Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

converting visa from B1/B2 into F1 visa!!!

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I have a B1/B2 visa that I'm thinking about coverting into F1 visa when I get into the US I just have few questions:

1- How long does it take to convert the B1/B2 visa into an F1 visa?

2- If my visa gets converted into the F1 visa, does that mean my B1/B2 visa is cancelled and I have an F1 visa or what am I?

2- Will it be possible to leave the country for few months(after the conversion of my B1/B2 visa into the F1) and then return back to the US with ease to continue my studies ?

Thank you very much for answering!!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Visas are issued outside of the US. To qualify for an F1 you would need to be already accepted to a school and you must demonstrate that you have enough money to cover all the costs associated with the program.

Do some reading online to learn the requirements for the F1. http://www.ice.gov/sevis/students/

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318


PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot just enter on B1/2 and then convert your visa status to F1, you have to be accepted by some Univ who would issue you the i-120.

USCIS has been very strict about doing such conversion after 9/11 – they don’t like ppl entering US on B1/2 lie to the CBP officer and when they have full intention to convert their visa.

If you are really serious about studying in US, then you should apply to school in US from your home country, see a CO and get F1 stamped on your passport and enter US on F1.

If you are lucky and you do get your visa converted, and you leave US you cannot enter US without going to consulate and doing an interview with them.

At that point CO would decide if he will grant you F1 or not, and worst case scenario, if he does not then you cannot enter US.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.