Brit in OH

Should I have a stamped I-129s?

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. This is my very first post but I've been lurking on here for quite a while now - just picking up lots of information. Kudos to all the members here - you guys certainly know how the immigration process works. All the info I have gleaned here I will try to pass on wherever I can.

My story is I've been in the US since November 2008 on an L1. Met the wife the year before that and finally accepted the "I really want you to work in the US as opposed to the UK" offer from the boss. We got married in Sept 2009 and have a little one on the way - due Sept 10th. My AOS is currently being processed (sent it off a week or so ago - checks cashed but not much movement on it yet).

My question is regarding my I-129s. This is the form I got stamped at the US Embassy in London when I first got my L1 and, from memory, I gave all the copies to the immigration officer when I first came over on my L1. I have a copy of it (although unstamped version) and the I-797 Blanket L1 form. I've seen stuff on sites implying that I should have a stamped I-129s. In all honesty, I may have mislaid it, I might not have gotten it back from the immigration officer - I really cannot remember. I've never needed it on re-entry - just always used the L1 in my passport.

Do you guys think I should be worries about this? If I do need a stamped version, is there anywhere I can get a copy from? Maybe USCIS themselves?

Apologies if this is in the wrong area - it's kind of related to AOS but feel free to move if you think it's necessary.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and in advance for any replies.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anything I say is stated "as is" - just trying to help but always do you own research! View our timeline

Well, since no in answering this... I will take a stab (and at least bump the thread). From what I gather, I-129s is the L visa application? For AOSing from other visas, the original application is not required. They can take the number from the visa in your passport and link it to your file. I have not heard of anyone needing the original application, but maybe L is a unique case. What other online sources said you need the original I-129s? What do the USCIS instructions say?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'll also admit that this is outside the areas that I've studied, but my understanding is that the employer files the I-129, and USCIS keeps the form. I wasn't aware that the employee would ever see this form again, stamped or otherwise.

Are you sure you're not thinking of a stamped I-94? That would be the card you filled out on the airplane, and handed to the immigration officer when you arrived. They remove the bottom portion of the card, stamp it with your date of entry, immigration classification (L-1, in your case), and date of expiration. They usually staple this portion of the card into your passport. You're supposed to include a copy of this card with your AOS petition.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Thanks both - I had the luxury of a lawyer preparing all of the L1 paperwork (company had a blanket visa too which made things really easy). There were 3 copies of the I-129s (all of which I got stamped at the London Embassy) and I just wasn't sure if I was meant to have one still with me. I've definitely got the I-94 - made a copy of that for my AOS paperwork. Never been asked for it on entry to the US so I think I might just be being slightly paranoid!

Thanks again for the responses - really appreciate it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anything I say is stated "as is" - just trying to help but always do you own research! View our timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.