 step by step guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Filed: Other Timeline

This is not immigration advice, its life advice. :ot:

If you are 18 and have never even met in person in real life forget about worrying about immigration and all that. Just go and meet your online love first, neither of you need tourist visas but just make sure you state the purpose of your trip as a vacation or visiting a friend and don't carry any love letters or printed emails or photoshopped couples photos :lol: .

If you have a car you can drive across, they won't grill you. The point is that getting married and dealing with immigration are big serious life decisions, you will be dealing with immigration for 5-10 years either country you guys live in. I'd seriously advise you to meet in person FIRST and just see how it all goes, is there a rush? You guys really have it easy anyway with no need for tourist visas for either of you, I'd take it slow.

Timeline

I've moved this topic from the General Immigration forum to the Canada Regional forum as it discusses other issues in addition to the actual immigration process and this is a better location in which to get the appropriate advice

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Travel health care only. You have no options until you are married and have a green card.

I know this is somewhat OT (and I intend to start my own thread soon for questions for the post-interview process), but are you not eligible for your spouse's insurance (if they have any) once you immigrate and get married? That is, I'm coming to the States on a K1 visa and getting married ASAP. My fiancee has insurance at his work that covers family members- but do I have to be a permanent resident/complete AOS/have a greencard to get health insurance, or can I get it as soon as I have the marriage certificate? Or is this up to the individual insurance company?

Sorry for derailing the thread :D

Timeline

I know this is somewhat OT (and I intend to start my own thread soon for questions for the post-interview process), but are you not eligible for your spouse's insurance (if they have any) once you immigrate and get married? That is, I'm coming to the States on a K1 visa and getting married ASAP. My fiancee has insurance at his work that covers family members- but do I have to be a permanent resident/complete AOS/have a greencard to get health insurance, or can I get it as soon as I have the marriage certificate? Or is this up to the individual insurance company?

Sorry for derailing the thread :D

Most insurance require SSN and green card or SSN. He will have to find out from his insurance company what their rules are. :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.