zig2101

Interview Scheduled but no word on Singapore Police Certificate requirement

10 posts in this topic

I just received an email from the NVC that my wife's visa interview has been scheduled at the US Embassy in Singapore. The Singapore police certificate was marked as "U" (The applicant has informed the NVC that the required document is unavailable). Will I still need the Singapore police certificate for the interview? The NVC did not give a letter of request for the police certificate from Singapore but now that the case has moved on the US Embassy should they be able to provide one?

I understand that on Singapore's reciprocity page (http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9732#docs) it says that the police certificate is available but the process involved to get it is confusing and unclear, while in an email from the NVC, they even stated

Police Certificate for Singapore:

Singapore Police Certificates are unavailable to applicants who are nationals of any country other than Singapore;

So now I'm unsure whether the Singapore Police Certificate is actually required or not...

anyone with any similar experiences out there?

thanks,

Reuben

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

i have the same question :( but i email the "SPF CID COC (SPF)" <SPF_CID_COC@spf.gov.sg> about how are we going to get a COC and will they give us a Police clearance... this is what they told me :

Dear Sir/Mdm

I refer to your preceding e-mail of 9 July 2012.

Please be informed that The Singapore Police Force has cease issuing the Certificate of Conduct (COC) to non-Singapore Citizens with effect from 18 Oct 2010.

However, you are allowed to submit an appeal for COC for Head Criminal Records consideration.

Please take note that appeal will take around 10 working days to process. We will notify you the outcome of the appeal and the documents to be sent for processing the application. Alternately, you may check the status for appeal after 10 working days.

Attached is the appeal form for you to fill in and revert to us via this e-mail with:

1. Photocopy of documentary proof to establish your period of stay in Singapore for a continuous period of six months or more. (E.g.work permit identification card, testimonial letter from school or employer, arrival & departure endorsement in passport etc).

2. Official letter from US authority requesting for police clearance.

Upon completion of Certificate of Clearance, we will be mailed it directly to the requesting authority via registered mail.

Payment can be made by bank draft from Bank of the Philippine Island.

Should you require further assistance or clarification, please contact the Certificate of Clearance (COC)/Records Office at telephone numbers (+65) 64358275 (+65) 64358277) or (+65) 65573985.

Yours sincerely

Veronica Lim

for Head Criminal Records

Criminal Investigation Department

COC Office

they also attached this two forms :

APPEAL APPLICATION FORM:

http://www.google.com.ph/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cic.gc.ca%2Fenglish%2Fresources%2Fmanuals%2Fbulletins%2F2011%2F341-appeal-e.pdf&ei=tvYAUOm1PPHPmAX0vfTrCQ&usg=AFQjCNH_-DigJEftl6TdLEQ9SHne9172EQ&sig2=Op5qScEJ8q0faLnsUxTxMw

Application form for Non Singapore Citizen

www.spf.gov.sg/faqs/doc/coc_appform.pdf

as for me, i guess you need to ask a request form to the USEM here in Philippines, since u already have the case # in manila. Few of the Filipinas who went to SG were not asked about the COC during their interview but some did :(, maybe some consul are already aware that not all can be given, it depends. thats why it bothers me a lot if i still need to get or not, since it's not easy to have a COC, singapore is very strict. :( hope you can also help me and inform me after your wife is done having her interview. how long is your wife working in SG?

585nbjc5r.png

Hi there!...your wife needs to verify it in US embassy in Singapore,to avoid delays...i was once have that experienced since i worked in Kuwait and Singapore. It's very confusing and frustrating it say's that both countries do not issue for non citizen.so,what i did i went to US embassy in Manila to clarify it,finally the lady i talked to,say that i don't need to provide one in Kuwait they know that it's impossible to get the PC there.But they do need from Singapore so they give me a Request letter with my name,address and manila case number on it.btw,it's a Request letter not a Request form...Best of luck on your journey....God bless!

Our Journey Together,Forever...

June 04 Detroit(POE)

June 15 Wedding "Blessed Day!" thank God!

July 13'12 Appointment Civil Surgeon

Adjustment Of Status

July 18'12 Send my application for AOS

July 20'12 USPS delivered my docs. to USCIS Chicago,IL

July 23'12 USCIS received Application(Priority date)

July 26'12 Check cash out/got txt@email,received my application

July 30'12 received mail NOA1(AOS/EAD/AP)

Aug.22'12 Biometrics done(Detroit,MI)

Sept.19 USCIS mailed a noticed they approved my Travel Docs.

Sept.20 EAD card on production(approved in 60 days!)

Sept.25 USPS pick up mail from USCIS(EAD card on the way!)

Sept.27 EAD card received.

Sept 28 went to SSOffice for name change on SSN card.

Oct 05'12 Got my new SSN card.

April 16'13 USCIS emailed Case Status:Card/Document Production.

April 20'13 Recieved mail from USCIS welcome notice.

April 22'13 USCIS email that USPS picked up mail containing my GC.

April 25'13 Green Card on hand,finally!...

i have the same question :( but i email the "SPF CID COC (SPF)" <SPF_CID_COC@spf.gov.sg> about how are we going to get a COC and will they give us a Police clearance... this is what they told me :

Dear Sir/Mdm

I refer to your preceding e-mail of 9 July 2012.

