Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Not sure what to do- advice appreciated

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

So I recently got a divorce and have sent in my I751 to remove conditions. I am going back to my home country to visit in June for a few weeks. I have my NOA1 already and my bio appointment is in a few weeks so I am OK to leave the country.

My question is this...

I havent changed my married name back to my miden name yet as I didnt want to leave the country and have it not match up to Green Card. I wanted to avoid any confusion this might cause at Border Control.

However, and this is based on me being optimistic in the fact that I get my conditions lifted, I know that to get a name change on your Green Card costs over $300 so would it be possible to do this whilst ROC is in process? I was thinking of changing everything when I get back to the states from my visit and let USCIS know so that if they do lift conditions then my new card will have my maiden name thus avoiding any additional costs I will have to pay in the future.

What do you guys think? Is it possible to do this or do you think its best just to leave it. I dont want to do anything thatll affect my ROC in a negative way.

Thanks in advance :star:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you divorced you opened up the ability to change your name (like getting married does). You could have written your maiden name on the forms and got your new GC in your maiden name. You should try and change it at your biometrics appointment, that will save a lot of headaches later. Or try making an infopass when you get back.. i'd try the biometrics myself.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I do that at the Biometric appointment? Would that be confusing for USCIS

Thinking back, I shouldve just changed my name and put it in the I751 form as they know that im divorced now anyways, but I didnt want to cause confusion at border control when i leave this summer.

SHould I just wait till I get back? If I do this now and my conditions get lifted will my new card be in my maiden name?

thanks :thumbs:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.