NinoniAndBoosBoos

RECENT thread on Moving Companies

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi

I am trying to find a recent forum on advice on chosing a moving company from TO to Sacramento, I have only receieved one quote from United, and will try to 2 others, probably ATLAS and maybe one of Sirva's companies Allied or North American but have heard some horror stories with Sirva's affiliates..any advice would be appreciated.

The U-Pak/Pod option is about the same price as a moving company, so would prefer to use an experieced cross border company.

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My moving story isn't recent but we used United and they were great. They moved my belongings from Chatham, Ontario to south of Atlanta, GA. Everything arrived on time and in great shape. I have no problems recommending them. Good luck.

(edited to correct the name of the company - it HAS been a while, hehehe!)

btw - the Local subsidiary of United was Campbell Bros. In the same load that they brought my belongings down they also brought down a load from Toronto to Savannah and a load from the Kitchener/Waterloo area to Marietta north of Atlanta, so they would probably be available in the Toronto area.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

My moving story isn't recent but we used United and they were great. They moved my belongings from Chatham, Ontario to south of Atlanta, GA. Everything arrived on time and in great shape. I have no problems recommending them. Good luck.

(edited to correct the name of the company - it HAS been a while, hehehe!)

btw - the Local subsidiary of United was Campbell Bros. In the same load that they brought my belongings down they also brought down a load from Toronto to Savannah and a load from the Kitchener/Waterloo area to Marietta north of Atlanta, so they would probably be available in the Toronto area.

thanks Kathryn, United was my first quote. The rep was really great....still have to arrange for 2 or 3 more quotes...and your reply is really helpful..Thanks...(F)

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I used Atlas in 2009 to move from Niagara region to New Jersey. The office staff was great in dealing with all of the border paperwork and a last minute time change. The moving personnel was excellent with packing, loading and unpacking at the other end. Only issue: I moved on a Tuesday and they initially gave me an arrival date of the weekend but an unexpected cancellation caused them to postpone until they had a full truck that was coming in this direction. As a result it was two weeks to the day of leaving Canada that I finally got my stuff.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

we used upack last october and they were awesome. the cheapest we found, and no hassle.

when dealing with u-haul or movers, storage facilities, etc - i always have the feeling that someone is trying to rip me off. i never once got that feeling dealing with upack. which was a pleasant surprise.

Timeline

we used upack last october and they were awesome. the cheapest we found, and no hassle.

when dealing with u-haul or movers, storage facilities, etc - i always have the feeling that someone is trying to rip me off. i never once got that feeling dealing with upack. which was a pleasant surprise.

Upack requires space to keep the pod so you can load it yourself, I also did mention that UPack is about the same price quote as movers, and I don't believe they deal with border crossing paper work, may be wrong but for the same cost as the professional movers, think I will stick with professional movers for now and not worry about trying to find a space for a pod...but thank you.

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmmm. How about shipping from Toronto to Hawaii? lol

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

What kind of dollars are we talking here? We've just started looking into this also. We thought of doing it ourselves with a uhaul but with the cost of gas it may just be worth the extra if it's not THAT much more.

March 1999 - Met online

July 5th, 2001 - Met in person

December 19, 2003 - Got engaged

September 26, 2004 - Got married in Canada and husband (USC) becomes a PR

July 5, 2007 - Our daughter Samantha is born

April 5th, 2011 - I-130 Submitted to Toronto Consulate

April 29th, 2011 - Interview at Toronto Consulate

June 8th, 2011 - Packet 3 received via email

June 9th, 2011 - Packet 3 returned via Expresspost overnight

June 13th, 2011 - Packet 3 received by Consulate

June 16th, 2011 - Packet 3 Logged

June 16th, 2011 - Packet 4 Dated

June 22nd, 2011 - Packet 4 Logged

September 12, 2011 - Medical in Toronto

September 29, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!

? - Visa Received

? - POE

Timeline

thought of doing the drive as well, but too much headache. With such a long wait with this process, I am just going to bite the bullet, do my research, put my faith and trust in a reputable moving company, prey for a positve outcome and worry less about all the other options. I do have some bigger nicer pieces that I have been humming and hawing about, but have decided they will follow me. I think having some of my nice stuff follow me might give me some comfort when and if I start to miss Canada. So far the only quotes I have:

United: around $ 4K

Upack: around $ 3,500

Awaiting quotes from Atlas, will stay away form Allied and North American, too many horror stories with these companies..

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

As I don't have much to move, we are renting a truck from U-Haul and driving to Arizona ourselves. A 10' ft truck for 7 days and 1800 free miles was only 987.00. Its a one way move.

Hi

I am trying to find a recent forum on advice on chosing a moving company from TO to Sacramento, I have only receieved one quote from United, and will try to 2 others, probably ATLAS and maybe one of Sirva's companies Allied or North American but have heard some horror stories with Sirva's affiliates..any advice would be appreciated.

The U-Pak/Pod option is about the same price as a moving company, so would prefer to use an experieced cross border company.

Timeline

What an adventure, with the price of gas included did it come to a grand? I hope you have a safe trip, say hi to the grand canyon for me....;)

As I don't have much to move, we are renting a truck from U-Haul and driving to Arizona ourselves. A 10' ft truck for 7 days and 1800 free miles was only 987.00. Its a one way move.

event.png

Filed: Timeline

I was very happy with having a moving company vs a DIY. It made things so much easier. Immigration is stressful enough. lol

Just a note on AMJ. In my former position we hired AMJ Campbell to move thousands of valuable electronics on a regular basis. On one transport they were negligent in their handling of them and caused almost $200k worth of damages, which they refused to pay out. Just a warning to those thinking of using them.

iagree.gif

• 5 months later...
Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I would appreciate if any of you have used movers to US/or used Uhaul truck to move in the past few months and provide me some information or recommend. Planning to move in early next year.

Thanks and regards.

I used UHAUL back in September. We rented a 14 foot truck and drove it from Ottawa to central Wisconsin. The rental cost $600 (+$100 for insurance - optional, but it provided peace of mind) and including gas, it came to about $1000. Maybe a little more. We had no problems at all at pick up or drop off.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and I rent a UHAUL, 17', Toronto to North Carolina. Truck rental, insurance, gas, hotel and food. Everything together probably cost us around $1,500. Mileage was close to 1500 Km. I am hardly 5' tall but I drove almost 1/3 of the trip. Before we got on the road, I joked about getting a brick tied to my foot so I could reach the gas pad. Did not need to do that. :)

I did not have a lot furniture (that's the main reason I thought we should try self moving), about 30 plastic containers/LCBO carton boxes of stuff, queen size bed & mattress & box, leather sofa (3 seat and love seat), TV Stand, some paintings.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.