trinitylupe

US citizen marrying Polish/German in Germany

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

My fiance and I wish to marry within 2-3 months in Germany, then we wish to file the I-130 with joint Affidavit of support as I am a student and cannot support him financially. We met online 6 months ago. I am told we will have difficulty getting approved because we met online. Does anyone have advice about my situation?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think most of met online. I am from US and him from Morocco. We met on dating site. But they did ask for proof of how we met and how I paid for the site in my RFE. So, keep proof of that for later. I suggest to keep all emails, chats, phone calls, cards (we send 123 greetings and they let you print them ou tnow). Just be able to prove a real relationship.

My fiance and I wish to marry within 2-3 months in Germany, then we wish to file the I-130 with joint Affidavit of support as I am a student and cannot support him financially. We met online 6 months ago. I am told we will have difficulty getting approved because we met online. Does anyone have advice about my situation?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I think most of met online. I am from US and him from Morocco. We met on dating site. But they did ask for proof of how we met and how I paid for the site in my RFE. So, keep proof of that for later. I suggest to keep all emails, chats, phone calls, cards (we send 123 greetings and they let you print them ou tnow). Just be able to prove a real relationship.

I am not sure if most met online.

If you met online, and since you only "met" 6months ago. You will have to be more creative in finding proof of bona fide relationship if you haven't lived together or even met each other yet. Make sure you provide as much evidence as you can and check out what constitutes primary evidence. If I were in that situation, I might organise papers to have joint accounts/insurance etc for when you go over there so that you can show proof of mingling of finances as part of your application.

Read page3, "What documents do youneed to prove family relationship"

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf

Best of luck and congratulations on deciding to get married!

Edited by Helen Louise Pile

05-2010 I-129F application received by USCIS.

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

07-2010 Packet 3 received.

08-2010 Packet 3 returned.

09-2010 Medical in London.

10-2010 Interview at US Embassy in London: Approved.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

11-2010 Married in Vermont.

03-2011 Notice of acceptance of AOS packet.

03-2011 Biometrics appointment in St Albans.

03-2010 Case transfered to California Service Centre.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I am not sure if most met online.

If you met online, and since you only "met" 6months ago. You will have to be more creative in finding proof of bona fide relationship if you haven't lived together or even met each other yet. Make sure you provide as much evidence as you can and check out what constitutes primary evidence. If I were in that situation, I might organise papers to have joint accounts/insurance etc for when you go over there so that you can show proof of mingling of finances as part of your application.

Read page3, "What documents do youneed to prove family relationship"

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf

Best of luck and congratulations on deciding to get married!

TrinityLupe Repy: Thank you for the reply. All replies I find helpful. The mingling of finances I did read about as part of the I130 application. After we marry he will add my name to his finances. When we come to the US we want to relocate to Vermont (I am now in Texas,) preferably near Brattleboro. I am concerned about finding work there. I currently work as substitute for the school district, but I am willing to take a simple job at Wal-mart in Vermont simply to get there and pay for a place for us until he finds work. Do you recommend any sites helpful in this, as I have googled many times finding work in Vermont but am not satisfied with results.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

TrinityLupe Repy: Thank you for the reply. All replies I find helpful. The mingling of finances I did read about as part of the I130 application. After we marry he will add my name to his finances. When we come to the US we want to relocate to Vermont (I am now in Texas,) preferably near Brattleboro. I am concerned about finding work there. I currently work as substitute for the school district, but I am willing to take a simple job at Wal-mart in Vermont simply to get there and pay for a place for us until he finds work. Do you recommend any sites helpful in this, as I have googled many times finding work in Vermont but am not satisfied with results.

I shall PM you about Vermont :)

05-2010 I-129F application received by USCIS.

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

07-2010 Packet 3 received.

08-2010 Packet 3 returned.

09-2010 Medical in London.

10-2010 Interview at US Embassy in London: Approved.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

11-2010 Married in Vermont.

03-2011 Notice of acceptance of AOS packet.

03-2011 Biometrics appointment in St Albans.

03-2010 Case transfered to California Service Centre.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

It will vary between countries. I know nothing about Germany, but would assume it would be on the easier side.

Personally, I am from the UK. My husband and I met online, maybe October 08 but it was really January 09 that we started talking properly. We met in real life at the end of March 09, married in July 09. Started the immigration process in August 09. I received my visa and moved to the US in February 10. The fact that we had married so soon after meeting was no problem, not even mentioned. I went to the interview, they said hi and gave me my visa. (Well, not exactly, but basically that was it.)

If you have not yet met at all it might be a good idea to try to meet up before the trip on which you will marry, but if you really can't afford that then don't worry about it too much. I wouldn't think it would matter too much in Germany. We were going to marry on our first meeting (ie July) but I ended up visiting twice before then.

For the I-130 you will not have much concrete evidence of your relationship, other than the marriage certificate, and this is fine as they can't expect much from a newly married couple living in different countries! Include affidavits from people who know of your marriage, maybe family members who attend the wedding? Also if you do have any kind of financial thing to show, even something basic like stuff showing that both of you contributed to the wedding expenses, however small and basic. But don't worry about this too much. There is no need for pictures etc for the I-130.

Edited by JoannaV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

It would be good idea if you guys first meet in person atleast once, take a vacation or something. He being from Germany can always visit you on VWP and spend sometime with you.

See if you guys click in real life or not, I can tell you real life and online life are very different. If you do searching on this forum you will find tons of cases where ppl got married hastily and then they regret that decision. Turning the immigration wheel in the opposite direction is more difficult once its set in motion.

Why would you want to move to Vermont? In fact when Texas has the 2-3 cities in top 10 growing cities list, just curious what is making you even think about it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.