C_María

I-184 sponsor Supporting Evidence

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Okay, I just want to make sure I get this right and I can't seem to find the answer to this question out there though it seems like an obvious one:

I understand that even though I do not meet the income requirements and we are using a co-sponsor I still need to submit my own "I-184 and supporting documents". Are those supporting documents simply my proof of citizenship, proof that I'm over 18 and my current residence in the US (ie: passport and rental agreement) or do I need additional supporting documents such as bank statements or 4506-T evidence of non-file etc.?

Also I've been seeing a lot of people getting RFE'd lately so I want to try to avoid that if possible (don't we all). We're including a lot of information about the co-sponsor's assets and income (3 months of pay stubs, last 3 years tax returns, quarterly statements and dates acquired for investments) and his passport and rental agreement as well. Also because he was in school three years ago we are including transcripts and evidence of non-file. Is there anything else I should put in there to be safe?

Thanks for taking the time to help!

I-129F

NOA1- August 23,2010

NOA2- January 24, 2011 (NOA1-NOA2: 154 days)

NVC Receive- January 31, 2011

NVC Sent- February 1, 2011

Consulate Receive- February 3, 2011

Consulate Sent Packet 3- March 10, 2011 (CDJ Receive-Packet 3 sent: 35 days)

Receive Packet 3 in U.S.- March 21, 2011

ASC Appointment- March 23, 2011

Interview- March 24, 2011

Crossed into the U.S.- April 7, 2011

A.O.S.

I-485 in the mail- June 14, 2011

I-485 received at Chicago Lockbox- June 16, 2011

NOA1- June 17, 2011

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Okay, I just want to make sure I get this right and I can't seem to find the answer to this question out there though it seems like an obvious one:

I understand that even though I do not meet the income requirements and we are using a co-sponsor I still need to submit my own "I-184 and supporting documents". Are those supporting documents simply my proof of citizenship, proof that I'm over 18 and my current residence in the US (ie: passport and rental agreement) or do I need additional supporting documents such as bank statements or 4506-T evidence of non-file etc.?

You only use the 4506-T if you're ordering transcripts by mail. It's far easier to order them over the phone, and you'll get them a lot faster. I've never heard of someone submitting verification of non-filing with an I-864. I'm not aware of any requirement that you have to prove you didn't file a return. However, there IS a requirement that you explain WHY you didn't file a return. Read the I-864 instructions carefully.

Also I've been seeing a lot of people getting RFE'd lately so I want to try to avoid that if possible (don't we all). We're including a lot of information about the co-sponsor's assets and income (3 months of pay stubs, last 3 years tax returns, quarterly statements and dates acquired for investments) and his passport and rental agreement as well. Also because he was in school three years ago we are including transcripts and evidence of non-file. Is there anything else I should put in there to be safe?

Thanks for taking the time to help!

If you have the three years of transcripts, and can get a letter of employment for your joint sponsor, then stop there. You don't need to go back beyond three years, and there is no statutory basis USCIS could use to ask for more than three years worth of evidence.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You don't need proof of citizenship with your I-864, but your co-sponsor does.

If you had zero income and did not file taxes, then you need to send a statement explaining why you legally did not file. It is best to show the IRS pubs that clearly show you were not legally obligated to file.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

We ARE submitting a written explanation why the co-signer did not file for taxes in 2008 but I searched around and read that some people were also including the 4506-T and checking box #7 that will send out a verification of non-filing. Granted it does not specify if one was required file just that they didn't but I thought maybe that would be good to include as supporting evidence. If it's superfluous I'll skip it and it will be one less hassle, we already have the years we requested electronically on their way.

What I really want to know is if I as the sponsor need to include my financial information. I did do taxes two of the three past years and I have a savings and other investments though it falls just short of the requirements. Do I include this information even though they will not be using it to determine eligibility? Do they want to see the money that we are actually using to support the immigrant or just the information for the co-sponsor?

I-129F

NOA1- August 23,2010

A.O.S.

NOA1- June 17, 2011

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, you will need to provide your tax transcripts as well. There is a box to check for number 25 on the I-864 that asks if you filed taxes for the last 3 years. You will not be able to check that, and will need to include the 2 years of transcripts for when you did file, and then an explanation of why you didn't file for the 3rd year.

You do not need to list your savings and other assets unless you want to use them to fulfill the 125% mark. You can just put your current income, and leave it at that. They just want to know your financial situation and see your tax returns.

I had to include a statement as to why I did not file taxes in 2007, and I did not use a verification of non-filing. It was all good in my case.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Thanks Jay-Kay! I'll re-do it since I already filled in my assets but wasn't going to attach my taxes, but seems it's the other way around! Okay then, I'll get this right eventually...

Thank you everyone for your input, it's greatly appreciated!!!

I-129F

NOA1- August 23,2010

A.O.S.

NOA1- June 17, 2011

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.