MESV

Where the hours turn into days, and the days turn into weeks!

9 posts in this topic

When me and my fiance first looked into the K-1 VISA, we were like, YEAH 5-8 months we can do that...it's long a time, but we can do it. I never knew how hard it was going to be, I mean the 1st stage....the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG wait for the NOA2 was ok, I guess because we knew it was going to be long. After receiving that, for some reason I thought the process was going to be EASY.....hahahaha...HOW WRONG I WAS. I guess what I'm trying to say is that through every stage of this process, your heart jumps a beat, you become anxious, nervous, you don't want to miss a beat in the process by not sending in the right forms on time etc etc. I had my medical last week and sent my packet 3 forms in also...now I guess it's a wait...for the elusive appointment date..........

I have used this website since day 1, for information, support and personal experiences .I have immense RESPECT FOR EVERYONE GOING THIS JOURNEY/ADVENTURE.....IT TAKES GUTS, PATIENCE AND FAITH...........

I just wanted to put that out there in the VISA universe.........much love to you all.

MESV......waiting for packet 3 to be logged.

A HIGH FIVE AND A HUG TO ANYONE THAT NEEDS ONE :)

Just when you think it's going to start to get easier there's always another suprise. I mean I've been approved now but the stress from making all the arrangements for finishing off at work, arranging for shipping and the insurance, and waiting for my passport to arrive. It's enough to drive you insane. I think really when you think about it, the whole process is going to rule our lives for the best part of two years. Only upside is once you finally get out there at least you have each other to make it easier.

That sounds bad doesn't it? I think I just need to vent today

event.png

I think really when you think about it, the whole process is going to rule our lives for the best part of two years.

Longer than that. We went through faster than it's taking you guys, then filed AOS just over a week after entering the US. AND we just got the notice of approval of the 10 yr greencard. So that's 3 years and 3 months dealing with immigration. Once you get together relax a little. Just let things come in time and get on with your life without checking your case status constantly.

Here's a heads up tip for you: Your greencard will be for 2 years only. Then you have to file for removal of conditions. Yes more money and forms. But with it you have to document the whole two years of your married life showing you live together and co-mingle your lives and money. So get a shoebox or folder and toss things in it that show both your names or photos with friends/family. Otherwise two years down the road you may not have a copy of a 2011 joint bill, or bank statement, or boarding passes from trips, or car insurance form, or cards mailed to Mr./Mrs. You don't have to have every one but a smattering from the beginning of your marriage, middle, and right up until you file is helpful. Then when the time comes, you'll have a handy collection of documents you can organize into a ROC packet.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

When me and my fiance first looked into the K-1 VISA, we were like, YEAH 5-8 months we can do that...it's long a time, but we can do it. I never knew how hard it was going to be, I mean the 1st stage....the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG wait for the NOA2 was ok, I guess because we knew it was going to be long. After receiving that, for some reason I thought the process was going to be EASY.....hahahaha...HOW WRONG I WAS. I guess what I'm trying to say is that through every stage of this process, your heart jumps a beat, you become anxious, nervous, you don't want to miss a beat in the process by not sending in the right forms on time etc etc. I had my medical last week and sent my packet 3 forms in also...now I guess it's a wait...for the elusive appointment date..........

I have used this website since day 1, for information, support and personal experiences .I have immense RESPECT FOR EVERYONE GOING THIS JOURNEY/ADVENTURE.....IT TAKES GUTS, PATIENCE AND FAITH...........

I just wanted to put that out there in the VISA universe.........much love to you all.

How sweet!!!!!

French-AmericanFlag_medium.jpg

We met in June 2008
We got engaged on 08-06-2010!!!!!
08-30-2010:I-129F Sent
09-03-2010: I-129F NOA1
09-13-2010:Touched
10-03-2010:Touched!! !feels gooood :)
02-24-2011: RFE...grrrrrr
03-18-2011: NOA2 - it took them 6mths 2 wks and 2 days (or 196 days)!!!!
03-??-2011: NVC received
03-29-2011: Petition sent to London
04-05-2011: Embassy received petition
04-09-2011: Packet 3 received
04-11-2011: Packet 3 sent
04-13-2011: Medical
05-12-2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!
07-04-2011: POE
08-05-2011: We're married!
09-14-2011: AOS, EAD and AP forms sent
09-16-2011: Receipts for AOS, EAD and AP forms
11-17-2011: RFE...
12-08-2011: Send evidence back to USCIS...and now we wait
12-23-2011: EAD/AP card sent
12-29-2011: EAD/AP card received :)
12-29-2011: Case transferred to CSC
03-29-2012: AOS approved!
04-05-2012: Green card in hands

03-06-2014: Removal of conditions packet received at VSC...and now the wait starts again!

luh6s78.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ditto to everything you're feeling. We were sooooooo excited to get our NOA2, then a month later we find out that a traffic fine from 17 years ago will most likely be a crime of moral turpitude and get my fiance's visa denied which will put us on the waiver route (another 8-12 months before decision). I can't describe how devastated I was. But now we're making plans for the next year and fortunately I can shift things around at work so that I can be with Graeme for about four months out of the next year. We'll be together for both our birthdays and Christmas. My mom has even offered to come to the UK for Christmas so she can be with me and her future son in law. The wedding will be much later, but it doesn't change our feelings for each other. I'm also convinced that if you can make it through this process, your relationship will be stronger than most and you've got a pretty good chance of a long and loving marriage. I'm sure you feel the same when I say that its worth the wait.

