NeedInfo3839

For Getting Married-- What Do I Need?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Ok, so my fiancee and I will get married in Egypt, summer 2012. I just want to make sure I do it all correctly. So... Thus far, from what I can gather, this is what I will need to get it all done? Please correct me if I am wrong, or add anything that is missing:

1. Resident Stamp on my passport (can't get married without it)

2. My birth certificate (original? Certified copy?)

3. Any forms of identification I have (ID, passport, etc.)

4. Proof of my divorce, after the correct amount of time has passed, of course.

5. A permission letter from the embassy approving my marriage to an Egyptian??? Are they still demanding this?

6. I heard you should stay there for 10 days before getting married, or you could possibly get denied?

What should HE bring?

Am I forgetting anything?

Things Immigration will want later?

Do any of these documents need to be translated into Arabic?

Thank you in advance, I just don't want to give them any excuses to deny us.

--Melissa

Edited by Melissa N Khalid

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi Melissa,

Here is the website for information for getting married in Egypt.

http://egypt.usembassy.gov/consular/acs12.html

It's quite simple and can be done within 1 day if you start out early at the US embassy. The Egyptian embassy doesn't need a permission to marry paper from the us embassy, it's a form that shows you are legally single to get married and if you go to the US embassy first you can obtain this paper. It's one you fill out in English and your SO can fill it out in Arabic.

If you have any more questions just let me know and I'll help as much as I can!

Good luck!

:thumbs:

Edited by And_Sam

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

We went to the embassy first thing in the morning....next to get the resident stamp and then to the translated office....then to get married. ALL IN ONE DAY. I left 2 days after we were married and Tamer went to get the marriage certificate around a week later. He had a couple of copies and then got them translated as well. He sent me one copy and kept the other himself. During this trip I was only there 10 days total. Make sure you read the guides and go online and research all you need for getting married in Egypt. I wouldnt recommend getting married on the first trip to meet his (it will cause a red flag, in most cases). If you have any questions there are plenty of great people on here that will help as much as they can. Best of luck.

We went to the embassy first thing in the morning....next to get the resident stamp and then to the translated office....then to get married. ALL IN ONE DAY. I left 2 days after we were married and Tamer went to get the marriage certificate around a week later. He had a couple of copies and then got them translated as well. He sent me one copy and kept the other himself. During this trip I was only there 10 days total. Make sure you read the guides and go online and research all you need for getting married in Egypt. I wouldnt recommend getting married on the first trip to meet his (it will cause a red flag, in most cases). If you have any questions there are plenty of great people on here that will help as much as they can. Best of luck.

Awwwwww, I hope it won't raise a flag with us, I've known him for nearly 4 years :( I can only visit him in Egypt in the summer, because he works in Saudi Arabia the rest of the year as a teacher, and I can't visit him in Saudi unless I am his wife.... So basically, its either marry him in summer 2012, or I have to wait ANOTHER year to marry him in summer 2013. :(

Awwwwww, I hope it won't raise a flag with us, I've known him for nearly 4 years :( I can only visit him in Egypt in the summer, because he works in Saudi Arabia the rest of the year as a teacher, and I can't visit him in Saudi unless I am his wife.... So basically, its either marry him in summer 2012, or I have to wait ANOTHER year to marry him in summer 2013. :(

I mean I cannot even enter Saudi Arabia, unless I have a Saudi sponsor (family or employer) or I'm married to someone who does.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I mean I cannot even enter Saudi Arabia, unless I have a Saudi sponsor (family or employer) or I'm married to someone who does.

Can you both meet in a 3rd country? It is a red flag to marry in a first meeting. I agree, you should both plan a trip to meet somewhere else PRIOR of taking the plunge.

Good luck to you and congratulations!

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Can you both meet in a 3rd country? It is a red flag to marry in a first meeting. I agree, you should both plan a trip to meet somewhere else PRIOR of taking the plunge.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I concur. Saudis and expats in Saudia frequently visit Bahrain and the UAE over the weekend or holidays. I would guess he will have some time off in Ramadan and could meet you in another gulf country.