Please be informed that The Singapore Police Force has cease issuing the Certificate of Conduct (COC) to non-Singapore Citizens with effect from 18 Oct 2010.

However, you are allowed to submit an appeal for COC for Head Criminal Records consideration.

Please take note that appeal will take around 10 working days to process. We will notify you the outcome of the appeal and the documents to be sent for processing the application. Alternately, you may check the status for appeal after 10 working days.

Attached is the appeal form for you to fill in and revert to us via this e-mail with:

1. Photocopy of documentary proof to establish your period of stay in Singapore for a continuous period of six months or more. (E.g.work permit identification card, testimonial letter from school or employer, arrival & departure endorsement in passport etc).

2. Official letter from US authority requesting for police clearance.

Upon completion of Certificate of Clearance, we will be mailed it directly to the requesting authority via registered mail.

Payment can be made by bank draft from Bank of the Philippine Island.

Should you require further assistance or clarification, please contact the Certificate of Clearance (COC)/Records Office at telephone numbers (+65) 64358275 (+65) 64358277) or (+65) 65573985.

Yours sincerely

Veronica Lim

for Head Criminal Records

Criminal Investigation Department

COC Office

they also attached this two forms :

APPEAL APPLICATION FORM:

http://www.google.com.ph/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cic.gc.ca%2Fenglish%2Fresources%2Fmanuals%2Fbulletins%2F2011%2F341-appeal-e.pdf&ei=tvYAUOm1PPHPmAX0vfTrCQ&usg=AFQjCNH_-DigJEftl6TdLEQ9SHne9172EQ&sig2=Op5qScEJ8q0faLnsUxTxMw

Application form for Non Singapore Citizen

www.spf.gov.sg/faqs/doc/coc_appform.pdf

as for me, i guess you need to ask a request form to the USEM here in Philippines, since u already have the case # in manila. Few of the Filipinas who went to SG were not asked about the COC during their interview but some did :(, maybe some consul are already aware that not all can be given, it depends. thats why it bothers me a lot if i still need to get or not, since it's not easy to have a COC, singapore is very strict. :( hope you can also help me and inform me after your wife is done having her interview. how long is your wife working in SG?

I got message from VJ member that they went through this too,but during their process it was like year 2010 she said that US embassy never ask for it.actually,there's 3 members here in VJ that i knew who successfully got the PC/COC in Singapore,i guess the consul are aware that the PC/COC in Singapore now is obtainable and maybe they only give exemption for those applicant who are in SG for less than 6 months.

SPF will process your PC/COC,you just had to provide the required documents... Goodluck guys!!!...

Our Journey Together,Forever...

June 04 Detroit(POE)

June 15 Wedding "Blessed Day!" thank God!

July 13'12 Appointment Civil Surgeon

Adjustment Of Status

July 18'12 Send my application for AOS

July 20'12 USPS delivered my docs. to USCIS Chicago,IL

July 23'12 USCIS received Application(Priority date)

July 26'12 Check cash out/got txt@email,received my application

July 30'12 received mail NOA1(AOS/EAD/AP)

Aug.22'12 Biometrics done(Detroit,MI)

Sept.19 USCIS mailed a noticed they approved my Travel Docs.

Sept.20 EAD card on production(approved in 60 days!)

Sept.25 USPS pick up mail from USCIS(EAD card on the way!)

Sept.27 EAD card received.

Sept 28 went to SSOffice for name change on SSN card.

Oct 05'12 Got my new SSN card.

April 16'13 USCIS emailed Case Status:Card/Document Production.

April 20'13 Recieved mail from USCIS welcome notice.

April 22'13 USCIS email that USPS picked up mail containing my GC.

April 25'13 Green Card on hand,finally!...

Got this email from the US Embassy in Singapore this morning:

The applicant must produce a Singapore police certificate as part of her application. As stated in our previous reply, you should obtain a request letter from NVC in order for the applicant to apply for a police certificate from the Singapore authorities. This office does not issue request letters for cases that are still in the documentary stage.

So I'll need to get the NVC to give us a letter ASAP or else we'll be in trouble if we can't get the police clearance by the time of the interview.

I got message from VJ member that they went through this too,but during their process it was like year 2010 she said that US embassy never ask for it.actually,there's 3 members here in VJ that i knew who successfully got the PC/COC in Singapore,i guess the consul are aware that the PC/COC in Singapore now is obtainable and maybe they only give exemption for those applicant who are in SG for less than 6 months.

SPF will process your PC/COC,you just had to provide the required documents... Goodluck guys!!!...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Got this email from the US Embassy in Singapore this morning:

The applicant must produce a Singapore police certificate as part of her application. As stated in our previous reply, you should obtain a request letter from NVC in order for the applicant to apply for a police certificate from the Singapore authorities. This office does not issue request letters for cases that are still in the documentary stage.

So I'll need to get the NVC to give us a letter ASAP or else we'll be in trouble if we can't get the police clearance by the time of the interview.

