PAGE 11

Singapore Police Clearance - Update after my interview

6 posts in this topic

I am posting this for all those who need a Singapore Police Clearance for their embassy interview.

I worked in Singapore for 5 years, and as we know, a police clearance is required for all applicants who have lived overseas for more than 6 months. But since October 2010, the Singapore Police Force have stopped issuing this clearance to non-Singaporeans, except on appeal. The notification is posted on their website.

http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/cert_issued.htm

Yesterday, I had my interview at the US embassy Manila. There are 2 interviews -- 1 by a Filipino staffer who puts together all the documents you need to submit (affidavit of support, DS forms, etc) and asks preliminary questions. The second and final interview is done by a US consular officer. Both of them asked me which countries I had ever worked in outside the Philippines. I told them Indonesia and Singapore. Both of them were aware that the Singapore Police Clearance is no longer available, and they did not ask me for it.

It seems this information has been disseminated to all embassy staff. But I would suggest you bring a copy of the notification from the SPF website in case anyone you speak to is in doubt.

Good luck!

Dec 05, 2011: Received U.S. permanent resident status (AOS based on K-1 visa)

Dec 16, 2013: Removal of conditions on green card

Apr 28, 2015: Became a U.S. Citizen

• 1 year later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Really, thank you for posting this. My wife is going to have to do this soon and that was our biggest fear. I am deployed and wanted her to be there when I get home and get deployed again, but we would have had to wait however long it took for that if that was going to happen. Even with expedited process the delay would have been with that form. Very much appreciated to know this.

06JUN12 - Forms Received by the office

07JUN12 - NOA1 Received

08JUN12 - Peek

27JUN12 - Called office to check on acceptance I-797

05AUG12 - Called about information on expedited process

06AUG12 - Submitted form for expedited process

06AUG12 - Got a notification that they needed evidence

06AUG12 - Sent evidence to the fax number provided

07AUG12 - Got a notice that evidence has not been submitted yet

07AUG12 - Called office and was told to resubmit, did so to the same fax number

08AUG12 - Still no status on approval or denial of expedite process.

09AUG12 - Called office and they said wait 15 days before calling to find out about missing RFE in mail.

27AUG12 - NAO2 Received

30AUG12 - NVC Received Package

04SEP12 - NVC Gave us MNL and Case Number

10OCT12 - Singapore Clearance sent to Embassy

19OCT12 - Interview Date ( approved )

21OCT12 - Missing Singapore clearance

20NOV12 - Visa Complete and printed at 2GO

20NOV12 - Tickets purchased

21NOV12 - Arrival in San Diego, CA

04DEC12 - Marriage!!!!

Really, thank you for posting this. My wife is going to have to do this soon and that was our biggest fear. I am deployed and wanted her to be there when I get home and get deployed again, but we would have had to wait however long it took for that if that was going to happen. Even with expedited process the delay would have been with that form. Very much appreciated to know this.

This is an older thread with outdated information. Since about January 2012 the U.S. embassy in Manila seems to been consistently requiring the COC for those who were in Singapore. Here are some more recent threads:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/348402-singapore-police-clearance-2012/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/377800-interview-scheduled-but-no-word-on-singapore-police-certificate-requirement/

Assuming your wife needs the COC from Singapore it would be better for her to start trying to get it now so that hopefully you can meet your deadline. I think some have been successful with a letter from NVC and others have gone to the embassy in Manila to get a letter and used that to obtain the COC. On average it sounds like the process takes less than a month.

There are a few other more recent threads on the matter if you want more information. Just type "Singapore Police Clearance" in the search and make sure to only pay attention to the ones from this year.

Given that time is a concern for you I would suggest trying to obtain this before the interview. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is an older thread with outdated information. Since about January 2012 the U.S. embassy in Manila seems to been consistently requiring the COC for those who were in Singapore. Here are some more recent threads:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/348402-singapore-police-clearance-2012/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/377800-interview-scheduled-but-no-word-on-singapore-police-certificate-requirement/

Assuming your wife needs the COC from Singapore it would be better for her to start trying to get it now so that hopefully you can meet your deadline. I think some have been successful with a letter from NVC and others have gone to the embassy in Manila to get a letter and used that to obtain the COC. On average it sounds like the process takes less than a month.

