goldylox

College info for my uk daughter

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

hey

i know this has nothing to do with visas :bonk: ...... i have been trawling through college websites and dont quite get the US school system. My daughter who just turned 18 and has 13 GCSE's is coming to NJ with me. Both of us are a bit miffed to what to do. She is going to have to miss enrolling in college this year because of the pending move to NJ.

Do we have to pay for her college when we are there? I heard that people get scholarships but not sure how that system works. She is so worried about her education and considering staying in London to go to Uni. So in my attempt to convince her to come i have to come up with concrete facts about the school system there and dont have any :))

Do any of you gorgeous VJ's have any information you could share with me to put my mind at rest

:help:

Time Line

USCIS Journey

Service Center Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Marriage : 2009-09-01

CR1

29 Apr 2011 - Sent I-130

10 May 2011 - NOA1

16 Aug 2011 - NOA2

12 Sep 2011 - NVC

15 Sep 2011 - Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill

16 Sep 2011 - Pay I-864 Bill

18 Sep 2011 - Received IV Bill

30 Sep 2011 - Paid IV Bill

15 Oct 2011 - sent I184 documents

20 Oct 2011 - sent in DS230

10 Nov 2011 - RFE (Divorce paper)

12 Nov 2011 - RFE (I184)

23 Nov 2011 - Visited NJ :))

01 Dec 2011 - Posted RFE's

02 Dec 2011 - RFE arrived

04 Dec 2011 - Back from NJ

07 Dec 2011 - CASE COMPLETE Phewwwwwwwwwwww

12 Dec 2011 - Got Interview letter for 12 Jan 2012

20 Jan 2012 - Medical at Knightsbridge got RFE[/size]

28 Jan 2012 - Knightbridge recieved BP request and Abdominal Scan reports

30 Jan 2012 - INTERVIEW !!!!!!!! 221 pending medical evidence

31 Jan 2012 - Embassy received medical file

03 Feb 2012 - DX delivered IR visa and packet for POE

03 Apr 2012 - fly to Philadelphia to start the first day of the rest of my life :)) [/size][/size]

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

hey

i know this has nothing to do with visas :bonk: ...... i have been trawling through college websites and dont quite get the US school system. My daughter who just turned 18 and has 13 GCSE's is coming to NJ with me. Both of us are a bit miffed to what to do. She is going to have to miss enrolling in college this year because of the pending move to NJ.

Do we have to pay for her college when we are there? I heard that people get scholarships but not sure how that system works. She is so worried about her education and considering staying in London to go to Uni. So in my attempt to convince her to come i have to come up with concrete facts about the school system there and dont have any :))

Do any of you gorgeous VJ's have any information you could share with me to put my mind at rest

I am certainly not one of the beautiful people people of VJ, I've been charitably described as resembling an axe-murderer, but I'll give it a whirl. tongue.gif BTW, you don't need to hit me over the head, that hurts. crying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gif I would contact the schools that you are interested in and get more info for international students, if you haven't already. Scholarships are academic and/or athletic based on ability/need. In some cases you need to apply for them, in other cases, they will recruit you. Payment of tuition will vary depending on immigration status, school, etc. Education at the high school level (A levels) tend to be tougher than US high school equivalent but the US university system tends to make it up so that it evens out.

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not sure how it would work at all school's but the first step would be for her to take the ACT or SAT test, from my understanding they mostly go by that score. The high school transcript will be needed also. You need to see what the College she wants and see what they want test wise. Once she is a resident she will be entitled to grants/scholarships etc. The school's are usually pretty helpful letting you know what you can get.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Timeline

hey

She can enroll at a community college and start taking classes which may or may not later transfer to a 4-year institution. But it will keep her busy and learning. Hopefully you are not moving to Union county though, their community college sucks :lol: