linda123

Naturalization and Name Change

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi folks,

My husband will apply for citizenship basing on 3 years in Oct 2011, and he'd like to have his name changed. I know we live in the area where they don't do name changed during naturalization, so he's planning to have his named changed before citizenship application, so by the time of naturalzation comes, things will be in his new name then. I heard elsewhere that name change process can take up to 2 or 3 months. Here are my questions:

1. Does he need to change his name on his 10-year green card? In my opinion, this process can cost money but not neccessary cuz he will apply for citizenship very soon, but if not change now, is there any problem when we fill for N-400?

2. In case he doesn't change name on green card and needs to travel out of the country before starting N-400 application, can he still travel with his green card with his old name, and his country's passport with his old name? Of course, he would have the court order of name change notice together with his passport and green card. Is there any problem for him at the port of entry then?

Your answers are highly appreciated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Are you sure about the name change not being a part of the naturalization ceremony in your area? The oath ceremony is a court proceeding. And requesting the name change in in the first section of the N-400 application.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

While we never used this option, its right smack in the N-400 application, Part 1 subsection D. Its my understanding that by checking that box, told how, and may delay your application somewhat. But seems to be the most logical time to do it when dealing with the USCIS so you are not fooling around with your green card.

Both my wife and stepdaughter were at least commented about not wanting to change their names during their interview, don't see why one local office should be different than another. Well with exception of a same day oath ceremony.

Much easier for a woman to change their last name, just get married, marriage certificate is all she needs. If you don't like your potentials surname, don't marry him, LOL. Wife loves my last name, didn't think about that until now, maybe that is why she married me. Dropping her maiden name on her N-400 was not considered a name change. Thought she took care of that, but went to the library forgetting her card, but said they could look up her last name and she could check out her books. They couldn't find her name, when she got home, forgot her maiden name was still on it, no wonder why they couldn't find her name. That was constant problems for her ever since she decided to use it, even in our phone book, not a custom here.

Filed: Other Timeline

One . . . no, let me rephrase that . . . the biggest thing of the entire naturalization process is the ability to change one's name without any fuss, free of charge, while becoming a US citizen. It's one piece of paper that has to be filled out and printed out 3 times. One stays with the Registrar's Office, one goes into USCIS's file, and the third one is stapled to the Certificate of Naturalization. Since a judge has to perform the Oath Ceremony anyway, it's not even an inconvenience or extra work to speak of.

If somebody offered you to get a free car on Tuesday, would you buy one on Monday?

Name_form.jpg

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.