There are a few other more recent threads on the matter if you want more information. Just type "Singapore Police Clearance" in the search and make sure to only pay attention to the ones from this year.

Given that time is a concern for you I would suggest trying to obtain this before the interview. Good luck.

Thank you for the response.

Does anybody have any clear guidance on what to do? My fiance is going to Singapore in a week for vacation and if she can get something taken care of while there that would be great. The Singapore website says you can request one while there... but you must have documentation proving that a governing body is asking for the information. I figured our application and the process requesting it would be sufficient but I am not certain on this.

Lastly, we also heard that some people were able to rush their clearance by simply going directly to the embassy ( japan and us embassy request ). My fiance was able to do this with the japan location and they were very helpful... but when she went to the US Embassy the lady at the counter was rude and told her that without the NAO2 that they wouldnt process anything; which my fiance ended up calling me in the bathroom crying. I was very upset at this and asked her if she got the ladies name... my fiance did not. I tried to get my fiance to go there again but the drive there is a very long and and very expensive for her... and all for her to get treated poorly by the clerk.

I am trying my best to help her get this process resolved so that we are not waiting an extra month or so after we get the NAO2 for another clearance from Singapore. There is only so much I can do while deployed and this process is proving to be more than taxing on all parties involved. Any help would be much appreciated.

06JUN12 - Forms Received by the office

07JUN12 - NOA1 Received

08JUN12 - Peek

27JUN12 - Called office to check on acceptance I-797

05AUG12 - Called about information on expedited process

06AUG12 - Submitted form for expedited process

06AUG12 - Got a notification that they needed evidence

06AUG12 - Sent evidence to the fax number provided

07AUG12 - Got a notice that evidence has not been submitted yet

07AUG12 - Called office and was told to resubmit, did so to the same fax number

08AUG12 - Still no status on approval or denial of expedite process.

09AUG12 - Called office and they said wait 15 days before calling to find out about missing RFE in mail.

27AUG12 - NAO2 Received

30AUG12 - NVC Received Package

04SEP12 - NVC Gave us MNL and Case Number

10OCT12 - Singapore Clearance sent to Embassy

19OCT12 - Interview Date ( approved )

21OCT12 - Missing Singapore clearance

20NOV12 - Visa Complete and printed at 2GO

20NOV12 - Tickets purchased

21NOV12 - Arrival in San Diego, CA

04DEC12 - Marriage!!!!

Thank you for the response.

Does anybody have any clear guidance on what to do? My fiance is going to Singapore in a week for vacation and if she can get something taken care of while there that would be great. The Singapore website says you can request one while there... but you must have documentation proving that a governing body is asking for the information. I figured our application and the process requesting it would be sufficient but I am not certain on this.

Lastly, we also heard that some people were able to rush their clearance by simply going directly to the embassy ( japan and us embassy request ). My fiance was able to do this with the japan location and they were very helpful... but when she went to the US Embassy the lady at the counter was rude and told her that without the NAO2 that they wouldnt process anything; which my fiance ended up calling me in the bathroom crying. I was very upset at this and asked her if she got the ladies name... my fiance did not. I tried to get my fiance to go there again but the drive there is a very long and and very expensive for her... and all for her to get treated poorly by the clerk.

I am trying my best to help her get this process resolved so that we are not waiting an extra month or so after we get the NAO2 for another clearance from Singapore. There is only so much I can do while deployed and this process is proving to be more than taxing on all parties involved. Any help would be much appreciated.

Just in case you don't get any other responses I think this post may help. I believe sonicgihad was in and out of singapore during this process and there might be some other useful information in there as well. However I think your fiancee will still need some sort of official document before she can move forward with Singapore. Sorry she had such an unpleasant experience at the US embassy. I'm sure that was a bit disheartening for her. She can always try with the paperwork you do have once in Singapore but she should be prepared for a similar situation :(

Looking at your timeline I think the fact that you got an RFE right after your request for expedite is a good sign that once that is resolved the expedite and petition will be approved. It might be worth your while to start your own thread with all the specifics of your case so people can help. Especially concerning the lost RFE and that fact you are requesting an expedite due to deployment. There are other members on here who have had an expedite approved due to deployment and might be able to offer some helpful advice.

I really hope you can get this sorted out in time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.