mayraandme

Interview Date? Who sets it? NVC or Embassy?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Alibaba--

You are correct that every consulate is different--some want the spouse there, some don't, and some leave it up to the married couple--this is definitely not a one size fits all situation, and everyone should check with the individual consulates before making travel plans

I would not take that chance if the interview is in Bogota. I have read a lot of interview reviews and it seems like without both at the interview, you stand a much more difficult time getting approved. Even in my own experience, last year I did a fiancee visa for my now wife (long story), but the first interview I did not come with her because I wanted to come the following week and travel with her to the States for the first time. Well, all our papers were in order, lots of supporting evidence, and they asked us to both return for a following interview, "just because". When I went with her to the second interview, it seemed like every woman who was there un-accompanied got denied. the couples all got approved from what I saw. In our case it took about 2 minutes of questioning to get approved.

In Peru also. There is a guy posting on another forum who did not attend because it specifically stated that they did not want spouses to attend. But she failed the interview and they needed to return as a couple. Even though all paperwork was in order. And another guy on the forum with a Peruvian wife stated the same thing happened to him several years prior.

I am not taking any chances on it. I am going for sure.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I can only speak about embassy interviews in Russia. But I don't think the process varies much. The NVC sends the paperwork ( both physical and electronic) to the appropriate embassy. They in turn send the fiancee, the applicant not the petitioner, a form called packet 2 ( or 3..I forget but the number does not matter). This form spells out all the required documents need for the interview. AFTER they receive back this checklist they will schedule an interview. It does not necessarily go in any kind of sequence, number wise. It depends when the info is received. Once a date is set, another packet is sent out with the notification of the date. I would highly suggest you go as a couple. The worst case is that you will just sit outside for awhile. Best case it shows a strong bond between you and may make things go easier.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I can only speak about embassy interviews in Russia. But I don't think the process varies much. The NVC sends the paperwork ( both physical and electronic) to the appropriate embassy. They in turn send the fiancee, the applicant not the petitioner, a form called packet 2 ( or 3..I forget but the number does not matter). This form spells out all the required documents need for the interview. AFTER they receive back this checklist they will schedule an interview. It does not necessarily go in any kind of sequence, number wise. It depends when the info is received. Once a date is set, another packet is sent out with the notification of the date. I would highly suggest you go as a couple. The worst case is that you will just sit outside for awhile. Best case it shows a strong bond between you and may make things go easier.

Ooops. Sorry. This was for a K1 visa. I see know that this does not apply to you.

Typically the Embassy will tell the NVC how many slots they have open for any given month, and for IR1/CR1, the NVC will then schedule the interview accordingly. At least that is the way it works in Manila.

NATURALIZATION

02/25/2014 - Eligibility date.

03/03/2014 - N-400 package mailed.

03/11/2014 - Check cashed.

03/14/2014 - NOA received.

04/09/2014 - Biometrics.

04/28/2014 - In-Line for Interview - 6 hours later Interview Scheduled!!

05/02/2014 - Interview Letter received. (Mailed on 29 April)

05/26/2014 - 3 year anniversary.

06/02/2014 - Interview. PASSED!

09/11/2014 - Oath Ceremony.

09/16/2014 - Updated driver licence and registered to vote.

10/08/2014 - Updated Social Security

10/14/2014 - Applied for U.S. Passport

10/27/2014 - U.S. Passport arrived in mail (13 days - DID NOT expedite)

10/30/2014 - Naturalization Certificate arrived in mail (was not folded)

MY IMMIGRATION JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY FINISHED!!

For a CR1 visa NVC sets the interview date.

Check out my "About Me" tab on my profile to learn about my detailed timeline with the K-1 Visa and AOS process....

Live life, Laugh lots, Love forever.....

• 4 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Good afternoon to all

I’m new in this forum but , mi previous forum “Colombians con cr-1” was great. I was able to complete the applications for my family. ( three petitions ) . Our petition consists of my Colombian Wife “from Cali and 2 children. The girl, is 18 years old (we got married before she turn 18 – and the petition was submitted at the same time before her birthday) The boy is 12 therefore he will be US citizen once he enter to Miami.

Completing this petition was not simple , due to the amount of information that was required to put the case together and the worst part was that few times legal documents were lost or not good enough for the USCIS and NVC.

Now we are entering into a new labyrinth with the NVC and the American Embassy in Bogota. Mi first encounter was this afternoon with the NVC. I called them to let them know that this is a family petition and the three cases should be have the same interview date. The cases were completed this week and during our phone conversation, the officer said that I need to wait until the 15 of October (another two weeks) to know the interview day.

Furthermore I explain my concern about the interview date for (all three at the same time -Mother and children) and her answer was very “flat” the interview dates depends the embassy in Bogota not to NVC. She did not understand my point of having the interview together , the live in Cali , I live in Miami , that means three different trips to Bogota. If they do not program the interview for the same date this separate process is going to cost us a lot of money and time. I do not know if this is a something important for NVC or not ?

Does anybody know what can I do to request the interview date for the same day at the embassy ,

Thank you for your advise

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.