Europeanboy

We don't have my wife's original both certificate cause she lost it. Do I have to have the original for the interview or a saved photo copy is fine?

13 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I just sent the N-400 and I enclosed a color photo copy saved in the computer of my wife's birth certificate. Do I have to have the original at the interview cause I forgot that she had lost the original?

Edited by VSCfiler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

What can I say, wifes' IO wanted to see mine, when I started this mess with the USCIS, got six originals from my state. Google search tells you where to get them, in my case, was five bucks a copy. May also want to include a copy of yours. Should only take a couple of weeks, you have plenty of time, or risk getting an RFE.

But you are asking an IO dependent question and they don't seem to consider you got your green card based on your spouse's birth certificate, the original one. So how did you get your green card? Don't bring that up, just get an original.

What can I say, wifes' IO wanted to see mine, when I started this mess with the USCIS, got six originals from my state. Google search tells you where to get them, in my case, was five bucks a copy. May also want to include a copy of yours. Should only take a couple of weeks, you have plenty of time, or risk getting an RFE.

But you are asking an IO dependent question and they don't seem to consider you got your green card based on your spouse's birth certificate, the original one. So how did you get your green card? Don't bring that up, just get an original.

When We had the AOS interview she hadn't lost it but I don't even think they asked us for the original birth certificate at the interview..

Timeline

When We had the AOS interview she hadn't lost it but I don't even think they asked us for the original birth certificate at the interview..

I Remember our AOS interview perfectly, brought in a lot of evidence, even a letter from my bank stating my wife couldn't be added to my checking account because of there interpretation pf the American Patriot Act. That IO was sweet, friendly, and didn't want to see any of that stuff.

Wasn't even going to bring the N-400 evidence with us, same St. Paul office. But did my wife run into a b!tch as did my stepdaughter. Just saying, its your risk. May get a decision cannot be made at this time, have to get that original, and make another trip with a long delay. Then again, you may not have to. Instructions state, you are required.

Timeline

You can use a passport in lieu of a birth certificate. Birth certificate has to be an original certified copy.

Why didn't I suggest that? Just told my stepdaughter two days ago to take her US passport to SS for citizenship verification, and perfectly acceptable to the USCIS as well.

Good thing we have other board members.

Filed: Other Timeline

They like to see the birth certificate instead of the US passport, but that one would work as well. Listen, the original birth certificate you lost or misplaced is now many decades old, I presume, so why don't you spend about $11 on a new one? Heck, order 3!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hey folks,

I just sent the N-400 and I enclosed a color photo copy saved in the computer of my wife's birth certificate. Do I have to have the original at the interview cause I forgot that she had lost the original?

I find it curious that you need the birth certificate to receive the Green Card. With proof of having a Green Card why do they have to see the birth certificate once more? Seems kind of redundant.

2005-07-20 Sent Xiang first email

2005-11-19 Met Xiang in Nanning

2005-11-25 Asked for Xiang's hand in marriage

2006-02-21 Date I-129F Sent

2006-02-24 Date I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2006-03-15 Applied for Emergency Expedite

2006-04-03 Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2006-04-25 Date packet was sent from NVC to Guangzhou, China

2006-07-07 Date Xiang recieved Packet #3 from Guangzhou, China

2006-07-08 Date Xiang sent Packet #3 to the U.S. Consulate

2006-07-27 Date Xiang recieved request for biographical information on our daughter

2006-07-27 Date Xiang sent biographical information to the U.S. Consulate

2006-08-17 Date Xiang sent biographical information to the U.S. Consulate, again!

2006-08-21 Date Xiang called, faxed and mailed the U.S. Consulate the biographical information

2006-08-22 Email from the U.S. Consulate, they FINALLY received the G-325A form for our daughter!

2006-08-22 Waiting patiently for Packet #4 to arrive, bring my soulmate to my open arms!!!

2006-08-25 Packet #4 sent out from the U.S. Consulate, in transit to my baby!!!

2006-08-29 11:25pm Email from the U.S. Consulate, the interview date is October 17th!

2006-09-29 Medical examination for Xiang and our daughter Qi. Interview is just around the corner!

2006-10-16 11:15pm VISA APPROVED!!!!

2006-10-29 Xiang and Qi arrived in Detroit, immigrations 2 1/2 hours, finally holding my sweetheart in my arms.

2006-11-05 Exchanging our vows, what a beautiful day for our wedding!

Timeline

I find it curious that you need the birth certificate to receive the Green Card. With proof of having a Green Card why do they have to see the birth certificate once more? Seems kind of redundant.

