Danno

Racial Violence Has Not Made It Into the Conversation about Race

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I agree with most of your thoughts.

I would point out my larger points are

- There seems to be a fear of reporting or even talking about this issue of crime and public incidents which comes largely from the Black youth culture.

You have stated this, certainly. I've yet to see any actual proof offered in support of it.

Again I attribute it more to a culture than race because.... there have been blacks in this country a long time and we have no prior history of this evolving problem.

I speculate it has a lot to do with A. the destruction of the two parent family in the black community and B. Black pop culture calibrates aggression, dominance, violence and the unrestrained attitude.

The problem here is that you are attributing anti-social behaviours to internal factors exclusively. Certainly a person's upbringing and background is going to affect how they turn out, however... People do not live in a vaccuum and what goes on "internally" in a community (if the term "community" actually applies to say deprived urban areas) tends to be mirrored by what happens externally - with regards to things like, say, education and employment. There is a temptation to pin the blame on individuals without bothering to attempt to understand the larger issues that create social trends. Economic inequality is a big one - and there is correlation between say poverty and crime. It is also a fact, that you are statistically more likely to experience poverty if you are black than if you are white.

Yes, race politics is indeed more about social class than anything - however, this is in large part due to the legacy of Americas past. If it weren't for racists in the 16th - 19th centuries, I dare say that America would be a rather different place to how it is today.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You have stated this, certainly. I've yet to see any actual proof offered in support of it.

The problem here is that you are attributing anti-social behaviours to internal factors exclusively. Certainly a person's upbringing and background is going to affect how they turn out, however... People do not live in a vaccuum and what goes on "internally" in a community (if the term "community" actually applies to say deprived urban areas) tends to be mirrored by what happens externally - with regards to things like, say, education and employment. There is a temptation to pin the blame on individuals without bothering to attempt to understand the larger issues that create social trends. Economic inequality is a big one - and there is correlation between say poverty and crime. It is also a fact, that you are statistically more likely to experience poverty if you are black than if you are white.

Yes, race politics is indeed more about social class than anything - however, this is in large part due to the legacy of Americas past. If it weren't for racists in the 16th - 19th centuries, I dare say that America would be a rather different place to how it is today.

It would be more like where?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

It would be more like where?

Probably something with less racists preoccupied with the race of hooligans doing stupid things on the street and more thoughtful of avoiding those kinds of crime in the first place.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Probably something with less racists preoccupied with the race of hooligans doing stupid things on the street and more thoughtful of avoiding those kinds of crime in the first place.

and where exactly did you say that was?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

and where exactly did you say that was?

I didn't. We can only hope with less people like you (as per your own assertions) in the future, things will get better, though.