MishaMoose

Columbus Ohio

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

For a native English speaker, it's harder than German or Dutch, but easier than Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, etc.

Ooooooh :/

lol...thanks for the reply :)

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I don't think that adding the curse words into your speech is a good idea (at least until you make sure that people you communicate with use them). Plus it just sounds ridiculous when a non-native Russian speaker says them.

I must say I have found one or two to be very usuful playing russian billiards. Along with taaaaaaaaaaak and pachimoo. It's a great game but I am quite suspicious that it was purposely designed to frustrate non-russians :lol:

Most of my friends there speak moderate amounts of english and tell me they find english curse words to be fairly useful.

Now I just need to learn "No, really that is what I meant to do that" in russian and in a convincing manner.

Edited by Misha and Zhenya

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I know ' blat' because Slim says his wife says that alot

Edited by tmma

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I must say I have found one or two to be very usuful playing russian billiards. Along with taaaaaaaaaaak and pachimoo. It's a great game but I am quite suspicious that it was purposely designed to frustrate non-russians :lol:

Most of my friends there speak moderate amounts of english and tell me they find english curse words to be fairly useful.

Now I just need to learn "No, really that is what I meant to do that" in russian and in a convincing manner.

I think they're necessary to know, unless you spend all your time with high-class (not high-class as in rich but... classy), cultured people (aka boring people!). But until you move from znakomiy to drug... better to leave it alone. Just know so you can understand.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

I think they're necessary to know, unless you spend all your time with high-class (not high-class as in rich but... classy), cultured people (aka boring people!). But until you move from znakomiy to drug... better to leave it alone. Just know so you can understand.

Excellent advice I think. Russian seems to be at least as rich in scatological terms as english. Although this is primarily based on hearsay evidence :innocent:

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Saying Russian mat is as least as rich as cursing is English is a downright insult. I get made fun of all the time for how weaksauce cursing in English is in comparison.

We don't have a 12-volume dictionary of English swear words: http://plutser.ru/mat

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Saying Russian mat is as least as rich as cursing is English is a downright insult. I get made fun of all the time for how weaksauce cursing in English is in comparison.

We don't have a 12-volume dictionary of English swear words: http://plutser.ru/mat

:wow: I stand corrected! :D I think my drill intructors in Marine boot camp all those eons ago might have need 5 or 6 volumes .. but not 12!

Rich language indeed!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yup, I'd said before I was boring :lol:

And yes, that's why I said that people should make sure that the person they're talking to doesn't mind mat before starting to use it. Cause me and my friends don't use it unless we're really mad, surprised, upset or if it's just a part of a story. I never use it talking to my parents, older people and people I don't know very well. So if a person I haven't known for a long time would use it, I would not like it.

I feel a lot more freedom in using English curse words though.... maybe that happens cause English isn't my native language, so all the curse words don't seem real :lol: or at least not as strong as Russian ones.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

I found Dutch incredibly hard to learn to speak,

I work for a Dutch company and when the big guys come in and yap on their cell phones, I "almost" understand it. Like German, many of the words are "close enough" to English that they can be understood. I kind of think of it as "relaxing" my tuning and getting the gist of the words/phrases. I don't understand a whole lot, but I can get enough to catch a word here and there and that's enough to work.

For a native English speaker, it's harder than German or Dutch, but easier than Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, etc.

I found Korean to be easier than Russian because it's such a simple language. However, for most English speakers Russian probably would be easier since it's "European" moreso than "Asian." And by that I mean Asian languages have a lot of emphasis on honorifics and titles, etc. Russian uses dimunitives quite a bit but that's not necessarily a "rule" that has to be learned. In Asian languages, you better talk at the right level!

Saying Russian mat is as least as rich as cursing is English is a downright insult.

My wife on the phone back to Russia would make a sailor blush. Every other word is mat. For someone who's a "most high and cultured, sophisticated lady" (her self-description) she sure does use a lot of bad words.

And yes, that's why I said that people should make sure that the person they're talking to doesn't mind mat before starting to use it.

I had a Russian girlfriend who was appalled when I used some choice words to describe our "interactions." She said, "Who teach you these words?" I didn't tell her exactly whom it was, but in fact, it was my wife who'd broadened my vocabulary a few years prior to this nice lady.

That just about sums it up as to why I married my wife and not the one that was so sensitive!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

I had a Russian girlfriend who was appalled when I used some choice words to describe our "interactions." She said, "Who teach you these words?" I didn't tell her exactly whom it was, but in fact, it was my wife who'd broadened my vocabulary a few years prior to this nice lady.

That just about sums it up as to why I married my wife and not the one that was so sensitive!

To each his own. That's not about being sensitive though, it's more about up-bringing. My parents are extremely strict, they would punish me and my brother for caling each other names like "durak/dura", which aren't even curse words, so there is just no way I'm going to be too liberal about using Russian mat.

I did teach my fiance some curse words though, but just for fun. That's what Russian people do - we teach foreigners some curse or slang words or stupid phrases and then watch them using those words and phrases. Might be fun sometimes :yes:

I work for a Dutch company and when the big guys come in and yap on their cell phones, I "almost" understand it. Like German, many of the words are "close enough" to English that they can be understood. I kind of think of it as "relaxing" my tuning and getting the gist of the words/phrases. I don't understand a whole lot, but I can get enough to catch a word here and there and that's enough to work.

germaniclanguages3oo.gif

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

germaniclanguages3oo.gif

Why are you doing this to me? :rofl:

I'm graduating July 1st, I kind of hoped I'm never going to see any of those things again... ugh!...

To each his own. That's not about being sensitive though, it's more about up-bringing. My parents are extremely strict, they would punish me and my brother for caling each other names like "durak/dura", which aren't even curse words, so there is just no way I'm going to be too liberal about using Russian mat.

I did teach my fiance some curse words though, but just for fun. That's what Russian people do - we teach foreigners some curse or slang words or stupid phrases and then watch them using those words and phrases. Might be fun sometimes :yes:

Durak is another word I hear often.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Durak is another word I hear often.

That's one of the 1st Russian words my fiance learned :whistle:

I always get surprised how much easier it is to memorize 'bad' words and slang :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.