While these experiences are new to each new member, they are unfortunately not new to the consulate in Cairo. They've seen many many many marriage based visas come through, and have seen lots of fraud. Marrying on the first meeting is one of the big ol red flags for fraud. Meeting more than once is definitely a big plus, not only for the consulate, but also for your relationship. Meeting more than once, and in different settings will help you to know him better.

But even then, those vacations don't really allow you to know your potential spouse fully. I was just saying to AbuS the other day how, although we knew each other online for 4 years before he came, I only really got to know him once we were actually living together. We spent a bazillion hours talking to each other online, met in person 3 times, and even had my parents and siblings over to Egypt to meet his family. But not until I lived with him 24/7 did I actually really know him.

Not to rain on your parade, just to be a bit of a wet blanket right off the bat, since I'm sure you'll get lots of it here. We're a battle hardened group of people who've seen it all.

Best of luck to you :star: I do hope yours is a fairy tale. We don't see too many of those here. As I frequently say, there is no happily ever after in a visa journey. There is only omGosh this is so freakin hard during the wait for the visa, and omGosh, this is even harder once they arrive. There are happy endings, but they take lots of work for the most part.

Edited by UmmSqueakster

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

cypress seems a nice, neutral, 3rd-party kinda place to meet.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

It is not always a red flag to marry on the 1st trip. Each case is indivdual. Knowing him for almost 4 years is in your favor. You do not have to be in Egypt for 10 days either before marriage. But know that at step of the process they can denie you. If the Egyptian forgien ministry does not feel like approving that paper then they will not that day. But most time's it is so easy you can leave me a personal message and I would be glad to go over it with you.

It is not always a red flag to marry on the 1st trip. Each case is indivdual. Knowing him for almost 4 years is in your favor. You do not have to be in Egypt for 10 days either before marriage. But know that at step of the process they can denie you. If the Egyptian forgien ministry does not feel like approving that paper then they will not that day. But most time's it is so easy you can leave me a personal message and I would be glad to go over it with you.

Oh, I probably should have clarified that... lol. My fiancee is not Saudi. He is Egyptian. He just lives and works in Saudi most of the year as a high school teacher. For meeting, we could always meet in Egypt. But the problem is-- him finding time off work to meet me outside Saudi Arabia-- since I cannot enter Saudi Arabia to visit him, unless I am his wife. He only gets a couple of vacations in a year. That's why we wanted to get married during the first meeting. Like I would stay in Egypt with him for the entire 1 to 2 months of his summer vacation. And we would get married during that time.

I just feel like LIVING with him for a month or two, combined with the time off work problems, and the fact that I can't visit him where he works unless I'm his wife.... Might make our situation different. But I don't know.....

I guess I'm just hoping that living with him 24/7 in Egypt, for a couple of months during his summer vacation, will add up to a lot more time spent together than dozens of visits... He wants to rent a flat while we are there, and stay in it with me from July through August. But its still debatable if he can sleep there with me, until we are married. He was thinking until the wedding, he could stay the night at his parent's house, and see me all day, every day, since he will be off work in the summer. Because some of the people there require that you show a marriage certificate before you can rent a flat together, or rent a hotel room together. And a flat for me, for 2 months, is cheaper than a hotel for 2 months.

My husband had no problem renting a flat before we was married. He did take care of that before I got there. Most men will say my wife is coming and they do not question it. And the second time I came and we was married they did not ask to see our marriage contract. Now hotels that is a whole different story and why most rent flats. Really i can help you out in all of your questions just personal message me

I guess I'm just hoping that living with him 24/7 in Egypt, for a couple of months during his summer vacation, will add up to a lot more time spent together than dozens of visits... He wants to rent a flat while we are there, and stay in it with me from July through August. But its still debatable if he can sleep there with me, until we are married. He was thinking until the wedding, he could stay the night at his parent's house, and see me all day, every day, since he will be off work in the summer. Because some of the people there require that you show a marriage certificate before you can rent a flat together, or rent a hotel room together. And a flat for me, for 2 months, is cheaper than a hotel for 2 months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.