Europeanboy

I was charged with criminal traffic citation but NOT CONVICTED. What should I do?

7 posts in this topic

Last year I was called in Court based on Citation for my license plate. I forgot to place the yellow registration sticker on my registration plate that’s why the Court was trying to charge me with FORGE, ALTER LICENSE PLATE VALIDATION STICKER, CERTIFICATE /Yes, it sounds ridiculous knowing the fact that they can easily check in the system and find out that all my registration are current. I had just got the new sticker which was in my car/.

After appearing in Court and presenting my registration sticker together with the registration plate taken off my car and a proof of insurance all the charges were DISMISSED and It was entered Nolle Prosequi on Count. But still when I go online on clerk of courts it says criminal traffic on my record that is disposed.

Question 17 on N-400 I will answer that I was charged but not convicted explaining everything on a separate piece of paper. The charges were dismissed and also show that my arrest record is clean together with court certifited copies of the citation.

How about question 16? I have been given traffic citations for speeding and other non-criminal violations including the criminal one but I have NEVER been arrested or detained by law enforcement or INS/USCIS officer. Should I also answer YES on Question 16?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

If the case was dismissed then you were never convicted of anything. However, I do not know the exact questions for #'s 16 & 17. If the question asks if you have ever been arrested, according to what you stated the answer is a simple NO! If asked if convicted, the answer is also a simple NO. If it asks, if you were ever charged with a crime, then this is a different storry for the answer would be YES. If you have the disposition from the court, it should state dismissed or similar! Be sure to have the disposition for you might need it although they should know the outcome.

Question 16: The question says: HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ARRESTED, CITED OR DETAINED BY ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (INCLUDING USCIS/FORMER INS OFFICER) FOR ANY REASON? Yes, I have been cited for speeding and for my license plate that turned out to be criminal even though the traffic/ticket citation was saying THAT I DON'T need to appear in court but I have been never arrested or detained.

Question 17 asks If I was ever been charged? Yes, but not convicted

So should I answer NO on Q16 cause I am explaining the whole citation story in Q17?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Question 16: The question says: HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ARRESTED, CITED OR DETAINED BY ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (INCLUDING USCIS/FORMER INS OFFICER) FOR ANY REASON? Yes, I have been cited for speeding and for my license plate that turned out to be criminal even though the traffic/ticket citation was saying THAT I DON'T need to appear in court but I have been never arrested or detained.

Question 17 asks If I was ever been charged? Yes, but not convicted

So should I answer NO on Q16 cause I am explaining the whole citation story in Q17?

In the OP's case the CITED aspect will pertain to him but shouldn't the citation be $500 or more to be listed on the application?

In the OP's case the CITED aspect will pertain to him but shouldn't the citation be $500 or more to be listed on the application?

I did not pay $500. I actually don't think I paid anything because the charges were dismissed when I went to court and I showed them the actual license plate taken off my car and my registration with the yellow sticker still on it they felt so stupid for calling me for something that they can actually check that is valid. If forgetting to place a registration sticker is a criminal action...

Filed: Timeline

If you were cited, you answer yes to both questions, and should ask the court for a copy of the final disposition of your case. In the remarks section, explain both yes answers.

Edited by Some Old Guy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.