supraboostsd

Past scar in lung due to primary complex as a child but passed med exam without sputum test

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have been doing a lot of research about scars in lungs and the 3 day sputum test and 2 month delay... Are there any cases where they did see a scar/scars and the Dr. decided it was due to primary complex and that the scar has been there ever since childhood that they would approve the medical examination without the sputum test? My fiance are in this situation right now... I told her that I have just received the NVC case number and asked her questions pertaining to her medical history and she told me about her lung scar due to primary complex as a child but told me she is negative for TB. I did some research on this here (VJ) and was disappointed as to how many couples have been through this same ordeal. I told her to get another x-ray done with a medical certificate so SLEC can compare iy with their findings and she did so yesterday. Would it also be beneficial to have a TB test also done with a medical certificate to prove that she does not have active TB? Would SLEC even consider this? We want to totally avoid the sputum test and the 2 month delay if possible. Fellow VJer's who have had experience in this area please chime in. Thanks.

03/2006 - Met for the first time in the Philippines and then lost touch for 4 years

05/2010 - Met again while on vacation in the Philippines and fell in love

01/17/2011 - Sent in I-129F

01/20/2011 - NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2011 - Touched

03/17/2011 - Went to the Philippines to perform the manhikan (Official Proposal)

04/18/2011 - Returned to US alone :(

05/03/2011 - NOA2 Notice Date

05/05/2011 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received

05/10/2011 - Called NVC and received MNL case number

05/17/2011 - Passed medical

05/18/2011 - NVC letter received

05/19/2011 - Case delivered to US embassy in Manila by DHL

06/15/2011 - Interview complete

06/22/2011 - K-1 Visa delivered

06/29/2011 - Flight to LAX

07/01/2011 - Court wedding

04/01/2012 - Grand wedding in the Philippines

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Supraboostsd,

Welcome to VJ, my dad had the same problem. He had TB when he was a teen-ager got treated and has been TB-free since then, SLEC found a scar in his x-ray and he had to undergo the 3-day sputum test and we have to wait 'til June 22 to find out what the result of the sputum culture is. His sputum tests are all negative. He had an x-ray done in September 2010 by a pulmunologist from our province and SLEC told him to bring it over so they can compare with what they took. I don't think there is a way around it, the only medical certificate that they honored was from my parents' internal medicine doctor stating that their diabetes is under control.

I know it's very frustrating but I guess it's the US embassy rule that SLEC has to implement. I hope this information helps.

I have been doing a lot of research about scars in lungs and the 3 day sputum test and 2 month delay... Are there any cases where they did see a scar/scars and the Dr. decided it was due to primary complex and that the scar has been there ever since childhood that they would approve the medical examination without the sputum test? My fiance are in this situation right now... I told her that I have just received the NVC case number and asked her questions pertaining to her medical history and she told me about her lung scar due to primary complex as a child but told me she is negative for TB. I did some research on this here (VJ) and was disappointed as to how many couples have been through this same ordeal. I told her to get another x-ray done with a medical certificate so SLEC can compare iy with their findings and she did so yesterday. Would it also be beneficial to have a TB test also done with a medical certificate to prove that she does not have active TB? Would SLEC even consider this? We want to totally avoid the sputum test and the 2 month delay if possible. Fellow VJer's who have had experience in this area please chime in. Thanks.

I think it's a good idea for your fiancée to take her latest x-ray with her to her medical at St. Lukes where they can compare it to their x-ray. I also think it's a good idea for her to take a copy of her medical history pertaining to her TB with her to St. Lukes.

However, I doubt that having a private TB test would do any good. First of all, the TB test would take a lot of time since it would need to be a two-month culture in order to be accurate. Secondly, St. Lukes probably wouldn't honor the test anyway. They seem to do what they are going to do. They will certainly give her an x-ray. In all likelihood, they will perform the two-month culture if they find any irregularities in her chest x-ray.

One thing she could do to speed things up is to complete her medical at the earliest possible time, in case she has to undergo the TB culture. That way, she will get done sooner. She can go for her medical as soon as you email her your NOA2 and give her your MNL case number. It's not necessary to have an interview appointment in order to complete the medical.

Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance just called me... We just passed the medical examination! She is now going to take her immunization shots. Thank you lord, we owe everything to you!

03/2006 - Met for the first time in the Philippines and then lost touch for 4 years

05/2010 - Met again while on vacation in the Philippines and fell in love

01/17/2011 - Sent in I-129F

01/20/2011 - NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2011 - Touched

03/17/2011 - Went to the Philippines to perform the manhikan (Official Proposal)

04/18/2011 - Returned to US alone :(

05/03/2011 - NOA2 Notice Date

05/05/2011 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received

05/10/2011 - Called NVC and received MNL case number

05/17/2011 - Passed medical

05/18/2011 - NVC letter received

05/19/2011 - Case delivered to US embassy in Manila by DHL

06/15/2011 - Interview complete

06/22/2011 - K-1 Visa delivered

06/29/2011 - Flight to LAX

07/01/2011 - Court wedding

04/01/2012 - Grand wedding in the Philippines

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Zombie thread transferred from Embassy/Consulate forum to Philippines forum and reported for closure -- OP hasn't logged on to VJ in 18 months. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.