Gingerpants

Driver's License Query

5 posts in this topic

Yesterday my husband received his social security card in the mail which I believe means he's now able to peruse getting a driver's license.

(I've tried finding the answer to my question online at the DMV and other sites, so this is my last try before I give up and call the DMV (which is never pleasant :wacko:))

DH is in his mid-twenties and has never had a driver's license since he's lived in Dublin for most of his youth years. So my question is, will he need to obtain a learner's permit first and remain on that for a year, or can he get a license straight away because of his age?

(We're in Florida)

I realise it may vary from state to state, but hopefully someone here might know.

Thanks!

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent :------------------2010-07-28

I-129F NOA1 :----------------2010-08-05

Transferred to CSC:--------2010-08-10

I-129F NOA2 :----------------2011-01-04

NVC Left :----------------------2011-01-19

Consulate Received :------2011-01-25

Packet 3 Received :---------2011-01-27

Packet 3 Sent :---------------2011-01-27

Packet 4 Received :---------2011-02-17

Interview Date :---------------2011-02-24

Visa Received :---------------2011-03-07

Flight: March 10th 2011!

Married: March 22nd 2011!

AOS

AOS Packet sent :------------2011-04-28

NOA1 :---------------------------2011-05-04

I-485 RFE :---------------------2011-05-16

Biometrics letter : ------------2011-05-23

Biometrics Walk-In :---------2011-05-26

RFE Response :--------------2011-05-31

Transferred to CSC :--------2011-06-14

EAD Approved :---------------2011-06-24

AP Approved :-----------------2011-06-28

EAD / AP Received :--------2011-07-02

AOS Approved :---------------2011-08-04

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

If he's never ever had a driver's license (even in Dublin), I believe he will need a learner's permit. It's not an age thing. My friend, who is also in her mid twenties, had to obtain one as she has never had a driver's license either. Depending on the state, age might play a factor in how long he has to retain the permit. In Minnesota, drivers over the age of 18 have to be on the permit for 3 months. Drivers under 18 have to be on it for 6 months.

Edited by Bsze

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency

07/09/2017 - filed N400 online

07/10/2017 - NOA

08/03/2017 - biometrics done

02/20/2018 - interview & oath ceremony

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/firstlicense.html

Also, http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/educate_sess.html There is some course he will have to do, and then he will get either a temporary driving permit (restricted driver license) or a full driver's license, I can't quite work out which. He should just do the course, get together his documentation, study for the written test, then head on down to the DMV and see what they give him :-) If he can already drive then he can probably do the road test and get the full license, if he can't drive well enough yet then obviously he'll need the restricted permit and keep that until he's ready to do the road test.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yesterday my husband received his social security card in the mail which I believe means he's now able to peruse getting a driver's license.

(I've tried finding the answer to my question online at the DMV and other sites, so this is my last try before I give up and call the DMV (which is never pleasant :wacko:))

DH is in his mid-twenties and has never had a driver's license since he's lived in Dublin for most of his youth years. So my question is, will he need to obtain a learner's permit first and remain on that for a year, or can he get a license straight away because of his age?

(We're in Florida)

I realise it may vary from state to state, but hopefully someone here might know.

Thanks!

Does he have his GC or, at least, his EAD? Florida requires the EAD (at a minimum.)

And, yes, he'll need to take a course (drug/alcohol awareness) to get his learner's. The DMV (Florida) told me that because my wife is an adult (as is your husband) getting her first license, she can take the full license exams right away after the learner's is issued (if ready - skills and written) but that's not going to happen in her case since she's never driven before. In any event, there's no requirement to keep the learner's permit for a year as an adult. Nor will there be the restrictions on the license that 16 and 17 year olds get (daylight driving only, restricted hours, limited passengers, etc.)

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Does he have his GC or, at least, his EAD? Florida requires the EAD (at a minimum.)

And, yes, he'll need to take a course (drug/alcohol awareness) to get his learner's. The DMV (Florida) told me that because my wife is an adult (as is your husband) getting her first license, she can take the full license exams right away after the learner's is issued (if ready - skills and written) but that's not going to happen in her case since she's never driven before. In any event, there's no requirement to keep the learner's permit for a year as an adult. Nor will there be the restrictions on the license that 16 and 17 year olds get (daylight driving only, restricted hours, limited passengers, etc.)

No we're still waiting on approval for his EAD and greencard.

Thanks for the info, that definitely clears things up for me. :thumbs:

So I guess now it will just be back to waiting on the government some more. :whistle:

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent :------------------2010-07-28

I-129F NOA1 :----------------2010-08-05

Transferred to CSC:--------2010-08-10

I-129F NOA2 :----------------2011-01-04

NVC Left :----------------------2011-01-19

Consulate Received :------2011-01-25

Packet 3 Received :---------2011-01-27

Packet 3 Sent :---------------2011-01-27

Packet 4 Received :---------2011-02-17

Interview Date :---------------2011-02-24

Visa Received :---------------2011-03-07

Flight: March 10th 2011!

Married: March 22nd 2011!

AOS

AOS Packet sent :------------2011-04-28

NOA1 :---------------------------2011-05-04

I-485 RFE :---------------------2011-05-16

Biometrics letter : ------------2011-05-23

Biometrics Walk-In :---------2011-05-26

RFE Response :--------------2011-05-31

Transferred to CSC :--------2011-06-14

EAD Approved :---------------2011-06-24

AP Approved :-----------------2011-06-28

EAD / AP Received :--------2011-07-02

AOS Approved :---------------2011-08-04

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.