MishaMoose

I-129F question 16

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

So I understand that question 16 wants Zhenya's full name and address in her native language ...

but as she is from Crimea that is an interesting question ...

Russian (which is her first language) or Ukrainian (which she speaks only when necessary i.e. presenting papers at conferences)?

Any guidance?

Many Thanks!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi, my fiancee also from one of the republics of former Soviet uniion. her country uses latin alphabet, but I still wrote her name Russian for I-129 beacuse I indicated St Petersburg consulte; it worked. In your case, depends what language the embassy in Ukraine will use; write in that language. Good luck

So I understand that question 16 wants Zhenya's full name and address in her native language ...

but as she is from Crimea that is an interesting question ...

Russian (which is her first language) or Ukrainian (which she speaks only when necessary i.e. presenting papers at conferences)?

Any guidance?

Many Thanks!!

Write it in Russian, that's what we did in 2007 and our visa was approved. Good luck.

Write it in Russian, that's what we did in 2007 and our visa was approved. Good luck.

Just to explain why I said Russian. In Crimea, they speak mostly Russian and associate themselves as Russians. That is why in 2007 we went and submitted our I-129F in the cyrillic alaphabet (Russian). It is only the name and address, and I am not an expert in the language, but I can't imagine there would be a significant difference. I am sure others who have filed for their SO in the Crimea can tell you what they did. Good luck to you and I bet you probably are itching to go back now to Crimea. :yes:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It appears from the varied responses that it doesn't really matter. I believe that the purpose of this question is so that they can check the name across lists and databases. So I believe the correct answer is whatever her name was originally written in (on her birth certificate, passport, school documents, etc.) You could probably also include both.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

It appears from the varied responses that it doesn't really matter. I believe that the purpose of this question is so that they can check the name across lists and databases. So I believe the correct answer is whatever her name was originally written in (on her birth certificate, passport, school documents, etc.) You could probably also include both.

List her name as written in her passport. That is what they will crosscheck against.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Crimea is Ukraine. official language is Ukrainian. i bel;ieve your fiancee has ukrainian citizenship. so it should be written in ukrainian.

Just because you live somewhere and/or are a citizen of a certain place doesn't mean their language is your native language. Just ask all those brown people along our Southern border.

Her native language may be different than the native language of the country she's living in.

List her name as written in her passport. That is what they will crosscheck against.

BINGO!!! We have a winner!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

When we applied, my wife's passport was about to expire. She got a new one but this one was based upon the Ukrainian alphabet and everything changed. Even the English spelling of her name changed, so we used that spelling. Definitely use the passport spelling.

Timeline

When we applied, my wife's passport was about to expire. She got a new one but this one was based upon the Ukrainian alphabet and everything changed. Even the English spelling of her name changed, so we used that spelling. Definitely use the passport spelling.

As several noted ... and as it occurred to me after I woke up this morning :bonk:

"what it says on her passport". We were chatting this morning about 3:30 am my time and she asked me "so Misha, do you need that information in Ukrainian or Russian?" and I was not cleared headed enough to think it through.

So almost certainly Ukrainian and it will make some difference. Both languages are Cyrillic but have a few different characters.

Other things are moving along .. but filing will be somewhat delayed. She has to sign a new contract with the University where she lectures and the case for sole custody of her daughter will begin in August.

Since there is no knowing how long it will take to get approval and an interview, or how long the custody case will take, I advised her to sign a year’s contract and we will file around the first of the year … that way with any luck the visa will be ready around the time her contract is up.

No planning for another visit around the end of October .. the 2nd anniversary of our face to face meeting.

Thanks for all the help!

Timeline

Just to explain why I said Russian. In Crimea, they speak mostly Russian and associate themselves as Russians. That is why in 2007 we went and submitted our I-129F in the cyrillic alaphabet (Russian). It is only the name and address, and I am not an expert in the language, but I can't imagine there would be a significant difference. I am sure others who have filed for their SO in the Crimea can tell you what they did. Good luck to you and I bet you probably are itching to go back now to Crimea. :yes:

Thank you!!

Yep it is definitely an interesting situation .. you can be sure if the C.A.R. government in Simpheropol had the say the documents would be in Russian. It is funny that most of the Crimeans I know consider themselves 'Russian' ethnically even those that want nothing to so with Russian politically.

And yep I cannot wait to go back! :yes::yes: Crimea is gorgeous. And I love Kerch. We would be staying there if I could work but that isn't an option now. In a few years when I retire we may well go back. Social security will go MUCH further in Kerch than anywhere here.

Thank you!!

Yep it is definitely an interesting situation .. you can be sure if the C.A.R. government in Simpheropol had the say the documents would be in Russian. It is funny that most of the Crimeans I know consider themselves 'Russian' ethnically even those that want nothing to so with Russian politically.

And yep I cannot wait to go back! :yes::yes: Crimea is gorgeous. And I love Kerch. We would be staying there if I could work but that isn't an option now. In a few years when I retire we may well go back. Social security will go MUCH further in Kerch than anywhere here.

Well good luck to you!!!! I have a deep affection for Simferopol. I have been there more than I can count. :innocent: I have not been to Kerch, but if you ask me, I'd live anywhere in the Crimea on retirement pay. :thumbs: But, I don't think I will be going back anytime soon. :crying:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Misha, I just read your post where you mentioned Zhenya does not have her foreign passport yet. The beneficiary name (question# 1) has to be spelled exactly as written in her foreign passport. Regarding question# 16, either way. Iwrote (handwriting) all in Russian as it's his native language.

У нашому регiонi цей чорт зветься — шахтар

Timeline

Misha, I just read your post where you mentioned Zhenya does not have her foreign passport yet. The beneficiary name (question# 1) has to be spelled exactly as written in her foreign passport. Regarding question# 16, either way. Iwrote (handwriting) all in Russian as it's his native language.

Elle, Thanks for the information!

I have never really seen a Ukrainian foreign passport -- will her name will be in english/latin alphabet on it? Question 1 does not indicate it should be other than english. Or am I over thinking? Ack!

Thanks for this information ... yet another reason to not expect a marriage before next summer :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Elle, Thanks for the information!

I have never really seen a Ukrainian foreign passport -- will her name will be in english/latin alphabet on it? Question 1 does not indicate it should be other than english. Or am I over thinking? Ack!

Thanks for this information ... yet another reason to not expect a marriage before next summer :)

The name, DOB, and place of birth are listed in both languages, Ukrainian & Russian, in the internal passport. The external (aka foreign) passport is in English, but only the Ukrainian info from the internal passport is translated in English/Latin. That's where all complications come from. I can imagine how many variations on Zhenya’s first name.. Eugenia, Eugeniya, Evgenia, Evgeniya, Yevgenia, Yevgeniya. Stop me, plz, but continue w/ her last name. smile.gif

У нашому регiонi цей чорт зветься — шахтар

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.