5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks in advance to all. We just got the NOA for our interview on 5 July in Tampa Florida and we have several questions/concerns. We submitted our AOS application in mid February and it seems to have taken an unusal journey from what we have read here. Or maybe we are just becoming cynical after all these months of uncertanity. The below explains it in order.

1. 2/14/11 sent I-485 to Chicago Lock Box

2. 3/15/11 received reciept NOA from National Benifits Center stating they had received it on 2/22.

3. 3/23/11 received NOA from National Benifits Center stating they had transferred application to California for processing.

4. 4/5/11 recieved NOA for Biometrics in Tampa Fl - completed Biometrics on 5/3/11

5. 5/17/11 received NOA from California stating that they had transferred it back to the National Benifits Center because they

had jurisdiction over the case?

6. Received an NOA today from National Benifits Center setting an interview appointment for 5 July in Tampa.

Q. Can anybody share if all these transfers are normal?

Q. The notice provided a list of items to bring and one of them is joint bank accounts. Bank of America will not allow us to

add my wife to my account because they say it is illegal unless she has a SSAN and Green Card. Social Security will not give

her a SSAN without a Green Card. Does anyone know where we could open a joint account? She does have an ITIN from where we

filed joint taxes this year.

Thanks greatly to anyone who takes the time to read this.

Up to two weeks before the I-94 expires your fiancee/wife is eligible for a SSN dispite what the SSA people say. I am now worried that you have opened a big can of worms by applying for an ITIN when your fiancee/wife was eligible for a SSN. An ITIN is for people not eligible for a SSN and I am afraid it MAY come back to bite you in the future--it may not. One thing I have learned in dealing with my Mother's estate is that people at banks follow a script no mater whether your case fits that script or not. All you need is a SSN for a bank account and another form of ID--like a passport (even foreign). What does BoA expect those students here on student visas with a valid SSN but no GC to do--go to another bank?

It sounds like they transfered it to the CSC but for some reason transfered it back and you are going to have an interview. I've noticed lately that most people are having interviews rather than CSC approving the AOS. Maybe it is a way for CSC to reduce its workload so it can process K-1s and CR-1s and get those processing times down. I would not worry too much about the interview as you have not been married for very long. At our interview it was close to our 5 month anniversy and all the IO did was confirm the information on the application using a red pen. She then told us that in two years we will have to apply to have the conditions removed. Did not look at any of the information we took in other than to keepanother copy of our marriage license after I showed her the original. GC arrived today. So we are done with USCIS for 640 days. I am so happy.

Good luck on your interview.

Dave

I was able to add my spouse to multiple Bank of America accounts without a GC and without a SSN. Ask to speak to a bank manager and tell them you want add a "non-resident alien" to your accounts. You will need a foreign address as they will ask for it. This foreign address is a profile address and is needed for their system only, no mail will go there (as explained to me .by the bank manager). The individual accounts are associated with our current US address and all correspondence are sent sent to the US address. The manager then explained, once my spouse has a GC, we need to come back to the bank and have them change the "non-resident alien" status to "resident alien" status. This will allow them to enter a US address in the profile. The SSN is required once the status is changed to "resident alien".

ROC

01 May 2013 - Received ROC reminder letter

22 Jul 2013 - Mailed I-751 via USPS Priority Mail

24 Jul 2013 - NOA1 date

27 Jul 2013 - Received NOA1

03 Aug 2013 - Received Biometrics letter

20 Aug 2013 - Biometrics appointment

19 Sep 2013 - Approved

24 Sep 2013 - Received NOA2

09 Oct 2013 - Received GC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks in advance to all. We just got the NOA for our interview on 5 July in Tampa Florida and we have several questions/concerns. We submitted our AOS application in mid February and it seems to have taken an unusal journey from what we have read here. Or maybe we are just becoming cynical after all these months of uncertanity. The below explains it in order.

2. 3/15/11 received reciept NOA from National Benifits Center stating they had received it on 2/22.

3. 3/23/11 received NOA from National Benifits Center stating they had transferred application to California for processing.

4. 4/5/11 recieved NOA for Biometrics in Tampa Fl - completed Biometrics on 5/3/11

5. 5/17/11 received NOA from California stating that they had transferred it back to the National Benifits Center because they

6. Received an NOA today from National Benifits Center setting an interview appointment for 5 July in Tampa.

Q. The notice provided a list of items to bring and one of them is joint bank accounts. Bank of America will not allow us to

add my wife to my account because they say it is illegal unless she has a SSAN and Green Card. Social Security will not give

her a SSAN without a Green Card. Does anyone know where we could open a joint account? She does have an ITIN from where we

I do not know about 'normal', but it happened in our case. We were initially transferred to CSC, then transferred back and sent an interview notice letter. We spent time gathering and putting together as much evidence as we possibly could. The interview lasted 5 minutes, and we were asked for none of the evidence and photos we brought with us. It is better to have it if asked for it though, than to not have it and be asked.

My credit union would not add my husband to my account without him having a green card, period. They did allow us to open another "joint" savings account though, which we did not need and will be closing now that he has his green card. They made me primary, and just added him onto the account, so it was not really joint. They also would not allow ATM cards or online banking with it. It was hard to find a document for them to print off that showed both our names on it, as only mine appeared on all the deposit slips and bank statements. Anyway, see if your bank will allow a joint savings account, with no checking on it. The checking account seemed to be the problem at my bank.

Hope your interview goes quickly and smoothly. Good luck!

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Two days after moving back to the States, DH and I went to BOA to set up a joint account. They never gave us any trouble about him not having a ssn or anything of the sort. I would say definitely go back to BOA and request to speak with a new rep because they can absolutely give you a joint account without the spouse having a ssn (they cannot however get a credit card).

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent :------------------2010-07-28

I-129F NOA1 :----------------2010-08-05

Transferred to CSC:--------2010-08-10

I-129F NOA2 :----------------2011-01-04

NVC Left :----------------------2011-01-19

Consulate Received :------2011-01-25

Packet 3 Received :---------2011-01-27

Packet 3 Sent :---------------2011-01-27

Packet 4 Received :---------2011-02-17

Interview Date :---------------2011-02-24

Visa Received :---------------2011-03-07

Flight: March 10th 2011!

Married: March 22nd 2011!

AOS

AOS Packet sent :------------2011-04-28

NOA1 :---------------------------2011-05-04

I-485 RFE :---------------------2011-05-16

Biometrics letter : ------------2011-05-23

Biometrics Walk-In :---------2011-05-26

RFE Response :--------------2011-05-31

Transferred to CSC :--------2011-06-14

EAD Approved :---------------2011-06-24

AP Approved :-----------------2011-06-28

EAD / AP Received :--------2011-07-02

AOS Approved :---------------2011-08-04

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.