4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey VJ!

My name is Brad and I am writing this on behalf of my wife. My wife and I met on facebook nearly two years ago. We went through a lot of hard times dealing with our families reactions to our proposed marriage and the immigration process wasn't very easy either. However we made it through and on May 8th we celebrated our one year wedding anniversary. Things are great. My wife has had her green card and social security number for about 6-8 months now. She also has a drivers license and we bought her a car a couple months ago. Now we are both working and planning on our next move, school. My wife is from Iran and immigrated to Toronto, CA. Most of her classes in Iran are Islamic studies and she isn't interested in transferring those credits. She only went to the University of Toronto for one semester and we are currently paying her student loans for that and are told we can't transfer those credits until they are paid off so we aren't waiting for that either. Our main thing that we are trying to figure out is what path do we take to get her back into school. Does she need to take the ACT/SAT or does it depend on the school? Is she applying as a citizen? green card holder? international student?

What we have planned on doing is contacting some of the local colleges and see what they have to say. Unfortunately we are in a little backwoods town and in the times before that I've contacted them to ask questions they either didn't know the answer or acted like they didn't really care to help. What would VJ recommend as our first step in getting my wife back into school. She is interested in going into engineering. She was a top student in both universities that she attended. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if I posted this is the wrong section. I couldn't figure out which spot I should put it in. Hopefully a moderator will move it if necessary.

Brad

[this is a double post. i'm sorry but i think i originally put it in the wrong spot. if i did it again i am sorry for that as well]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from Immigration to Moving Here... and duplicate thread removed *****

She applies as a greencard holder. Considering her age and educational background, I doubt she'll need SAT tests, but the requirements will depend on the school, and how popular the program is.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

She should apply as an LPR. I recently got into graduate school, and will start this fall. Since I wasn't a GC holder yet when I applied, I was considered an intl student so I had to take the TOEFL and send them my transcript which was validated by World Education Services (WES). I also needed to take the GREs. The requirements would be diff for each school so the first step would be to pick a school and a program and see what they need. She might be able to transfer her credits or they could make her start over. If she didn't graduate from college, they might require the SATs since that is a standard requirement, just like the GRE is for graduate school. Goodluck! Apart from those, personal statements and letters of recommendations are also needed, and she might need her HS records.. :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

She should apply as an LPR. I recently got into graduate school, and will start this fall. Since I wasn't a GC holder yet when I applied, I was considered an intl student so I had to take the TOEFL and send them my transcript which was validated by World Education Services (WES). I also needed to take the GREs. The requirements would be diff for each school so the first step would be to pick a school and a program and see what they need. She might be able to transfer her credits or they could make her start over. If she didn't graduate from college, they might require the SATs since that is a standard requirement, just like the GRE is for graduate school. Goodluck! Apart from those, personal statements and letters of recommendations are also needed, and she might need her HS records.. :)

Also, it may be helpful for her to check out the specific engineering departments available and do some research on the faculty there in areas of her interest. They will be published and she can contact them directly to see how she likes them, their teaching style and department. For example- does she like more theoretical classes which will prepare her more for grad school or more hands on which may get her a job faster after graduation? If she gets to know a specific professor who knows her and her background they can not only recommend who she needs to talk to but they may be able to make a recommendation on her behalf for admission. Also, sounds like the credits she had but chooses not to transfer might not apply to engineering and would only serve to make her an upper class student sooner, where the classes cost more. Sounds like a good plan not to transfer those credits, given the circumstances.

Btw, I am an engineer and you can PM me if she has more questions.

Good luck!

K1 Process:

NOA1 17 Sept 10

Touched 3 Oct 10

Placed Service Request 25 March 11

NOA2 4 April 11

Left NVC 15 April 11

Packet 3 letter dated 19 April 11

Packet 3 response sent 6 May 11

Interview 26 May 11

K1 received 1 June 11

Entered US 26 June 11

Married 6 August 11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.