coraliesolms

Trip to DC..

25 posts in this topic

So. YAY my folks are coming to visit from South Africa next year, and hubby and I decided to take them to DC, since neither of us have been there, we figured it would be a fun vacation for all.

However, we only have 2 days (one night) to spend in DC, so I would LOVE to have opinions from anyone else who has visited..

Best way to get around

Best things to see

Best hotel to stay at (price vs comfort)

and most importantly.... Where to eat?? :whistle:

My dads one and only request on this whole trip is this "I want to eat at one of those diner places and have a giant breakfast with apple pie afterwards.. it want a breakfast so big and greasy that I get chest pains eating it"... his words not mine.

Any input would be most appreciated. Thank you!!

Coralie

Edited by coraliesolms

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Best way to get around here is metro and buses . We also have Circulator buses that cost a dollar. The circulator has routes that go to southwest waterfront to chinatown convention ctr, convention ctr to georgetown, navy yard to union station. And another route I'm sure I'm forgetting. Baracks Row in SE DC is basically a strip full of restaraunts. Best way to get there is take the metro (Green Line) to Navy Yard and the circulator stop is right there :) as for that big greasy breakfast he can go to Ted's, located right in that same area.

K-1

12.15.2009- we met <3 :) i love my muffin.

10.19.2010 NOA1

10.27.2010 "Touched"

5.2.2011 NOA 2

5.5.2011 Received NOA2 hardcopy

5.19.2011 Emailed/Sent Packet 3

6.14.2011 Received Packet 4

7.1.2011- Interview(Approved!!)

7.13.2011- "Visa Transferred"-- whatever that means...

7.25.2011- "Visa Issued"-- whatever that means...

7.28.2011- Visa arrives at DHL facility (8:30 pm)

7.29.2011- Visa received

7.31.2011- POE (BWI)-- NEVER ISSUED AN I-94 (WTH)

8.15.2011- I-94 Obtained from IAD's CBP Inspection Office

AOS & EAD

9.8.2011- Mailed USPS Priority Express

11.29.11- RFE for Income Tax Return-- SEND YOUR ENTIRE TAX RETURN DOCUMENT!!

11.30.11- mailed Tax Return UPS Priority Express

12.9.11 AOS "transferred to a USCIS office" - - supposedly our local one

12.14.11- "touched"

12.15.11- received EAD

2.8.12- put in a service request for GC

2.22.12- My husband was contacted by the local USCIS office here in Washington DC and told that it was infact transferred to the CSC. Not their office. She also suggested he keep checking on it because sometimes things just sit there and take up to 3 years to be processed--- SAYWHAT?! ... stay tuned

3.29.12- Approved, Green Card in production

4.4.12- Green Card received- NO INTERVIEW

Thank you! We really want to see the Jeff mem...capitol...white house... mall....and arlington cem. Also we wanted to go to the smithsonian and see the hope diamond.

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Buy a one day metro pass for sight seeing. As far as Hotel, what is your budget, and how do you plan to arrive in D.C. Via plane or car? Could give zillion of suggestions but would need more trip planning information to give you a better scope of what you can truly accomplish in a one-two day trip.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you do the Mall and associated monuments, be prepared for a LOT of walking.

Holding my nose and jumping off the cliff.. hope I don't hit any rocks in the water.

"All I want out of life is ice cream and cuddles. Is it too much to ask? Is it?" - Sleep Talkin' Man

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WithoutMusic-theidolhands.pngSquareOneIcon.pngMYV2avaruusvirta.pngCarmenSandiego-theidolhands.pngSuckIt-stellans.jpg

138 days from NOA1 - NOA2

14 days from CIS till NVC case number assigned.

I love the Smithsonian. Best part is it is free!

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Timeline

Metro is the way to go!!! Lot of free museums--be prepared for long waits!! And one goes through airport like security to get into many of the museums!! Just google DC museums, lot of them, all depends on ur tastes! Sign up for groupon.com one can find a lot of good deals--each day they email you a deal, some are good, some are not, and not all deals are touristy. I stay awawy from DC,lol far too many tourists,lol But keep in mind The Mall (not really a mall, lol) is full of people, and expect long lines for the museums. And there is a lot to see in each museum, one could spend a day in some of them and not really see everything!

DC metro: http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

http://www.nasm.si.edu/

http://www.ushmm.org/

http://www.newseum.org/ not free

http://www.spymuseum.org/ not free

http://www.mnh.si.edu/

http://www.crimemuseum.org/ not free

As well there are boat tours that tour the harbour and go by quite a few monuments!!

http://www.dc-cruises.com/ We did a tour with them and was fine--they also have a 1 way option, we did the whole tour, u just see the same things onthe way back,lol, but if you do the 1 way tour, save u time to see other things!!