Entire N-400 is redundant, but historically, the basic form was written before such a thing as adjustment of status and this permanent resident thing. USCIS just hasn't gotten around to rewriting it yet. Well, except for Emilio, the last permanent director of the USCIS messing up that form so it makes sense to him, but nobody else.

Maybe they will get around to updating next year. But maybe not. If you want your US citizenship, you do it the way they tell you to. But a lot easier if you wait those two extra years. But in your case, your daughter will be over 18, so instead of paying 600 bucks for the N-600, will have to pay 685 bucks for the N-400, and she will have to study for the civics test.

They like to see the birth certificate instead of the US passport, but that one would work as well. Listen, the original birth certificate you lost or misplaced is now many decades old, I presume, so why don't you spend about $11 on a new one? Heck, order 3!

We just checked for the online order of the birth certificate they want to charge us $48 + $15 for every additional certified copy + 19.75 for UPS Express. That's outrageous and it's coming from a web site refered by the Michigan state department. $70 crazy people...

Timeline

We just checked for the online order of the birth certificate they want to charge us $48 + $15 for every additional certified copy + 19.75 for UPS Express. That's outrageous and it's coming from a web site refered by the Michigan state department. $70 crazy people...

Extremely cheap when compared to Venezuela and Colombia, in particular when their corrupted government made typos in both my wifes' and stepdaughters birth certificates that had to be corrected in their court of laws. Each was 500 bucks, that is US bucks, with another 500 US bucks sent to a Miami bank account of their judges to process these minor changes in a reasonable length of time. Otherwise they will take two years in court to process it. That was a thousand bucks each for two corrected birth certificates.

I looked at my keyboard, the "V" is right next to the "B" they hit instead, and was consistent throughout, but have to be corrected first for the AOS.

I feel safe leaving cash all over my home, but those birth certificates are locked up in a very secure safe.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Extremely cheap when compared to Venezuela and Colombia, in particular when their corrupted government made typos in both my wifes' and stepdaughters birth certificates that had to be corrected in their court of laws. Each was 500 bucks, that is US bucks, with another 500 US bucks sent to a Miami bank account of their judges to process these minor changes in a reasonable length of time. Otherwise they will take two years in court to process it. That was a thousand bucks each for two corrected birth certificates.

I looked at my keyboard, the "V" is right next to the "B" they hit instead, and was consistent throughout, but have to be corrected first for the AOS.

I feel safe leaving cash all over my home, but those birth certificates are locked up in a very secure safe.

Edited by Boyinflorida

AOS TIMELINE

10/11/07 AOS SENT 10/15 DELIVERED

10/23/07 NOA I-130, I-765, I-485 dated 10/19

10/27/07 EAD and AOS Bio received

11/09/07 RFE received. Case resumed.

11/20/07 Biometrics done

11/21/07 EAD&AOS appeared online

11/25/07 AOS&EAD touched!

12/28/07 EAD card production ORDERED

12/29/07 INTERVIEW letter scheduled for 03/25/08

01/07/08 EAD RECEIVED

02/28/08 I-485 touched, I-130 appeared on-line

03/25/08 INTERVIEW:APPROVED, YEA

03/26/08 WELCOME NOTICE SENT&I-130 APPROVED

03/28/08 Card Production Ordered!

04/02/08 Approval Notice Sent, I-485

04/04/08 GREEN CARD in the mail box!

I-751 TIMELINE

03/05/10 I-751 Sent, 03/06 Delivered to VSC, USPS Express

03/10/10 Check cashed

03/13/10 NOA dated 03/08 RECEIVED

03/23/10 BIO Notice dated 03/19 SCHEDULED for 04/14/.Case-Online.

04/09/10 Early Bio Done

04/18/10 I485&I765 touched on Sunday!

05/27/10 CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!

06/17/10 GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

SEPTEMBER, 2011 U.S.CITIZENSHIP

About the mistake I even don't wanna think about that part because her name is also misspelled they missed one letter in the middle of her first name and even without that letter her name still sounds right. But the strange part is that the SS Administration issued her a SS card with her correct name. So now her name is right on the SS card but wrong on the drivers license and the birth certificate. We were trying to correct it asking for the requirements but we did not have the papers they asked for and we couldn't go up there deal with that. After losing her birth certificate we have to order it online. On our debit cards her name is right so if the birth certificate name is wrong may the are not gonna process it if the name on the debit card is different. I was thinking to go and buy American Express gift card and order it with that or call one of my credit cards that she is not on and give them her birth certificate name as an authorized user. They are not gonna ask for her SSN to verify her name and I hope that will work. Hopefully they are not gonna make a big deal at the interview. They did not for AOS.............

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.