You need to fill the attached form, the documents requested at shown on that form and a bank draft of SGD 50.

Follow the instructions and you should be able to receive the certificate.cnccform.pdf

Married: 12/01/2011
USCIS Stage:
I-130 sent: 12/29/2011 NOA1: 01/03/2012 NOA2: 09/24/2012 (Text and website) - 09/28/2012 (In mail) <265 days to approval from NOA1 date>
I-129F sent: 01/14/2012 NOA1: 01/18/2012 NOA2: 09/27/2012 (Withdrawn)
RFE: 08/13/2012 "Proof of Bona Fide marital relationship". (Took them 7 months, 1 week and 4 days to send an RFE).
RFE Responce received by CSC-USCIS on 09/07/2012.
NVC Stage:
NVC Received: 10/09/2012
NVC issued Case #, IIN and BIN: 10/10/2012
IV Package Received at NVC: 12/03/2012

EMBASSY STAGE:
interview March 20, 2013 : results AP (sent in paperwork for co-sponsor received 4-20-2013)

Issued: September 30, 2013

POE: Raleigh-Durham International Airport, NC @ 10-17-2013 (Easy entry, pleasant experience).

Removal of Conditions on Residence:

Filed: August 14, 2015 - VSC

NOA1: 08/19/2015

Date of Decision: 06-03-2013

Letter of Approval received: 06-09-2016

Green Card received: 07-15-2016

Naturlization N-400:

Filed: September 16, 2019

Biometrics: October 9, 2019

Interview: August 24, 2020

Approval: Approved and received Naturalization Certificate same day.

You need to fill the attached form, the documents requested at shown on that form and a bank draft of SGD 50.

Follow the instructions and you should be able to receive the certificate.cnccform.pdf

Musashii, we've seen that document and have talked to the police department here in Singapore but we're having trouble obtaining 5d:

5 d) Photocopy of document from relevant consulate/immigration authority/government

bodies to establish that the certificate is required by such authority. All documents

are to be translated to English if written in other languages.

Until I receive a letter from the NVC requesting the COC, they won't give me the police certificate.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Musashii, we've seen that document and have talked to the police department here in Singapore but we're having trouble obtaining 5d:

5 d) Photocopy of document from relevant consulate/immigration authority/government

bodies to establish that the certificate is required by such authority. All documents

are to be translated to English if written in other languages.

Until I receive a letter from the NVC requesting the COC, they won't give me the police certificate.

I lived in Singapore for 6 years and I will also encounter same difficulty.

I suppose you have to wait till you get a letter from NVC requesting the certificate and then send a copy of that letter along with your request or notify NVC that the certificate will be presented at time of interview.

Married: 12/01/2011
USCIS Stage:
I-130 sent: 12/29/2011 NOA1: 01/03/2012 NOA2: 09/24/2012 (Text and website) - 09/28/2012 (In mail) <265 days to approval from NOA1 date>
I-129F sent: 01/14/2012 NOA1: 01/18/2012 NOA2: 09/27/2012 (Withdrawn)
RFE: 08/13/2012 "Proof of Bona Fide marital relationship". (Took them 7 months, 1 week and 4 days to send an RFE).
RFE Responce received by CSC-USCIS on 09/07/2012.
NVC Stage:
NVC Received: 10/09/2012
NVC issued Case #, IIN and BIN: 10/10/2012
IV Package Received at NVC: 12/03/2012

EMBASSY STAGE:
interview March 20, 2013 : results AP (sent in paperwork for co-sponsor received 4-20-2013)

Issued: September 30, 2013

POE: Raleigh-Durham International Airport, NC @ 10-17-2013 (Easy entry, pleasant experience).

Removal of Conditions on Residence:

Filed: August 14, 2015 - VSC

NOA1: 08/19/2015

Date of Decision: 06-03-2013

Letter of Approval received: 06-09-2016

Green Card received: 07-15-2016

Naturlization N-400:

Filed: September 16, 2019

Biometrics: October 9, 2019

Interview: August 24, 2020

Approval: Approved and received Naturalization Certificate same day.

Update: I called the NVC and they won't give me a letter. they said they will ship our packet to the US Embassy in Singapore along with our explanation that the police certificate is unavailable and the embassy will be the ones to decide if we should need the certificate or not. From what I've already heard from the embassy, they WILL require it. So now we're kind of stuck because neither the embassy nor the NVC wants to give us a letter so we can get the Singapore police certificate.

Other countries should stop giving out police certificates for Singaporeans until they change their stupid policy to let them know how frustrating it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Update 2: We were able to get our police certificate on our own. We just needed to make an appeal at the Singapore Police Station at Cantonment Road (you can get the form at the police station COC office) with a printout of the "p4 for neopost ds-1200" letter that the NVC sent to us confirming our interview date. We pointed out where it showed that our "Singapore Police Certificate" was unavailable. We also brought along the requirements needed by the NVC which states we need a police certificate from every country the applicant has lived in for over 6 months.

After the approval of the appeal, we had to go back to the Singapore police station again to officially file for police certificate and get fingerprints taken. The whole process took us nearly a month so I suggest getting started as soon as you get the interview date from the NVC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.