If it were me--I would find a hotel thats close to the metro and then just use the metro to get around. DC isnt a great place for free parking.

Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Thank you! We really want to see the Jeff mem...capitol...white house... mall....and arlington cem. Also we wanted to go to the smithsonian and see the hope diamond.

Use the metro or buses. Don't drive in DC, it's very hectic and confusing.

For the Mall, you get off at the Smithsonian Metro Station that actually has 2 exits. One of them could take you very close to the Smithsonian visitor center, the other one to the Holocaust Museum-another great destination. Use the Orange line or the Blue line.

Also, if you have a little bit more time you might want to take a walk in Georgetown or even Old Town, Alexandria. For Georgetown you need to get off at Foggy Bottom metro station and then walk up M street. For Old Town Alexandria-you need to get off at King St Metro.

ps: Like other users advised - be prepared for long walks. Take some cold drinks with you and some convenient snacks unless you want to get a $5 hotdog.

Edited by juliava

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Wow.. you guys are awesome!! We are driving to DC from Missouri and then up to New York for a day... after that it will be a strait drive back. There will be 5 adults (one of whom is a very spritely 76yr old) and our daughter will be 5. I figure we will leave the car at the hotel and do the public transit thing. I want to avoid a preplanned group tour, incase we want to spend more time at one place and less at another.

The hope diamond at the smithsonian is important, my family has a rich history in diamond mining (father is mine overseer at diamond mine) and I work in a jewelry store... so thats kinda important.

Our hotel budget is around $100 per room for the night. Where is a good place for lunch?

Thank you so much for all of your replies.

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Okay, please be advise that driving distance btw DC and NYC is 4 hours. If you'll are open to suggestions for the NY trip, I have another suggestion. For Hotel at $100 a night, you'll are looking at hotels that will be at least 25 miles from DC, again this will depend on the time of year you will be arriving in DC.

The Smithsonian museum will be doable, but only plan on being able to see 2 to 3 museums per day (long lines and lots of people.

But for your 76 year young grandmother, this will be a long and tiring day, Hotel will not be close by.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Another suggestion is why don't you have parents and grandmother from SA, to fly into DC from SA, that way it would only be mileage by car for them in going back to Missouri.

I thought about that.. but they want to see missouri as well. They are going to be here for 2 weeks, and Ive alloted 1 of those weeks to this trip. My Gramma is the whole reason we are going on this trip.. for as long as I can remember she has always talked of going to see the statue of liberty. So when they decided to come out and visit us here in the US.. it was sort of a given that we had to go up to NYC.. Ive always wanted to go to DC.

We will be there over the 4th of July (3-5) and then up to NY for the 6th... and then straight through back to MO with my hubby and I alternating the driving.

Thank you all for all your advice and tips, its sooo much easier to plan all of this now!

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

4th of July! Good luck, DC will be a zoo!!!! I'm so glad I will be far away in Rhode Island!! Be prepared to wait and wait, and ensure everyone stays hydrated!!! And keep in mind older people need rest,lol. I have ben told DC has pretty good fireworks, I have actually never been here for the 4th,always in RI! Enjoy

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I went to DC a few months ago (during the Cherry Blossom festival) and I absolutely loved it! I paid to take one of the double decker bus tours, and it was amazing! You can just hop on and off wherever you want to and then spend your time there, and then go back on and head to the next stop. I saw everything I wanted to see, and got plenty of pictures. My only regret was that I forgot my sunblock! I looked like a tomato afterwards! I don't really have any recommendations for hotels, because mine was completely paid for through school (that's who I went with). I hope you have a lot of fun!! (Sorry I'm not more help, lol)

- Tiffanney & Matthew -

K1 VISA: 09/11/09 - 08/10/10

MARRIED: 10/10/10
AOS/EAD/AP: 02/22/11 - 05/04/11

ROC
04/04/13: Mailed off!

04/09/13: NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

We live just south of DC...so I concur with all the advice above. For sight seeing, i recommend doing the "tour mobile" you can google it. You stop and hang as long as you wish at each site...then hop on a bus when you want to continue your tour. Metro is best for transportation as well...trust me, you do not want to drive in DC. I would definitely take the time to familiarize yourself with the Metro system maps as well prior to your ventures out and about.

as for logding...stay in Springfield, VA. it's close to metro and still far enough outside the "beltway" to be more reasonably priced. Feel free to message me for any other specific details you'd like...I work in DC and have lived in this area since 2001. :) :) I'd be happy to assist!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.