Good luck to you on each stage of this crazy journey.

And thanks for the hug. I needed one!

Here's a heads up tip for you: Your greencard will be for 2 years only. Then you have to file for removal of conditions. Yes more money and forms. But with it you have to document the whole two years of your married life showing you live together and co-mingle your lives and money. So get a shoebox or folder and toss things in it that show both your names or photos with friends/family. Otherwise two years down the road you may not have a copy of a 2011 joint bill, or bank statement, or boarding passes from trips, or car insurance form, or cards mailed to Mr./Mrs. You don't have to have every one but a smattering from the beginning of your marriage, middle, and right up until you file is helpful. Then when the time comes, you'll have a handy collection of documents you can organize into a ROC packet.

:thumbs:

I must confess I didn't do this. Fortunately I have easy access to all of my records at work, and we had moved within the past six months and I have a copy of our lease. Without either of those things, I would have been in trouble!

Good luck to all of you who are waiting! Believe me, once you have that visa in hand time will fly past (well, it has for me...) and soon you'll have forgotten how agonizing the wait is.

Oh - and make the most of your time in the UK! I swore I'd be back every year, and so far it's been a year and a half since my last visit and when I next go, it'll probably only be for a week. Flights are hellishly expensive these days and American vacation policies suck! :crying: One thing I am really glad I did is spend a lot of time with family & friends before I left.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Timeline

Ditto to everything you're feeling. We were sooooooo excited to get our NOA2, then a month later we find out that a traffic fine from 17 years ago will most likely be a crime of moral turpitude

Really? I'm not disputing what you're saying - but that's totally unexpected. I'm lucky enough to have no record, not even speeding, but I always thought that unless you'd beaten someone up, or robbed a bank, or something then you were OK. I've never seen any reference to old traffic fines causing problems for VWP.

My mum had a speed camera fine from the local authority (37 in a 30, or something) a couple of months ago. Is it likely to cause her some issues when she comes over to the US for our wedding celebrations? I'd hate if she had to go all the way down to London to get a visa instead of just doing ESTA and entering on VWP like me.

Edited by dealradh

Timeline

Really? I'm not disputing what you're saying - but that's totally unexpected. I'm lucky enough to have no record, not even speeding, but I always thought that unless you'd beaten someone up, or robbed a bank, or something then you were OK. I've never seen any reference to old traffic fines causing problems for VWP.

My mum had a speed camera fine from the local authority (37 in a 30, or something) a couple of months ago. Is it likely to cause her some issues when she comes over to the US for our wedding celebrations? I'd hate if she had to go all the way down to London to get a visa instead of just doing ESTA and entering on VWP like me.

Well, its a lot more complex than that, but the UK sent him to traffic court because he used a tax disc from one of his cars on another car that he owned (the first broke down) and the conviction he received is considered fraud, although his intent was not to defraud the government, he was just in a jam and broke. The UK doesn't even recognize the crime anymore (he paid a $50 fine...) and the records had to be dug out of the archives. Its a problem because of the word "fraud" and that same charge covers theft and/or counterfeiting of a tax disc as well. He knows he made a stupid mistake, but he didn't have any devious plans behind the decision. Graeme feels terrible that this mistake from when he was 24 will probably cost him his visa, but we can't find a way around it...

Edited by advocator

Advocator sorry to hear about your traffic violation predicament.......hopefully you can find a solution to that problem.

Alex & Rach.......thanks for your post, I found it interesting that you mentioned the importance of trying to enjoy your family and friends before you leave.......as inevitably like you said, once you make the move to the U.S it's not easy to see friends or family as regularly as you would like. I am living at home currently just to save as much $$$$$$$$ as I can....so I am seeing my folks and friends all the time, I am going to miss them forsure...but I am just soooooooooooooo ready to kick on with my life. I suspect it'll be a case of " you don't miss something until it's gone kinda thing"

I got the DS230 form send back the other day because I had made a mistake on one of the questions, sent it back off the same day, they should receive it today, I guess it's good that they were looking at my forms anyways. Here's hoping for a quick turnaround............INTERVIEW LET'S GOOOOOOOO!

So another week begins.....let's get some GOOD NEWS REGARDING INTERVIEW DATES

ALL THE BEST X :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.